Options

Why don't the candidates get to use iPhones?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
Each team has a phone or two, or three that they use to communicate with each other but the teams are never given iPhones, it's always another phone.

I'm not sure if an iPhone has been used in previous series.

Do you think it's because of Lord Sugar's comment about the iPod? :p

Comments

• Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I would imagine it's because the phones they do use are just as good as iPhones, but 1/4 of the price.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they use iPhones?

(Genuine question, is there some they have which other phones don't?)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally they are not allowed to use the internet, so I too wonder what advantage they would get from an iPhone over something cheaper.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread of the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know they're not allowed to use the Internet. That's not my question. I mean, an iPhone looks professional so I just thought they would have one.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they use Android phones, specifically HTC, which are better. :)
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Because they use Android phones, specifically HTC, which are better. :)

No they're not
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    No they're not

They certainly aren't worse....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they're not

The world disagrees.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    The world disagrees.

Nope they dont
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The model of phone changes each series; the first series I watched they were using a nokia one where the screen slid up to revel the keys underneath (I remember it because I had the same one at the time). I'm fairly sure they used Blackberries another year; there's probably been an iPhone somewhere in the show's past!
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that in Series 1, there was a lot of Amstrad product placement, because that was still going then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope they dont

I can see why the producers chose to give the candidates Android phones. As with business, there is a need to stay relevant and up to date with current technology, especially globally, and what better than devices running the #1 mobile operating system worldwide? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    We'd see an article in the Daily Mail moaning about a secret pact with Apple for product placement.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    iPhones are not some sort of industry standard... plenty of tech fans despise them. My partner is a massive follower of tech and thinks they're a joke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that in Series 1, there was a lot of Amstrad product placement, because that was still going then.

I don't know about a 'lot', but there was the jukebox advertisement task in s1 and the Amsair card advertisement task in s2. They also went to one of Sugar's computer assembly lines for a task briefing in s1 too. I don't remember too much else that was too 'in your face' though.

On a separate note, that reminded me of the celebrity memorabilia auction task which I think was only done once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the Android devices they have are specially configured to limit exactly what they can be used for. Perhaps i-phones are more difficult/costly to lock down as required.

Who knows?

Probably is just cost though. The TV license fee has been frozen so I imagine the costs of everything are closely scrutinised.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Nope they dont

Perhaps the rest of us don't inhabit planet Joel's dad.
  • Options
    ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Maybe the Android devices they have are specially configured to limit exactly what they can be used for. Perhaps i-phones are more difficult/costly to lock down as required.

Who knows?

Probably is just cost though. The TV license fee has been frozen so I imagine the costs of everything are closely scrutinised.

I seriously doubt they are paying a penny for the phones.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere for a previous season it's because he was associated with the company making the phone. Not sure how true it was/is or where I read it but it seemed pretty convinicing at the time.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    I know they're not allowed to use the Internet. That's not my question. I mean, an iPhone looks professional so I just thought they would have one.

An iPhone looks far from professional. It's a fashion accessory for certain types of people rather than a half decent phone.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    An iPhone looks far from professional. It's a fashion accessory for certain types of people rather than a half decent phone.

Let me guess, you like android?

Anyway, why on earth is this thread continuing - weird thing to be discussing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »

Explain to me how an iPhone is half decent? It does its job does it not?
  • Options
    Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably use whatever they can get for the best price.
    Anyway, iPhone's are just too common now :p
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people assume they are obtained specially? They could just as well be issued with whatever phones the production company has available. As long as it can handle phone calls and has a speaker and can have internet access disabled it doesn't matter which make. However iPhones, like Blackberries, are very recognisable and could look like an advert. So an anonymous looking Android phone is perfect.