Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Petingo wrote: »
    Yay to that, Vic.

Mind you, we'll need a widescreen TV to fit Danny K in :D

Or just to fit his four chins in Pet. :)
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingcahoot wrote: »
    Interesting listening to the gushing praise of Troy Deeley this afternoon on the station. Saggers, Collymore and Matterface are talking constantly about how he's turned his life around, managed to score in the semis and even paid tribute to him getting tickets for two prison warders. How different would it have been if an African player for example had done the sane thing. Probably have Saggs saying what a disgrace to have a spear chucking immigrant not only playing in the final but in the country in the first place.

So the TS ship s firmly docked in Watford FC's port then?

That's the party line?

That's a bit of a surprise given their ownership & the fact they are managed by some sort of excitable Latin, albeit a legendary one. The Chelsea connection must have swung it for Matterface & Saggers.

Though, to be honest I would have thought that Palace would have been the preferred choice with a bluff no nonsense homegrown foot in mouth carrot cruncher at the helm.

Maybe they reckon on Watford for better copy next season. Or maybe it's because Palace (admittedly under a previous ownership) & TS presenters haven't mixed too well in the past....to the point of threats & violence .
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Parry has already said on his twitter account that he won't be teaming up with Brazil again so that's not on the cards which i'm happy about.
    Nice to hear Danny Kelly sitting in for Keys and Gray but the downside from my point of view is that i have to put up with Quinn aswell

Stan Collymore has just tweeted:

If you like Baker & Kelly, there'll be some very good TV news for you in the coming weeks too!

I found it funny that he also tweeted

Sports fans will love Danny Kelly 10am-1pm this summer. Loves his footie, cricket rugby, cycling. À very very funny man. @talkSPORT summer.

ha ha no mention of quinn

Some very good TV news?, so they're hitting TV are they that's bad news for all us that wanted them on talkspowert. :(
  • matburmatbur Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Mickey Quinn has to be the weakest presenter on talkSPORT now after Irani's exit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    Moore has a background in law which helps immensely.
    I've never been much of a fan of his, mainly as I can't abide rugby, & I missed the show this morning, but whenever he has been on in the past he's always been very impressive.
    Unless TS threw absolutely silly money at him I can't see him taking the breakfast gig permanently. And TS are in no position to throw cash at anyone right now.
    Which bodes ill for Al, but well for the rest of us, when the purple Pishtank's extremely lucrative contract runs out in the winter.
    Here's hoping an Irani style toys out of the pram scenario well before then when he realises that it's buttons or the push after December.

I agree if talksport are losing listeners then eventually sooner than later that'll mean they're losing money and as we're always saying on here they're a private company dependent of making profits so Brazil's £350,000 annual salary will be one of the first things they will look into after his contract expires.
    Knowing purple-head if the past is anything to go by he'll go in moaning he wants a rise, he might get a shock this time, a big one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matbur wrote: »
    Mickey Quinn has to be the weakest presenter on talkSPORT now after Irani's exit.

I'd actually put Forde out in front on that one, (way out) then Quinn, then Goldstein, then Gould (Bobby), then Gough, then Abrahams, but we're not a million miles away from agreeing. :p
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I'd actually put Forde out in front on that one, (way out) then Quinn, then Goldstein, then Gould (Bobby), then Gough, then Abrahams, but we're not a million miles away from agreeing. :p

That's a tough call Billy.

If Micky Quinn is the frying pan, Greggs Forde is the wok.:eek:

I can't really separate them.:D
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Only about half an hour into the Breakfast Show and Moore already showing his class - an Item on Anchem Choudry by the news reader and Brazil cuts across her and demands to know why the BBC are giving Choudry airtime - the news reader is flummoxed but Moorte saves the day and comes in to explain that the BBC see it as part of their public service remit to show a balanced view(right or wrong) - he then further went on to add that their is an argument that it is wrong to allow this especially in cases of inciting murder -
    ?
    I heard that too, the news reader was very flummoxed to the point of not talking any sense. Straight after Moore chipped in the ever unprofessional Al piped in 'now for the important matter of the day' :rolleyes: referring to the play off final......bad timing I thought.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree if talksport are losing listeners then eventually sooner than later that'll mean they're losing money and as we're always saying on here they're a private company dependent of making profits so Brazil's £350,000 annual salary will be one of the first things they will look into after his contract expires.
    Knowing purple-head if the past is anything to go by he'll go in moaning he wants a rise, he might get a shock this time, a big one.

That ten percent drop in ad revenue is what will worry them more thn anything else. A drop in listeners is manageable, as long as its not haemorrhaging as long as the ones they pick up in their place are the right type. See this summer with the Lions tour. They won't worry about many of their traditional White Vans bailing (as long as there are enough who just can't be arsed to change) if they get enough Tobys & Ollies so beloved of advertisers to take up a bit of the slack.

The revenue drop in the last quarter is a bit of a calamity though. They reckon on poor figures for the summer but not the winter. That's what has forced any staff changes. And with Brazils huge wage, I can see them moving sooner rather than later to address that. They may be willing to take a hit & pay him what remains of it now to get rid if someone worthwhile comes available. My heart wanted Danny Baker in this scenario but that looks unlikely if the TV thing comes to fruition.

Any roads I don't think we'll have to suffer Brazil for too much longer. I dont think ( & as sure as eggs is eggs these words will come back to bite me on the arse) he'll be on TS come the new year. Hopefully earlier.

All that said, given the mentioned calamitous revenue drop, they are asking a big risk forking out for the Lions Tour now, they must be praying he get good enough A & B1 listeners to make it worthwhile.
    I wonder if they would have bothered bidding in the first place if they thought that sort of drop was looming?
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    I heard that too, the news reader was very flummoxed to the point of not talking any sense. Straight after Moore chipped in the ever unprofessional Al piped in 'now for the important matter of the day' :rolleyes: referring to the play off final......bad timing I thought.

He's has no compunction about timing or wading in Jack. Probably slipped through the net in the wake of Ronnie's departure last week, but on Ronnie's final show (and before the journalist outed Ronnie's departure) they were discussing the comments made by Carl Froch about what he would be doing to Mikkel Kessler in their upcoming fight. I won't repeat what Carl said, I think we all more or less know and Carl subsequently apologised. But this was before Carl did apologise and Big Al was saying it was all fine, Froch was "selling the fight etc etc .. " well what total crap, the fight was a total sell in any event and Brazil was more or less condoning the violence threatened by Froch, and all this on the day following the terrible events in Woolwich!! I was amazed how he could actually say such things live on the air. Whether Ronnie knew at that moment that it was going to be his last breakfast show I do not know but he actually told Brazil how inappropriate his comments were, so well done Ronnie on that occasion.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to prefer Talksport when it was Talk Radio and had the right mixture of general talk and sport. I remember when Gary Newbon used to encourage fans to ring in from football grounds with their thoughts and interesting hosts like Peter Deeley and Nick Abbot.
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I used to prefer Talksport when it was Talk Radio and had the right mixture of general talk and sport. I remember when Gary Newbon used to encourage fans to ring in from football grounds with their thoughts and interesting hosts like Peter Deeley and Nick Abbot.
    Do you know the brilliant Nick Abbot is on LBC Fri & Sat 10pm - 1am.......he's worth the plug.;)
  • Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still deliriously happy lhat Ronald Charles has finally gone. The poorest presenter of all time and a thoroughly unpleasant individual. Congratulations to all at Talkforum on a mission accomplished on the RIIAC Campaign.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    That ten percent drop in ad revenue is what will worry them more thn anything else. A drop in listeners is manageable, as long as its not haemorrhaging as long as the ones they pick up in their place are the right type. See this summer with the Lions tour. They won't worry about many of their traditional White Vans bailing (as long as there are enough who just can't be arsed to change) if they get enough Tobys & Ollies so beloved of advertisers to take up a bit of the slack.

All that said, given the mentioned calamitous revenue drop, they are asking a big risk forking out for the Lions Tour now, they must be praying he get good enough A & B1 listeners to make it worthwhile.
    I wonder if they would have bothered bidding in the first place if they thought that sort of drop was looming?

The comparison of the revenue figures is with 2012, a year which included Euro 2012, a London Olympics and a Diamond Jubilee. All of these events generated exceptional sponsorship and advertising opportunities, and that was never likely to be repeated in 2013.

This is the full statement:
    The trading challenges experienced in Q1 are expected to continue across our divisions in Q2 with year on year revenue declines attributable to adverse market conditions and the absence of a major sporting event in the first half of 2013.

Industry forecasts for radio and television are positive for both 2013 and 2014. Forecasts from media agencies suggest that the GB radio market will see a return to growth in H2 of 2013.
    However given the current challenging conditions we remain cautious about the outcome for the year and we have therefore implemented additional cost saving measures. The Group’s cash generative ability, relatively low borrowings and market leading media assets put us in a strong position to maximise growth opportunities when markets recover.

In seeking out growth opportunities we have been encouraged by recent successes by talkSPORT International in establishing a relationship with Adrep in China and in reaching further syndication agreements in other international markets. We were also pleased to renew our two domestic Barclays Premier League packages for a further three seasons on satisfactory terms and anticipate that next year’s World Cup will provide a significant boost to talkSPORT revenues in 2014.

http://www.utvmedia.com/resources/documents/I/M/S/IMS-May-2013.pdf

In summary, they expect the dip in revenues to be temporary. The last thing they would want to do is stop bidding for sports contracts that will bring sponsorship and advertising revenue to the station. The parent company has plenty of funds to allow them to bid competitively.

Talk Radio made heavy losses in each of the five years on-air, because the demographics of the audience were all wrong for advertisers. Every attempt to start a general commercial talk station in the UK has been a financial disaster for the same reason. LBC is loss-making but is kept on-air because it shares studios (and ownership) with Heart & Capital.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Best thread on here guys . I don't post often ( haven't got the time 0 but enjoy reading all the comments.
    Got to echo everyone else's thought's on Irani the guy was useless and a pain in the arse . He got paid an absolute FORTUNE for bascially bugger all.

Would like people's thought's on Alvin Martin , for me he is the most under used pundit on the station. Insightful , knows the game , likeable and good no matter who he is alongside. Wish the station would use Alvin more.
  • delboy1953delboy1953 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    The up coming Lions tour is not going to do them any favours
    nor is the Ashes.
    They don't do these kind of things well enough to attract listeners.
    The recent Rugby World Cup and last Football world cup
    were disasters
    Everything must be blanket coverage of the event every minute.
    They would be better being selective and putting money into a more professional approach
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I am still deliriously happy lhat Ronald Charles has finally gone. The poorest presenter of all time and a thoroughly unpleasant individual. Congratulations to all at Talkforum on a mission accomplished on the RIIAC Campaign.

Bit harsh - we still have the biased Scouser Quinn, the very average Andy Jacobs not to mention the Sports Bar team who hardly set the world on fire!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Some very good TV news?, so they're hitting TV are they that's bad news for all us that wanted them on talkspowert. :(

I read something on Danny Baker's twitter a couple of months back about them doing something together and also mentioning Danny Kelly joining twitter but cant recall or find what it was all about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Bill Young wrote: »
    Bit harsh - we still have the biased Scouser Quinn, the very average Andy Jacobs not to mention the Sports Bar team who hardly set the world on fire!

Andy is ok, Quinn is a cretin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thread on here guys . I don't post often ( haven't got the time 0 but enjoy reading all the comments.
    Got to echo everyone else's thought's on Irani the guy was useless and a pain in the arse . He got paid an absolute FORTUNE for bascially bugger all.

Would like people's thought's on Alvin Martin , for me he is the most under used pundit on the station. Insightful , knows the game , likeable and good no matter who he is alongside. Wish the station would use Alvin more.

Hi Brian,
    Great that your posting and hope we see more of you when you can in future, I don't think you'll get any arguments what your saying about Alvin Martin everyone on here agrees that he's one of the best. It's typical of talksport that he's under-used so much, I'd have him paired up on the daily breakfast show if Baker & Kelly didn't get it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    brian moore is so far ahead of anybody else who is trying out to be on the breakfast show i actually feel for them

if he wants it (i very much doubt) he should be a shoe in

brazil this morning actually listened to him on various subjects without interrupting (mainly because he knew he could not compete with a brain) but regardless of that it was a good show

he also came out with the immortal line when chatting to some cheerleaders who were in the studio "so you would like to be taking up the chard whilst you are in London?"

Brazil was to busy suggesting wine bars for them to visit (jesus wept) to understand Brians gag.

I fear Matt Holland will get it, he seems a nice guy tbf but i can just see 2 months in him being over run by Brazil and taking the easy way out.

Hope not.

As for those suggesting Danny Baker but only on him discussing sport only? I would rather have Danny Baker discussing toilet roll the history of than any of the other viable suggestions (moore aside)

If you really think if he ever did join talksport (cant see it) he would stick to the format suggested think again

And he is all the better for it, the only time i listen to 5 live is 9-11 saturday morning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate the 24 hour round-the-clock sport schedule it was much better when it alternated between sport in the day time and general topics discussion in the evenings, now it's just too much sport. (football in the main)

You can have too much of a good thing you know Mr Fisher!!!.
    Forum Member
    I hate the 24 hour round-the-clock sport schedule it was much better when it alternated between sport in the day time and general topics discussion in the evenings, now it's just too much sport. (football in the main)

You can have too much of a good thing you know Mr Fisher!!!.

I wasn't one of Mike Grahams biggest fans by I'd love to have him back doing his old overnight show if just to see what Nigel from Maidstone been getting up too.:D
  • old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think there will be a lot of auditioning over the next 2 months aside from the lions tour coverage which has a very strong line up..There will also be some worried staff at TS (I hope) after Irani s departure from the breakfast slot.Quinn Goldstein Abrahams Gould Brazil hopefully top of the dump list.Irani must be hurting in the pocket going from 20 hours a week down to 2 and I doubt if that arrangement will last more than a couple of months.Wonder if Brazil will help him out ......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Abrahams is a sports news presenter, he's safe< he's carved out his own "persona" on TS and is living by that. Goldstein is a terrible "I am" type presenter, who bullies his way through programmes. Gough is a crap persona, but he 's ok next to a decent presenter like Durham. Please please please kick out the smug and self congratulatory Keys & Gray,
This discussion has been closed.