[COMPLAINT]complaint about misleading DS news story

Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,159
Forum Member
Not sure where to place this...

On the front page of digital spy (31st October) there is a link to an story in the Odd section
"Police officer Tasers boy for refusing to wash car"

the story is about a 10 year old boy who was alegedly tasered by the police after refusing to wash a car at Tularosa New Mexico Intermediate School's career day.

The article features a prominent picture of a Brittish police helmet, and as such it appears that the incident happened in the UK, involving UK Police officers.

However the incident occured at Tularosa New Mexico Intermediate School, which when i checked previously is not in the UK school website:
http://www.tularosa.k12.nm.us/default.aspx?pg=4078748f-7f4d-41ab-b209-6e3482cf7fef

DS article

picture of UK police helmet
A police officer has been accused of using his Taser on a boy after the 10-year-old was reluctant to wash the cop's patrol car.

As a result, the victim - only identified as 'RD' - is pursuing legal action.

The incident happened during the Tularosa New Mexico Intermediate School's career day, when Chris Webb asked the group of boys he was speaking to who would like to clean his vehicle.

RD said that he wouldn't, according to a complaint filed on his behalf.

Webb was reported to have responded before stunning the boy with the Taser: "Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police."

RD's legal representative Rachel Higgins stated that he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder afterwards.

She added: "No reasonable officer confronting a situation where the need for force is at its lowest - on a playground with elementary-age children - would have deployed the Taser in so reckless a manner as to cause physical and psychological injury."

Comments

• George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    To be fair, most headlines on DS these days have little or nothing to do with content in the actual story. Its lazy tabloid style writing designed to get you to click on articles.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit sloppy, but the content of the story makes it pretty clear that it took place in New Mexico (and it's in a section largely filled with US-based "wacky" stories) so I'm not sure who it would mislead.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    However the incident occured at Tularosa New Mexico Intermediate School, which when i checked previously is not in the UK school website

No flies on you Richard. Well done. DS should explain immediately this flagrant abuse of a bobby's helmet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The incident happened during the Tularosa New Mexico Intermediate School's career day

wonder how many kids thought - how awesome was that! when i grow up, i want to be a cop too.