The cupboard under the stairs

124»

Comments

• Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I don't have one but when I lived at home we had one. It houses coats and scarves, a big trunk of old books, a bag of wrapping paper to be recycled at Christmas and birthdays and some of my mother's old sewing stuff. It's just called 'under the stairs'. When we were kids we also threw our schoolbags in there when we got in from school and I stil sometimes throw my handbag in there when I call over.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that this thread is still going.

I love the "coal hole", it's what my husband called the place where the coal man tipped the coal, in his house it actually was.

The "cubby hole" is what my daughter was trying to say when she was a toddler, it came out as "buggy hole" and that's what it has remained even though it's a utility room.

From what I can gander, the majority of people call it the "cupboard under the stairs", because that's exactly what it is, a cupboard under the stairs.

My MIL called it "The Lobby", I was hoping to hear someone else who called it that but, thankfully, our members aren't quite as daft. :D
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my mums house the cupboard houses a washing machine. The door was only a mm or 2 wider than the washing machine though, always made it great fun when we had to take the washing machine out for whatever reason.

It also is where the electricity meter is kept.
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msmasood wrote: »
    Ours is odd. It runs a long side the stairs and then round at the back to go under the stairs, at the front adults can easily stand upright in it. Ours was used as a play room when we were kids, now it's my dads tool/hoover/ ironing board cupboard. Some ex neighbours did actually use there's as a bedroom for their youngest son!!

Wow we have one identical to yours :D

Ours has two working freezers, at the far end. Then in the cramped bit we have boxes full of old photo albums, teddy bears from my childhood plus a few other odds and ends. As you go in the cupboard, alongside the wall that is the garage wall, there are coathooks where we have our coats that aren't in use i.e. seasonal :D I also keep the ironing basket, my coat hangers, and stuff that I don't really know what to do with. Oh we also keep the air con unit in there too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have one called the cubby hole (no idea why) and it's full (literally) of all the stuff that refuses to be crammed anywhere else and then the tumble dryer is shoved in front of that lot to keep it in.

Could well be a few well-protected arachnids in there as well :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we call ours the scary cupboard but thats because its so full of stuff its a dangerous place to even consider going unless you have full potholing equipment on and a couple of days rations!

we have in there,an old fire surround,my nan and grandads entire huge photograph collection (recent addition due to them having to move house),slow cooker,bread maker,wool for my crochet blanket,cross stitch frame,camping kettle,sandwich toaster,folding chairs,popcorn maker,juicer,years of old household bills/paper work that im not sure if i should actually keep or not,many things i have taken out of the reach of children for safetys sake,and many many other things that i cant remember, all fitted in tetris style :)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve only lived in one house with one and it was the pantry.
  • Mer~maidMer~maid Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Ours is a makeshift linen cupboard, and also holds the Dyson, ironing board, toilet rolls, clothes horse, baking tins, bottled water, and a whole heap of everyday items 'just in case' like wrapping paper, spare birthday cards, glue, scissors, carrier bags. Every so often I gave a clear our and wonder why on earth I kept hold of.. last years calendar? For example. I also call it the cubby hole.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coat cupboard and shoe cupboard

in our old house, it was in the front room, so we took the door off, popped a shelf in and there you go! mini office!
  • Dolly_DimpleDolly_Dimple Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine has god knows what in it.
    Hoover, clothes airer, 2 large bags of Lego bricks, mop and bucket, candles, sleeping bags, toiletries, loo roll, some panes of glass, Mr Dimples hair clippers, voile curtains, shoe cleaning stuff, half of a wooden curtain pole, an old duvet cover, an electric footpump, a football, bike pumps.
    That's just what i can recall off the top of my head!
    I'm sure if i really looked i would find a small stray child or something.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I don't have a cupboard under the stairs but I have a cupboard above the stairs which is a big walk in wardrobe. We also have a linen cupboard over the stairs. Under the stairs is the downstairs neighbours bathroom cupboard.
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandparents had an "understairs" cupboard in their bungalow... :D
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cupboard under the stairs is in the kitchen and used as the pantry. So that's what we call it.

My parents have a cupboard under the stairs, but I'm not sure it's ever been given a name. They use it for storing coats, scarves etc. And there's a smaller cupboard above it, which always has the Christmas decorations stored in there.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ours is known as the "Cupboard of Doom".

It's where we very neatly place items such as powertools, beach inflatables, sun shades, storage boxes, kids toys, leftover paint, fireguard in the summer, some coats that don't fit in the coat cupboard, and so on. It also holds the switch board.

Then upon closing the door all these items become muddled and moved around so that when you next look in there for something it's a huge untidy pile of junk. Also as soon as switch trips it magically creates a solid wall of tat between the door and the fuse board.

Eventually you have to sort through by dragging everything out until the hall is filled with more stuff than could ever have come out of the empty space before you.

Then we put it back inside very neatly...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Under the stairs " and it's stuffed full of junk ! Good only knows what ,every so often someone will have a paddy and insist it all gets dragged out . Everything gets brought in the lounge "aww look these baby photos " etc etc ,on the pretence of throwing stuff out ! in reality everything just gets put back in slightly tidier and the pattern repeats itself ...
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it not a place where children hide ?

mine smells of old shoes and feet .....