breathless

Comments

• SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Iain Glen is the the father of Mrs Powell's son, isn't he?
    I must be stupid! :( I've missed all these snippets that other people have picked up? (Will watch more closely in future!)
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I must be stupid! :( I've missed all these snippets that other people have picked up? (Will watch more closely in future!)

Well, you and me both...is this actually what was said or mere speculation?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Well, you and me both...is this actually what was said or mere speculation?
    I don't know really - people seemed to have heard and noticed parts of scenes that have just passed me by? (I feel like I've failed an exam, lol.)
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's mere speculation, I think. I don't remember or recall Elizabeth, Otto or even Mulligan saying that Thomas was Mulligan's son. All that's been hinted at is some incident taking place in Cyprus that will jepodise (sp) Otto and Charlie's careers and reputations. I'm not saying it (Mulligan is Thomas's dad) isn't possibly correct (we just don't know), but for me at the moment it just doesn't seem to fit the story we have so far.

First off, Mulligan's son died in the canal, and the loss seems to put a wedge in the Mulligan family. Also, his palming off his daughter to a man she doesn't love really feels creepy. (IIRC, his daugther Maureen didn't want to marry some guy her parents were keen that she should or something along those lines) Second, he is infatuated with Elizabeth. With that kind of slimey obsession, would he have given up on Elizabeth so easily if she had been pregnant with his own child? I don't know, but this show has so much mystery to it, it holds enough of my attention. Yes, there may be some anomalies but I do love the settings and the wardrobe, even the drama's slow pace is pitched just right for the kind of show it wants to be.

I agree with the poster who said that Jack Davenport improves with age. His protrayal of Otto Powell is delightful. The whole cast itself has been wonderful, I feel. I just hope that whatever the mystery that keeps the Powells and Charlie on tender hooks justifies its build-up once its revealed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Nihonga;69654266]I agree with the poster who said that Jack Davenport improves with age. His protrayal of Otto Powell is delightful. The whole cast itself has been wonderful, I feel. I just hope that whatever the mystery that keeps the Powells and Charlie on tender hooks justifies its build-up once its revealed.[/QUOTE]
    The only thing I don't like is his voice which has a weird sort of flatness to it - can't really put my finger on what it is? Not exactly a monotone, just not many rises and falls in his delivery somehow. (I always feel he could 'try harder'!) :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I don't like is his voice which has a weird sort of flatness to it - can't really put my finger on what it is? Not exactly a monotone, just not many rises and falls in his delivery somehow. (I always feel he could 'try harder'!) :confused:

That's quite true, now you've pointed it out. It really does jump out at you, doesn't it?

I think he just about gets away with it, but only because his voice isn't quite devoid of all warmth, at least to me anyway. As it is, it's almost as if he refuses to emote his emotions through his voice, particularly during moments he is seeminlgly so passionate over Angela. The tone and register he uses - that semi-detached way of it - is quite alright when he's addressing a patient (and I say 'semi' because I can tell he does care about his patients; it is probably the only real emotional outlet on offer to him at the moment.)

But all that also makes his character what he is: whatever happened in Cyprus, he has almost become a little guarded as a result, e.g. abstaining from drinking alcohol (drink loosens the tongue and lowers your inhibitions). It also makes his relationship with Angela fascinating because she's probably the one person he might lose all reserve to, if he wasn't so 'closetted' in his mannerisms (which comes as a result of the Cyprus incident). It was quite sweet, for instance, when they furtively clasped one another's hand as they were leaving the hospital.

Only time will tell if any of that changes when he doesn't feel he has to subconsciously look over his shoulder all the time.
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've a feeling it might be military-related - perhaps a soldier killed in friendly fire and covered up, or some such thing. We get shown that pic of Otto in uniform so often, that I can't help thinking they're bashing us over the head with the 'Brits in Cyprus' bat.

Ah, now I didn't think of that, but yes, it could be something of that sort. I should have remembered about the British forces in Cyprus, as my husband spent a couple of years there in the RAF, though that was much later in the 1960s. Oh well, hopefully the secret will have been worth waiting for! I'm really enjoying the programme, I like the pace and the acting is excellent.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Watching first episode at the moment. It's watchable but feels a bit am-dram and not very authentic.
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I have really enjoyed it. The storylines are interesting and I like most of the characters.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God this is nearly over, 5 episodes and NOTHING has happened,Total waste of a program. Only watched cos of the wife :(
  • gv6lgv6l Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first 2 episodes over again to see if I could get any clues about Cyprus. I'm still no wiser.
    I wondered if Thomas has been brought up by Otto and Mrs P, but he is indeed the child of the Inspector, but I think the timing is out. Cyprus was 9 years before and Thomas is 8.

Also does anyone know when the inspector fell in love with Mrs P, was it in the past or just since he found them again?
    Are we going to see his wife again? the story line with his daughter has to go somewhere. That's an incredibly slow burner.

I'm still enjoying it though I'm still in the dark.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if we're non the wiser when it's all over.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Iain Glen is the the father of Mrs Powell's son, isn't he?

I thought it was Charlie who's the daddy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    That's quite true, now you've pointed it out. It really does jump out at you, doesn't it?

I think he just about gets away with it, but only because his voice isn't quite devoid of all warmth, at least to me anyway. As it is, it's almost as if he refuses to emote his emotions through his voice, particularly during moments he is seeminlgly so passionate over Angela. The tone and register he uses - that semi-detached way of it - is quite alright when he's addressing a patient (and I say 'semi' because I can tell he does care about his patients; it is probably the only real emotional outlet on offer to him at the moment.)
    At the risk of being jumped on - he's had the same voice and delivery throughout his entire career! ;) (He still sounds like Miles in This Life to me, lol.)

We did learn a lot more about past events in the last episode, but there's a way to go yet. I'm refusing to speculate any more! :D
    Forum Member
    What an odd ending....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a creepy ending. I think Elizabeth's pregnant again, but this time with Mulligan's child. Now she's asking Otto to stay with her and raise yet another child that isn't his.

And Mulligan - what a desperate sleaze he turned out to be! Infatuated with a woman who really couldn't careless for him. I was hoping to have some sympathy for him, given what happened to his son, but no, he made me feeling icky instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of being jumped on - he's had the same voice and delivery throughout his entire career! ;) (He still sounds like Miles in This Life to me, lol.)

We did learn a lot more about past events in the last episode, but there's a way to go yet. I'm refusing to speculate any more! :D

Well, that's blown my theory out the water!:D
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Don't forget Angela's reappearance of her husband. That came out of the blue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Don't forget Angela's reappearance of her husband. That came out of the blue.

I read in some spoiler that someone from Angela's past would turn up, so I suspected it would be her 'missing' husband. What I didn't expect was for him to black. I hope her marriage represents more than the showrunners just wanting to spice up the drama for no other reason than Angela marries a "wrong 'un. Hint, hint":rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the series a whole. Even like the creepy ending, lol! I'll admit that there was a part of me that thought why Otto had to bribe Mulligan in the end. It wasn't until recently that drink-driving was an offense. I don't know what penalties there was in the 60s. But I suppose there are different rules if you're in the army.

And then Richard has an epihany from nowhere about Jean. I need to re-watch that part again.

ETA: Haha! I missed the bit where Elizabeth said she was "pregnant, I think". Well, either she's pregnant or she'll pretend to be and try to get Otto to fall in love with her instead.

I see why ChrissieAO thought it was an odd ending. It did seem to finish mid-sentence.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this series. It caught the period perfectly, the hair and costumes were great, it was quirky, the story went to interesting places and unexpected plot lines, it looked fantastic, all the performances were spot on. It was like Mad Men for doctors in England with its secrets and superficially perfect lived that were all disordered beneath the surface. I thought it had great potential but I suppose it will not come back because not enough people watched it. It ended in such a way that you wanted to know what happens next, the producers setting up for another series that will not come. The theme music gas got inside my head too.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did they do with Mulligans body. I think I might have missed that.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I have mixed feelings about this drama..I stuck with it..but sky plussed it and watched it Friday mornings whilst mooching the internet.was a slow burner and didn't hold my attention long enough to put the lap top down and concentrate fully..it was Ok..ded do some rewinding to take it all in this morning..but left feeling a bit..right that's it then..good cast but could have been much better
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    What did they do with Mulligans body. I think I might have missed that.

Nothing, as far as we know.
    Forum Member
    Maybe there will be another series...there are certainly a lot of loose ends. I guess it depends on how popular the series was....
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Maybe there will be another series...there are certainly a lot of loose ends. I guess it depends on how popular the series was....

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I suspect it depends on the viewing figures, which were okay, but nothing special.

As for the body - well, Otto and Charlie are both doctors - so disposing of a body would be quite easy for them.