Options

Windows 8 on a Mac

RyanC1992RyanC1992 Posts: 651
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm looking to get windows 8.1 for my mac, would this be all I'm needing or is there more to the process?

http://www.littlewoods.com/microsoft-windows-81-full-version/1357887217.prd

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you checked that your mac is compatible with running windows 8.1 via bootcamp?
    not all models support it (some are limited to Windows 7).

if it does support windows 8.1 via bootcamp then yes that is all you need.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested to know why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »

to dual boot obviously.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »

To dual boot so they can play Windows games or use Windows-only software. I have Windows 7 on my Mac for games and because it's useful to have a Windows partition. I also like winding up the Apple fanboys :p For everything else I use OSX :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also like winding up the Apple fanboys :p For everything else I use OSX :D

why would it wind them up, it's a feature of OSX.
    reality check - you're not winding anyone up, you're just in your little deluded bubble - and i'm saying that as a mac user!
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that if your mac doesn't have a superdrive or you don't have an external superdrive you will need to somehow get the windows disk and the bootcamp files onto an external USB

But as far as license goes yes that will be fine although you can pick it up far cheaper from amazon and even cheaper direct from microsoft if you are a student or know anyone that is
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say having used parallels, I'd never go back to the bootcamp way of running windows now from my mac. So much more convenient.

I guess it helps to have plenty of ram but it seems to run windows at native speed. I use it to run the superior windows 7, but I guess it would run windows 8.1 if you really had to.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered running windows 8 on a mac using a virtual PC emulator such as virtualbox. or vmware? Completely avoids dual-boot issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Have you considered running windows 8 on a mac using a virtual PC emulator such as virtualbox. or vmware? Completely avoids dual-boot issues.

either way you still need a properly licensed copy of Windows, so it doesn't matter how it's being booted you still need a valid windows license.
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I have to say having used parallels, I'd never go back to the bootcamp way of running windows now from my mac. So much more convenient..

If the ops reason is to play games then Parallels isnt the best option, bootcamp is.

But as someone else said what are the ops reasons to run Windows 8? if its for games then fair enough but if its for running a specific Windows program then there may be a Mac alternative that coud be used instead, a full retail version of Windows 8 as linked by the op is a big investment.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    either way you still need a properly licensed copy of Windows, so it doesn't matter how it's being booted you still need a valid windows license.

Agreed but you can install Windows for so many days with out a license which is usually enough to test it and your software/hardware works ok. before embarking on a (perhaps) more complicated long term solution.

One downside with virtualboxes is that they can be limited on drivers for more complex hardware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    why would it wind them up, it's a feature of OSX.
    reality check - you're not winding anyone up, you're just in your little deluded bubble - and i'm saying that as a mac user!

It might be but some Apple fanboys are against the idea of running Windows on a Mac for some reason. They call it blasphemous and consider the Windows on Mac crowd traitors to Apple. They're the ones who need a reality check, not me!
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question: Can you now use the same Windows installation for Boot Camp and virtually? I know the licensing of W7 precluded it and the activation screwed up every time you swapped from one to the other. Has W8 relaxed that limitation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it would count as two separate activations so wouldn't be allowed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »

You used to be able to do it though. I think if you have a Windows partition in Boot Camp it was possible to use it in Parallels, but I don't know if it was possible to use it in VMWare Fusion.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Retail licenses can be transferred between machines though, so there's no issue with it requiring reactivation other than the hassle of potentially having to phone Microsoft every time and explain you've made hardware changes and enter the activation ID provided.

I would expect migrating from a boot camp installation (or any other physical installation) to a virtual installation (or vice versa) to always require reactivation due to the hardware changes that Windows would detect. This is how the Windows activation checks work.
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Retail licenses can be transferred between machines though, so there's no issue with it requiring reactivation other than the hassle of potentially having to phone Microsoft every time and explain you've made hardware changes and enter the activation ID provided.

I would expect migrating from a boot camp installation (or any other physical installation) to a virtual installation (or vice versa) to always require reactivation due to the hardware changes that Windows would detect. This is how the Windows activation checks work.

Not really practical if you have to do this multiple times a day though.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Not really practical if you have to do this multiple times a day though.

Indeed not, but if you're using the same configuration in the VM every time then there are ways of backing up and restoring the activation status, which could probably be script implemented if necessary.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-backup-and-restore-windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-activation-status-activate-offline-on-reinstall/

I know Parallels supply a tool for mounting VM hard drives natively in OS X. Not sure about VMWare though.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I have to say having used parallels, I'd never go back to the bootcamp way of running windows now from my mac. So much more convenient.

I guess it helps to have plenty of ram but it seems to run windows at native speed. I use it to run the superior windows 7, but I guess it would run windows 8.1 if you really had to.

Yep, Parallels is the way to go, it's the best of the bunch for a VM and as you remark providing you have a decent amount of RAM to spare Windows flies and it is much more convenient than Bootcamp. I am running 8.1 without any issues whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Yep, Parallels is the way to go, it's the best of the bunch for a VM and as you remark providing you have a decent amount of RAM to spare Windows flies and it is much more convenient than Bootcamp. I am running 8.1 without any issues whatsoever.

Yeah but doesn't it depend on what you use Windows for? I use Windows for gaming so I need to use Bootcamp to get the best performance, but for everyday non-intensive use Parallels is fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My windows partition is also mainly for games so again I use bootcamp rather than parallels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My windows partition is also mainly for games so again I use bootcamp rather than parallels

Gaming is the best use of Windows :D I find Bootcamp is the best option for best performance as the Mac runs Windows like any other PC. Which Windows version do you use on your Mac?