Options

What is your favourite city (worldwide)?

Comments

• Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with the Kyoto mention here, what a great place, just squeezing the lovely Prague into second place.

Also a big fan of NYC, Barcelona, Santander, Vigo, Toulouse, Rome, Arequipa (Peru), Bath, Cheltenham (towns, i know).

As for Singapore, yes its undemocratic and has the death penalty but you can walk around at 2am without any hassle, even while carrying a bundle of cash in your hands (if you so wished to). Also, the government does care about its (ethnic Chinese) citizens and sees itself as a father; as long as you dont rock the boat, you are ok. Same applies to most of China (Shenzhen/guangzhou excluded) in that it's pretty safe, exc petty crime, but there the govt isnt so benevolent. As for anyone thinking this country is a democracy, dream on ... its self-serving, dangerous, mismanaged and run by shysters

As for Sheffield on here, WTF

I've only been able to Google images of Kyoto so far, but its gardens look very beautiful. I've wanted to visit Japan for ages anyway (Tokyo also appeals, although its size does seem a little overwhelming to me).

I'd like to check out Prague also, and Chicago.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I haven't traveled the world so can't really say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't traveled the world so can't really say.

British cities count too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    I've only been able to Google images of Kyoto so far, but its gardens look very beautiful. I've wanted to visit Japan for ages anyway (Tokyo also appeals, although its size does seem a little overwhelming to me).

Yeah, the gardens were amazing. I think spring and autumn (when i went) are the best times as you have the multicoloured trees as a stunning backdrop. Tokyo is craaaaazy but worth visiting as it is truly unique, other cities (Seoul, Osaka, Taipei) are all pale imitations of it. Prague is amazing too. Chicago, yeah I'd like to go there too.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the gardens were amazing. I think spring and autumn (when i went) are the best times as you have the multicoloured trees as a stunning backdrop. Tokyo is craaaaazy but worth visiting as it is truly unique, other cities (Seoul, Osaka, Taipei) are all pale imitations of it. Prague is amazing too. Chicago, yeah I'd like to go there too.

Yes I'd definitely plan on heading there during either autumn or spring. I'm sure Tokyo is exciting but I just find the thought of 33 million people in one city a bit daunting; we're talking half the UK population! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Yes I'd definitely plan on heading there during either autumn or spring. I'm sure Tokyo is exciting but I just find the thought of 33 million people in one city a bit daunting; we're talking half the UK population! :o

Yeah, the metro on Friday night in Tokyo is really horrific but other times it never felt as cramped as in Hong Kong, where any simple walk to get a coffee takes ages due to human traffic jams. But, Tokyo go go go :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the metro on Friday night in Tokyo is really horrific but other times it never felt as cramped as in Hong Kong, where any simple walk to get a coffee takes ages due to human traffic jams. But, Tokyo go go go :)

I can imagine Friday nights there are ridiculously manic! I've actually been to HK briefly and would go back again (but not in June like I did last time, as it was unbearably humid and the air pollution was quite bad too).

I loved the Hong Kong metro system. I found it far better than the Tube - so modern, clean and well-ventilated by comparison. And the HK airport is the nicest I've ever flown into! The view from the Peak was the highlight for me. Next time I'll pay a visit to Lantau Island while I'm there.

I'm itching to explore much of that side of the world TBH. :)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Amsterdam.

Beautiful city, beautiful people, beautiful memories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amsterdam.

Agreed. One of my favourites. So many pretty canals, bridges and houses. And very relaxing in parts. :)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Let us know how it went, if you do go. Rather you than me. NK has appalling political rights and civil liberties.

North Korea.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/north-korea

Compared with. United Kingdom.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/united-kingdom

Why not take a holiday in Saudi Arabia, while you are at it.
    Saudi Arabia.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/saudi-arabia

Or go for gold and try Syria. You know you want to.
    Syria.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/syria

No, I don't fancy Syria. I'd visit Saudi though, but it's not at the top of my list.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite city is Islamabad.

It's like my favourite English cities but on steroids.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheffield
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only been able to Google images of Kyoto so far
    I just looked on YouTube and there seem to be some videos on there which might be worth a try.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Prague is well worth a long weekend. There are lots of cheap flights and hotels and, as long as you avoid the tourist rip-off places around the main square, the bars and restaurants are excellent value too.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love Chicago... My favourite museum in the world is in Chicago. Plus it has the 2 things I look for in a holiday destination, great food and great sport.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with the Kyoto mention here, what a great place, just squeezing the lovely Prague into second place.

Kyoto's lovely, though in the "a bit like Tokyo but less mental" stakes I think Osaka beats it. My favourite Japanese city, and probably favourite city overall (that I've been to, at any rate) is Hiroshima- so much character for a place where none of the buildings are more than 68 years old. And a very friendly vibe; lot of great pubs and bars. Also a fantastic vegetarian Mexican restaurant, though I very much doubt I'd be able to find it again if I were to go back.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who generally dislikes human cities, I managed to find another "city" which appeals to me. It's a real place, in New Mexico, but not constructed by mankind. Don't worry, I haven't started believing in alien visitors. The video explains all...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjlIcutBE6Y
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Wow tough question;

I'll always have a soft spot for Kowloon, I feel in love with this city as soon as I arrived. It's incredibly easy and chap to get around, various means of transport. Places to shop, eat and drink. Shame there's a vast amount of Western places popping i.e. McDonalds on virtually every corner, suppose that's the franchise mentality. I do enjoy walking down the side streets and trying to find something local.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Haven't been to Hong Kong since it reverted to China, but I'm sure it's still a fascinating place. San Francisco is another favourite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lviv, Ukraine, a gem of Eastern Europe, so far largly undiscovered by tourists with no budget airlines yet flying there. As it was never part of the Russian Empire and didn't become part of the USSR until 1939, it doesn't have a post Soviet feel to it, it's architechture is more comperable to Central European cities like Prague and Vienna than Kyiv, though it does unfortunately have lots of Soviet style apartment blocks outside of it's centre
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amsterdam
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hull.
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Mine is San Francisco - so much character, a laid back feel, a zest for life and a confidence in its own identity. Outstanding views all over the city, iconic bridges, buildings and attractions as well as not being a massive urban sprawl.

What is your favourite city?

San Fransico all the way for me, absolutely love it.