Daybreak are disgusting

Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Much like when GMTV ignored the UK flooding some years ago to talk about Paris Hilton in jail instead, they are now treating hurricane Sandy as a fluff piece - when they aren't outright ignoring it - even though people have died and New York is in a state of emergency.

They really turn my stomach, and I'm going to have to turn it off before I see any pimping of their latest competition or I'll likely throw something at my TV.

How do ITV get away with their behaviour? They are vile.

Comments

• Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did you expect, cutting edge journalism ?

It a frilly TV Show for the frilly minded and bases it`s whole existence on triviality. It will be like that ad infinitum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not watch BBC Breakfast or Sky News?
  • George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    More to the point, why is New York deemed more news worthy than the Carribean? where Hurricane Sandy was much stronger and killed more people.

Also all this "worst natural disaster in America ever" is a bit ott and crass. Have they suddenly forgotten about Hurricane Katrina.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the start at 6 and the main news item was Sandy, plus their New York correspondent and camera crew were taking considerable risks being out on the street. The whole 2 and a half hours of the programme don't need to be about a hurricane three thousand miles away though ffs! If there was a hurricane in the UK I doubt US news would even mention it.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat Buddha wrote: »
    What did you expect, cutting edge journalism ?

Obviously not but their almost total lack of coverage and then treating it as a laugh when they do mention it is awful.

While I don't think wall-to-wall coverage is the way to go and appreciate that people would want a rest from that and a bit of normalcy, Daybreak's way of treating the most serious of happenings as if they either don't exist or are as fluffy as the usual crap they cover beggars belief!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Why not watch BBC Breakfast or Sky News?

I've just turned it off.

Not surprised to see people defending it though. People on here defend anything no matter how crazy.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also all this "worst natural disaster in America ever" is a bit ott and crass. Have they suddenly forgotten about Hurricane Katrina.

Galviston 1900 was much worse than Katrina
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the start at 6 and the main news item was Sandy, plus their New York correspondent and camera crew were taking considerable risks being out on the street. The whole 2 and a half hours of the programme don't need to be about a hurricane three thousand miles away though ffs! If there was a hurricane in the UK I doubt US news would even mention it.

I believe 6-7 is their 'harder news' section and from 7 it becomes more celebrity driven.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know who ''Lucy'' is reporting from NYC but she's terrible. I quickly switched to the BBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just turned it off.

Not surprised to see people defending it though. People on here defend anything no matter how crazy.

Then complain to the programme's production staff for the misjudgment in tone.http://www.itv.com/contactus

In the meantime, DS, like the BBC POV Message Boards is place where different points of view are held and FMs are not alll going to agree on every point in an oipening post or the dicussion that follows it, as you can plainly see from most threads on this or any forum serving the UK population.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The different points of view aren't the problem, Sue - it's people acting like I'm weird for being annoyed about it? Which is just strange...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The different points of view aren't the problem, Sue - it's people acting like I'm weird for being annoyed about it? Which is just strange...

Yes it is strange that you are annoyed about it, like others have said all you had to do was switch over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Write /phone-in the compliant, Starry, and let us know how you get on.

in the meantime choose the Radio =- Nws or other - or another TV Channel instead of Daybreak for a while between 9 and 9.25 : you have plenty of choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is strange that you are annoyed about it, like others have said all you had to do was switch over.

Why is it strange? I don't understand. People vent their frustrations about their issues with broadcasting choices on DS all the time but don't seem to get the hard time that people are giving me in this thread?

Not that I'm particularly upset, just baffled by attempt at being silenced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's hostility FMs are intending towards you, per se, but Daybreak does what it says on the tin (6-7 is the real Newshour part): it's not an ITN programme, whereas Breakfast is a BBC News programme.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it strange? I don't understand. People vent their frustrations about their issues with broadcasting choices on DS all the time but don't seem to get the hard time that people are giving me in this thread?

To be fair, the "why don't you switch over?" post appears in a lot of threads. I wouldn't let it get to you
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to the point, why is New York deemed more news worthy than the Carribean? where Hurricane Sandy was much stronger and killed more people.

My thoughts exactly. It's as if the Caribbean and certain parts of America aren't somehow as important.

To be fair, ITV are not the only ones with this attitude. I had BBC Breakfast on and Bill Turnbull said something about it being the worst natural disaster Americans had seen. Short memories. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not that I'm particularly upset, just baffled by attempt at being silenced.

:confused: How is someone disagreeing with you attempting to silence you? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    To be fair, the "why don't you switch over?" post appears in a lot of threads. I wouldn't let it get to you

But it is particularly apt in this instance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: How is someone disagreeing with you attempting to silence you? :rolleyes:

See post number 20 - you in particular to be taking a real issue with me daring to express a dislike of something.

The "if you don't like it, switch off" argument might work at times but when someone simply wants to voice annoyance - like a lot of people do on here - it's used purely to try and shut the poster down.

I'm not sure why you are taking such issue with me. Like another poster said, we all have differing opinions but you are actively trying to put someone off voicing theirs in the first place. Bizarre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See post number 20 - you in particular to be taking a real issue with me daring to express a dislike of something.

The "if you don't like it, switch off" argument might work at times but when someone simply wants to voice annoyance - like a lot of people do on here - it's used purely to try and shut the poster down.

I'm not sure why you are taking such issue with me. Like another poster said, we all have differing opinions but you are actively trying to put someone off voicing theirs in the first place. Bizarre.

Sorry, but you seem rather paranoid to me. If you can't accept people having different opinions to you why post in the first place? It was you that started this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but you seem rather paranoid to me. If you can't accept people having different opinions to you why post in the first place? It was you that started this thread.

I can accept different opinions just fine. :)

But that's not what you've been about in this thread...
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can accept different opinions just fine. :)

But that's not what you've been about in this thread...

I think most people feel that the Daybreak coverage was done before 7 when it was a news based programme and the magazine aspect took over after 7. Since this is just a fluffy time on daybreak there was no reason for them to cover the hurricane in any great depth .BBC do hard news at that time and some people like an alternative to grinding misery with their cornflakes .
    Because people know that daybreak after 7 is fluffy they see no reason to get up in arms about the lack of hurricane coverage as they know there is an alternative harder news channel available for those who want it .hence the switch over comments .I dont think anyone was having a go at you and maybe you are being a little oversensitive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think anyone was having a go at you and maybe you are being a little oversensitive

I kind of agree and disagree. I think The Gatherer certainly has a problem with me...
  • flounder78flounder78 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    This is not just aimed at Daybreak but why is it that we cover news in the states as if it were happening in the UK. The election coverage has been on every day - why do we care so much about it to have it as top news. sandy is terrible but again it has already had a much bigger impact in the Caribbean, but we start covering it when it hits New York!

I can bet you bet your bottom dollar that when we had a hung parliament and the floods that it was not even sniffed at I the states!