The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Even when the civilian series had collapsed on 4, it was still regularly featured on the front page of The Daily Star.

I'm no great fan of Desmond's other business ventures but I don't think The Daily Star has been anything other than consistent all the way along when it comes to BB. To be honest I think if anything they've covered the civilian version slightly less since it's moved to C5.

I can't really remember the collapse on Channel 4 in terms of press attention. I do know The Daily Star has been very reality lead for a while now; so in the great scheme of things I think it would have followed BB wherever it went. :o
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,474
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Doubtless there are many other factors at play each year, though: this time, Doctor Who's filming and post-production schedule, and the Voice coaches' other commitments at the time of the live shows, to name but two.

Of course, but the general timing has been rather consistent over the years, which does make it look like a choice to me.

Even when Doctor Who has taken gap years and fiddled with episode numbers and timings - it always returns around the same time. Similarly, a March-June talent contest has been a constant for the last five years now: The Voice, So You Think You Can Dance, and the ALW musical shows. Those are scheduling choices - and ones I don't think make too much sense.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 Overnights
    14:30 See Spot Run: 784k (5.9%)
    16:25 The Princess Bride: 1.19m (6.2%)
    18:20 Spider-Man 3: 1.81m (6.9%)
    21:00 Series Return: Person of Interest: 1.26m (5.0%)
    22:00 My Best Friend's Girl: 635k (5.0%)
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC1
    Blandings - 3.71m (15.7%)
    Countryfile - 6.24m (24.5%)
    Call The Midwife - 8.69m (29.6%)
    Ripper Street - 5.22m (20.7%)

ITV Total
    Dancing on Ice - 7.09m (29.0%)
    All Star Family Fortunes - 5.17m (18.2%)
    Dancing on Ice - 5.46m (18.2%)
    Mr Selfridge - 5.95m (23.6%)

Top Gear (inc HD) - 5.29m (18.1%)
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selfridge falls again to 5.43m

TG dents CTM but still top rated of day at 8.69m

Murray peaked at 5.32m!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 Overnights
    14:30 See Spot Run: 784k (5.9%)
    16:25 The Princess Bride: 1.19m (6.2%)
    18:20 Spider-Man 3: 1.81m (6.9%)
    21:00 Series Return: Person of Interest: 1.26m (5.0%)
    22:00 My Best Friend's Girl: 635k (5.0%)

A great set of shares here!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selfridge is certainly underperforming expectations, at least on overnights. It's no Downton!

It's just ITV's version of The Paradise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selfridge is certainly underperforming expectations, at least on overnights. It's no Downton!

It's a good 1-1.5m ahead of The Paradise despite much tougher competition. I don't think anyone realistically expected another Downton.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Very bad rating for blandings.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

Bad ratings for a bad show.
    Forum Member
    danisfunny wrote: »
    A great set of shares here!!
    Yeah! That's a long stretch at or above 5%,

Person of Interest deserved more though. But it did hold its own opposite two dramas with 11m between them and a big film premiere on C4.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a reason Blandings has rated badly.
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Bad ratings for a bad show.
    And that's the reason. Had it not been for the snow boost last week I swear Blandings would have fallen to that rating with episode 2. It's rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah! That's a long stretch at or above 5%,

Person of Interest deserved more though. But it did hold its own opposite two dramas with 11m between them and a big film premiere on C4.

I did mean in terms of what 5 can normally get.. Im sure POI will grow, I forgot it was on yesterday and may have also had to compete against those watching TG recorded after CTM, as I did.

When Once Upon a Time comes back, Im sure the night will be stronger overall...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Score wrote: »
    It's a good 1-1.5m ahead of The Paradise despite much tougher competition. I don't think anyone realistically expected another Downton.

Less viewers around on a Tuesday for The Paradise. It would have done better on a Sunday. Mr Selfridge is doing well enough and some at ITV were and are still hoping that it'll be Downtonesque with its ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Less viewers around on a Tuesday for The Paradise. It would have done better on a Sunday. Mr Selfridge is doing well enough and some at ITV were and are still hoping that it'll be Downtonesque with its ratings.

Perhaps but the fewer viewers around argument probably doesn't make up for the sheer difference in competition the two shows faced/are facing.

A few at ITV might have hoped but it was never that realistic. They should be pleased to have found a hit new drama, particularly against drama competition.
    Forum Member
    Great night for 5USA as well, particularly after 10pm with some impressive shares recorded:

16:00 NCIS: 206k (1.2%)
    17:00 NCIS: 315k (1.6%)
    18:00 CSI: Miami: 179k (0.8%)
    19:00 CSI: Miami: 221k (0.9%)
    20:00 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: 309k (1.1%)
    21:00 CSI: New York: 337k (1.3%)
    22:00 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: 439k (2.6%)
    22:55 CSI: Miami: 431k (4.6%)
    23:55 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: 265k (5.8%)
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I was worried that Person of interest would struggle in a competitive timeslot so am glad it got 1.3million. I wonder if it managed to beat Channel4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TG dents CTM but still top rated of day at 8.69m

Murray peaked at 5.32m!

Last year Call The Midwife still managed 5m against Top Gear, not this time. Midwife still leads on Sunday but I'm not sure it'll beat its highest rating of last year which was 11.41m. It did that with an overnight of 9.24m. Last week it had it's highest overnight ever of 9.3m but it's not looking likely that episode will have a 2m+ timeshift.

A few weeks to go yet of course so let's see what happens.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    What a performer top gear is ahead of ripper street. The blandlings is well cast but just sheer nonsense that reminds me of the also unfunny 'you rang m'lord' on sundays in the nineties. Call the midwife continues its magnet pull of the nations oaps to the warmth of 1950's london, cant quite get what draws millions to this but bbc must be happy with nearly nine million.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top Gear stormed back!

Beat ITV in the 8pm hour too, and almost beat both flagship dramas

The officials will probably have CTM at 10-11m and TG at 7m - and both soundly beating ITV to boot!
    Forum Member
    I was worried that Person of interest would struggle in a competitive timeslot so am glad it got 1.3million. I wonder if it managed to beat Channel4.
    It was very tight between the two but The Fighter on C4 just about edged it with 1.33m (5.3%) across the 9pm hour.

Great film but I'd already seen it. I imagine it may have taken viewers away from PoI though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of officials, I don't think we had any update during the week on CTM's consolidation progress, or did I miss it?

Could be a big eek later...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    What a performer top gear is ahead of ripper street. The blandlings is well cast but just sheer nonsense that reminds me of the also unfunny 'you rang m'lord' on sundays in the nineties. Call the midwife continues its magnet pull of the nations oaps to the warmth of 1950's london, cant quite get what draws millions to this but bbc must be happy with nearly nine million.

You Rang M'Lord was funny, actually. Just not as good, or a cherished, as Hi Di Hi.

Blandings is just crap. Had it not been so over hammed by such accomplished comic performers, it would at least have been watchable....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Perhaps but the fewer viewers around argument probably doesn't make up for the sheer difference in competition the two shows faced/are facing.

A few at ITV might have hoped but it was never that realistic. They should be pleased to have found a hit new drama, particularly against drama competition.

Ripper Street and Mr Selfridge are doing well. I thought the first episode of Ripper Street would have scared off viewers so I'm glad some have stayed. Mr Selfridge is fun, maybe not as big as ITV hoped, but it's doing well enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mr Selfridge went from 5.45m to 5.43m.
    Ripper Street went from 5.64m to 5.22m

Just for some clarity Robbie! :D
This discussion has been closed.