Options

Nigel Farage faces investigation into missing EU expenses up to £60,000

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    whomever came up with this may find it back fires.

there are a few reason why i don't think people care about farage's expenses

1) It's Europe. We assume all MEPs are sucking caviare off a strippers nipple.
    2) to his supporters he's going to save us £bn's a year, £15k a year is neither here nor there.
    3) it reminds us how much we hate politicians and farage currently gets the anti-establishment vote.
    4) given the above it looks mean reporting him. and reflects on his accusers.

Totally agree. Most of Farage's sympathisers will see it as a desperate, last-ditch smear just before the Euro elections.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Why, do people who vote UKIP turn a blind eye to claiming more in expenses than is actually being used for purpose? Are you saying UKIP voters have a low moral compass???

It seems you don't claim expenses as an MEP by submitting an expense form, you are given the money with no strings attached. That is the real issue here and frankly I imagine just about every MEP takes the money regardless, whether a Labour, Tory, UKIP or any other party they belong to. That's why it is called the EU gravy train.

In short piss poor journalism from the Times and the Telegraph who just followed it's lead.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree. Most of Farage's sympathisers will see it as a desperate, last-ditch smear just before the Euro elections.

The backfiring worry is that it might not just be Farage's supporters who take that view.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is visible outside of the paywall, but it's a picture of UKIP's headquarters, the one Farage is claiming to have spent more than £15,000 a year on its upkeep.

From another article elsewhere in the Times...
    A former office manager at the Old Grain Store has now said that the correct figure was closer to £3,000 a year, a claim that Mr Farage disputes and that has now been referred to EU anti-fraud investigators. David Samuel-Camps, 69, who worked as political assistant to Mr Farage between 2002 and 2010, was responsible for keeping the accounts for the Old Grain Store since about 2005.

Mr Samuel-Camps said that electricity, heating, insurance and business rates at the office totalled less than £250 a month. In transparency reports posted on Ukip’s website, Mr Farage claims to have spent almost £1,300 a month solely on these costs, although he said that they covered his home office as well.

There's a lot more detail in that piece. I'm not sure whether the investigation is going ahead but for everyone's sake, (Farage included) it's probably best that it does - and quickly. If the EU ever do such things quickly...
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    It seems you don't claim expenses as an MEP by submitting an expense form, you are given the money with no strings attached. That is the real issue here and frankly I imagine just about every MEP takes the money regardless, whether a Labour, Tory, UKIP or any other party they belong to. That's why it is called the EU gravy train.

In short piss poor journalism from the Times and the Telegraph who just followed it's lead.

Farage can't take the moral high ground if he is willing to accept money in expenses that are not being used for purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Farage can't take the moral high ground if he is willing to accept money in expenses that are not being used for purpose.

I never said he could. I see you make no comment on the real issue I highlighted though, it seems you too are just using it to have a pop at UKIP.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    The backfiring worry is that it might not just be Farage's supporters who take that view.

the timing is suspicious.

it is hard to believe that this has just come to light and been reported with haste.
  • Options
    Forum Member

i think farage might make a case that he will take as much money from the EU and spend it in the UK as he possibly can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the point. and, as we've now seen from the Miller incident, it doesn't matter what the authorities say - the public make their own mind up and are far less forgiving.

However, the elephant in the room on this issue is the fact that Farage has ranted away against the EU for years - often about the incredible cost and waste involved - and it now appears (emphasis: appears) that he was happy to take full advantage of a system he was openly critical about for his own personal ends. As I said in a previous post, the sooner it's sorted out, the better.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the £50 million it costs the UK every single day to be a member of this ludicrous organisation should be of greater concern.

Agreed.

So exactly how did you arrive at the figure of £50 million per day ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the timing is suspicious.

it is hard to believe that this has just come to light and been reported with haste.

They chased George Haider, they tried to shut Geert Wilders up, they're trying to get Marine le Pen into court and now it's Farage's turn. They don't like their toy boat being rocked.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    This is just normal pre-election stuff isn't it? Sling a bit of mud and hope it sticks. All politicians have to take these things on the chin - answer the questions posed and move on. Politics isn't a nice game and if you can't cope then you really shouldn't be in it.

UKIP could have refused to take the allowances of course - but given they have dreadful attendances and voting records I am far more energised that they have taken seats from people who might actually do some work for the UK in Europe (you might want to leave the EU, but while we are still in it, I would expect the MEP to work hard to ensure the UK gets the best deals it can).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think farage might make a case that he will take as much money from the EU and spend it in the UK as he possibly can.

All the more reason to remain for the UK to remain a members of the EU.

This will allow Mr Farage to continue taking money from the EU and spend it in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    That's the point. and, as we've now seen from the Miller incident, it doesn't matter what the authorities say - the public make their own mind up and are far less forgiving.

However, the elephant in the room on this issue is the fact that Farage has ranted away against the EU for years - often about the incredible cost and waste involved - and it now appears (emphasis: appears) that he was happy to take full advantage of a system he was openly critical about for his own personal ends. As I said in a previous post, the sooner it's sorted out, the better.

However, the elephant in the room on this issue is the fact that Farage has ranted away against the EU for years - often about the incredible cost and waste involved - and it now appears (emphasis: appears) that he was happy to take full advantage of a system he was openly critical about for his own political ends. As I said in a previous post, the sooner it's sorted out, the better.

There, I've corrected it for you. Farage has used his own money to donate to his party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nick1966 wrote: »

This will allow Mr Farage to continue taking money from the EU and spend it in the UK.

up to £15k a year is not a significant amount. as you well know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL. The UK is the second largest net contributor to the EU so any money paid to UK MEPs comes from the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    UKIP ... have dreadful attendances and voting records

Yes, the Daily Express has been reporting this about UKIP. The laziest political party in Europe.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/405805/Nigel-Farage-defends-lunchtime-pint-as-UKIP-tops-LAZIEST-political-parties-in-Europe
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this is visible outside of the paywall, but it's a picture of UKIP's headquarters, the one Farage is claiming to have spent more than £15,000 a year on its upkeep.

From another article elsewhere in the Times...

There's a lot more detail in that piece. I'm not sure whether the investigation is going ahead but for everyone's sake, (Farage included) it's probably best that it does - and quickly. If the EU ever do such things quickly...
    Wouldn't the UKIP party office be separate from the MEP offices? He has 6 UK based staff, would they fit in there?
    One Labour MEP is claiming nearly £1,500/month for offices shared with a Labour MP who is claiming £2,000/month for the same premises. What valid purpose is there for "employing" a LGBT Officer on MEP expenses?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    The UK is the second largest net contributor to the EU so any money paid to UK MEPs comes from the UK.

Even better. Mr Farage is helping himself to UK taxpayers money to pay his salary and expenses. Seems reasonable. At least he's not using foreign money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the Daily Express has been reporting this about UKIP. The laziest political party in Europe.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/405805/Nigel-Farage-defends-lunchtime-pint-as-UKIP-tops-LAZIEST-political-parties-in-Europe

I'd watch the live Parliament programmes if I were you....a salutory lesson in how not to attend debates.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    They chased George Haider, they tried to shut Geert Wilders up, they're trying to get Marine le Pen into court and now it's Farage's turn. They don't like their toy boat being rocked.

Let alone the corporate interests, banks and property developers who rely on a Tory government to give them tens if not hundreds of billions in handouts, bailouts and state subsidies via schemes like QE, funding for lending and help to buy. A lot of important people have a lot to lose if the Tories don't win next year. UKIP is a huge threat to them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There, I've corrected it for you. Farage has used his own money to donate to his party.

His party. And that's not in any way personal? :D

However, he's also used a proportion of the GEA to pay more than £1,000 a month towards a controversial second EU pension scheme. Personal enough for you?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Wouldn't the UKIP party office be separate from the MEP offices? He has 6 UK based staff, would they fit in there?
    One Labour MEP is claiming nearly £1,500/month for offices shared with a Labour MP who is claiming £2,000/month for the same premises. What valid purpose is there for "employing" a LGBT Officer on MEP expenses?

Yes several of these Labour MEPs are claiming more in office expenses than Farage despite the fact their offices are in Wales, the north and north west where rents are a lot lower than the south east which he represents.

As for the Tory MEPs expenses well some seem to operate out of up to four different offices,

So the Times let's have a full analysis of all MEP expenses and also how the rules work. Cos office expenses are paid on a flat rate and no proof of spend is required. So no rules can be broken as there are none!

All rather trivial compared to the EUs wasteful spending and it's inability to get its accounts sighed off for over a decade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd watch the live Parliament programmes if I were you....a salutory lesson in how not to attend debates.

I know what you mean. These parliamentary programes can be tedious to watch can't they ? Mind you, any legislative process can be technical and procedural, whether it's a town council meeting, the EU's Council of Minister or the House of Lords.

Guess that's why we pay politicians to attend these meetings where they can debate, scrutinise and legislate.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allegedly, ah yes that great cop out.

If they had confidence in their "investigation" they would state it as fact - after all they would have evidence would they not ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27030660
    The Times said a former party official had filed a complaint to the EU's anti-fraud body over his use of the "general expenditure allowance".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10766558/Farage-could-face-investigation-into-EU-expenses.html
    A former senior Ukip official has filed a formal complaint about Mr Farage to the EU anti-fraud office OLAF

The Ukip leader has received £15,500 a year from the EU since at least 2009 to pay for the upkeep of his constituency office, a small converted grain store near Bognor Regis, West Sussex, according to transparency reports filed on the party’s website.

However, the building was given rent-free to Mr Farage by Ukip supporters 15 years ago, The Times reported.

Utilities and other non-rental costs amount to no more than £3,000 a year, according to the former office manager, leaving about £12,000 a year unexplained.