The new Daybreak with Aled and Lorraine - 3rd Sept

southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The new Daybreak starts on 3rd September with Aled Jones and Lorraine Kelly hosting 7am-8:30am. Lorraine will continue to host her usual show 8:30am-9:25am.

The show will start with Daybreak: News Hour from 6am-7am hosted by Matt Barbet and Ranvir Singh.

The show will have a new studio and new graphics/sound.

Any predictions on how the show will do in the ratings?

Comments

• DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after initial inquisitiveness, ratings will tail off to below what they are now, another knee jerk reaction by ITV will see kate garroway spending more time on the sofa. Its cyclic, irritating, but cyclic.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    southlad wrote: »
    The new Daybreak starts on 3rd September with Aled Jones and Lorraine Kelly hosting 7am-8:30am. Lorraine will continue to host her usual show 8:30am-9:25am.

The show will start with Daybreak: News Hour from 6am-7am hosted by Matt Barbet and Ranvir Singh.

The show will have a new studio and new graphics/sound.

Any predictions on how the show will do in the ratings?

I'd never heard of either of them, but it's suprising what a quich image search on Google will bring up http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Ranvir_Singh.jpg:o:D
    Let's just hope Ranvir invests in a new wardrobe before her big debut:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    after initial inquisitiveness, ratings will tail off to below what they are now, another knee jerk reaction by ITV will see kate garroway spending more time on the sofa. Its cyclic, irritating, but cyclic.

You can hardly call it a knee jerk reaction. Axing GMTV and replacing it with Daybreak you could definitely describe as knee jerk, they got carried away with the whole Adrian & Christine thing. But they got it terribly wrong and they've been slowly undoing it since because Daybreak has been one big mess from start to finish and has terrible viewing figures. The impending revamp even sees the return of the GMTV sun logo. This time around it feels much more carefully planned out, and Lorraine is a safe pair of hands to put the show in. Its not as though the figures have been down for a couple of weeks so they've gone for a full scale relaunch. This has been inevitable for the past 2 years.
  • Mumsy24Mumsy24 Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I like Aled Jones but can't stand Lorraine "Super,Great" Kelly so I won't be watching.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are viewing figures still declining, or are they low but stable? If it's the latter, I wish they'd just accept that is the number of people this type of breakfast show appeals to and leave it as it is. I don't mean "this type of breakfast show" in a derogatory way. I prefer Daybreak to Breakfast and I like the current line-up of Dan Lobb and Kate Garraway. They're hardly megastars and neither are Aled Jones and Lorraine Kelly, so I don't see why they think the new line-up will do any better for them.

The same goes for the format of the show. The new "News Hour" still only makes up less than half of the entire show (not including Lorraine which follows directly afterwards). A real change would be putting Matt Barbet and Ranvir Singh on for the whole 2 and half hours and discussing House of Lords reform and other such items all the way until 8:30.

It just seems like a fresh lick of paint, rather than any real change. Speaking of decoration, I like the current studio. It looks modern enough and they shouldn't change it.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I've always liked the current set. Shame if they lost the view too. Hadn't noticed the similarities between the new logo and GMTV's. Still the current yellowy one is hideous - I liked the purple.
  • SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Brand New Daybreak logo has been revealed

http://up.metropol247.co.uk/bligh001g/DAYBREAK_LOGO_A.jpg

Very Nice and a huge nod to the GMTV era.

I hope the music stays - even if its revamped.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be good as it will bridge Daybreak and Lorraine together instead of having them seperate with the same guests
  • aiseyaisey Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Honestly, what they are expecting? A million more viewers? Because of a new logo and a few licks of paint. Why they bother is beyond me.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember a few months after launch, ratings started to steadily increase with Adrian and Christine, then they changed the format, then went back down again, then they panicked again by bringing in a red sofa and over colour the studio and change format again, then ratings went down to what they are now.

If I am right, ratings started to pick up around late October/ November 2010. Then the format changed, and they went down. I reckon, if they left the programme at this stage, it may have been a lot different now. it was fresh and modern then, then it turned into a stuffy same oldy GMTV show.

I have a feeling though that it will do better this time round though, but everything is not my style this time! It's for hassled mums only!
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    Remember a few months after launch, ratings started to steadily increase with Adrian and Christine, then they changed the format, then went back down again, then they panicked again by bringing in a red sofa and over colour the studio and change format again, then ratings went down to what they are now.

If I am right, ratings started to pick up around late October/ November 2010. Then the format changed, and they went down. I reckon, if they left the programme at this stage, it may have been a lot different now.!

:DEr no they didn't they actually hit new lows in OCT/NOV 2010 The whole period was down over 20% from GMTV
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    :DEr no they didn't they actually hit new lows in OCT/NOV 2010 The whole period was down over 20% from GMTV

Well there was a period after launch, where they did rise. I'm not speaking about GMTV's ratings, I'm talking about Daybreaks.:cool:
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Well there was a period after launch, where they did rise. I'm not speaking about GMTV's ratings, I'm talking about Daybreaks.:cool:

Yes,it was in December when the uk had all the snow and it averaging 0.9/1 million. When the show returned in Jan 2011 the ratings settled at about 0.8 million.

I agree that they should have left the show to settle in and left it alone. Who knows, if they had Adrian and Christine may have still been presenting it now. I personally think the shows problems were all down to the messing with the format and not to do with the presenters. Of course, the newspapers didnt help.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    southlad wrote: »
    Yes,it was in December when the uk had all the snow and it averaging 0.9/1 million. When the show returned in Jan 2011 the ratings settled at about 0.8 million.

I agree that they should have left the show to settle in and left it alone. Who knows, if they had Adrian and Christine may have still been presenting it now. I personally think the shows problems were all down to the messing with the format and not to do with the presenters. Of course, the newspapers didnt help.

I think the main problem was that everything was wrong! Adrian just isn't right on an early morning show on ITV. Channel 4 - possibly, but still doubtful and by the time they went on air Christine had so much negativity surrounding her that it was never going to work. One of those situations that just escalates and which, once again, the infamous Jay Hunt was responsible for. She decides that Chris Evans has to do Friday nights, predictably Adrian goes into a strop. She won't back down, he flexes his muscles and moves and then in a demonstration of power persuades Christine to jump ship with him. She then becomes a WAG earning an obscene amount of money for not very much and the whole thing is riding for a fall. Sort of Arlene Phillips/Alesha Dixon all over again, meets Miriam O'Reilly. Beats me why Jay Hunt still gets top jobs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I still want to know what the rest of the presenter line up will be, eg who will present on Fridays if Lorraine doesn't, will it be Kate permanently or will Helen still have a role? And who will the newsreader be? Will they have one? So many questions!
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Jamesp312 wrote: »
    I still want to know what the rest of the presenter line up will be, eg who will present on Fridays if Lorraine doesn't, will it be Kate permanently or will Helen still have a role? And who will the newsreader be? Will they have one? So many questions!

Kate Garraway is the Friday presenter of both shows, in place of Lorraine Kelly.

Ranvir Singh is the newsreader from 7-925am.

Laura Tobin is the weather presenter.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Garraway is the Friday presenter of both shows, in place of Lorraine Kelly.

Ranvir Singh is the newsreader from 7-925am.

Laura Tobin is the weather presenter.

There must be a limite to the amount of times they can recycle Kate Garraway. Do you think that every night before she goes to bed she looks at a dart board picture of Lorraine and asks 'Mirror, mirror, one the wall, Why does the Scottish one always get it all?'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To answer the O P's original question. After an inital jump in he ratings as viewers want to see what has changed, it will iflounder as well. L K will not save tis programme. Appart from the fact that she will not work during school holidays (I dont see why as far as I know she has no young chi;ldren) and only works 4 days a week anyway.I cant understan a word she says!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp312 wrote: »

I have not seen anything to say Helen will be in the programme. We will have to wait and see.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when scotland goes independent won't It be great having a presenter from.a different country outside the uk. Now that could get interesting. Personally I don't like either of them so for me its getting worse and Kate garro I hate her too. But with the current presenters I have been enjoying it shame its going to get worse.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PLEASE do not still call the show Lorraine on Fridays, call it Garraway or something just not Lorraine as she will NEVER present it.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that Garraway woman have so many lives in television? Awful on GMTV with her condescending Labour brown nosing, smug on Daybreak and now back for v2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be awful. They should have worked around Helen, Dan, Nadia, Kate Thornton and another male. Garroway and Kelly are far to full of themselves to be professional anymore. Full of stupid giggles and shouting.:mad:
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the new Daybreak logo very similar to the old gmtv logo, I wonder how similar the set will be?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to Christine Bleakley ? She doesn't seem to do anything on ITV now. Last I read she was moving to LA with Frank Lampard but they were ''too busy'' to get married:eek: