The professional juries not THAT impressive

Given the names quoted for juries over the past few years, most seem totally out of touch with modern music

UK 2013 Tony Hatch (Crossroads theme/Neighbours theme)

UK2012 Lyndsey De Paul (hits in 70s)

this years French juries seemed a bunch of nobodies too.

When you see gymnastics and ice skating the professional juries know their stuff technically...to me the so called professional juries are just a step up from the old juries populated pre 2000.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    EUROBOY65 wrote: »
    Given the names quoted for juries over the past few years, most seem totally out of touch with modern music

UK 2013 Tony Hatch (Crossroads theme/Neighbours theme)

UK2012 Lyndsey De Paul (hits in 70s)

this years French juries seemed a bunch of nobodies too.

When you see gymnastics and ice skating the professional juries know their stuff technically...to me the so called professional juries are just a step up from the old juries populated pre 2000.

I'd rather have a jury of amateur (but talented and knowledgeable) musicians rather than music industry scrooges what u describe is better than music industry folks who think they are hip and look for the same all the time. After all what does a producer who cant play an instrument really know about good music. Music that sells is often not the same thing when u have 2 rely on 12 year old girls.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the BBC jury is llike an old people's twilight home for the tired and bewildered...recent members:
    Mike Batt 64
    Lyndsey de Paul 62
    Tony Hatch 73
    Tony Blackburn 70
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    the BBC jury is llike an old people's twilight home for the tired and bewildered...recent members:
    Mike Batt 64
    Lyndsey de Paul 62
    Tony Hatch 73
    Tony Blackburn 70

The UK actually gave 12 points to the winner - so they cant have been that out of touch.

Perhaps Lyndsey should represent us next year (maybe she is too young though?) - a reprise of Rock bottom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJYuudBRs7U
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The UK actually gave 12 points to the winner - so they cant have been that out of touch.

Perhaps Lyndsey should represent us next year (maybe she is too young though?) - a reprise of Rock bottom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJYuudBRs7U

where can we see the results of the jury alone ?
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many people here think a jury is somehow a much better judge of music than themselves?
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »

Ours don't know. The split between televote and juries probably in July
  • citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I guarantee that the UK juries screwed over the UK televote for Norway. There are so many people on various forums raving about Norway. Everyone I know in the UK was voting like crazy for Norway. It does seem strange that she got absolutely nothing from the UK. I have a feeling that the jury placed it so low that they wiped out a Top 5 from the UK televoters. It really is time to rethink the age range of our jury.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,171
    Forum Member
    citius wrote: »
    I guarantee that the UK juries screwed over the UK televote for Norway. There are so many people on various forums raving about Norway. Everyone I know in the UK was voting like crazy for Norway. It does seem strange that she got absolutely nothing from the UK. I have a feeling that the jury placed it so low that they wiped out a Top 5 from the UK televoters. It really is time to rethink the age range of our jury.

Something really is a miss here? It just doesn't add up. On iTunes today Denmark is number 16, then Norway at 22. Yet we gave them no points?
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something really is a miss here? It just doesn't add up. On iTunes today Denmark is number 16, then Norway at 22. Yet we gave them no points?

With the new system you can top the televote and still get no points if the jury rates the song really low.

Lithuania may well have been first or second on our televote last night and they got nothing overall, they only got one point from Ireland as well and they regularly top their televote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll keep saying it but juries really don't help anything. People have been hoodwinked.

The only people consistently benefitting from all the changes in recent years appear to be some Scandinavian countries, no surpise that they are the ones in charge of Eurovision as well lol.
  • pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    citius wrote: »

Totally agree here. I voted for the first time in my life last night and voted 10 times for Norway .:cry:
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    With the new system you can top the televote and still get no points if the jury rates the song really low.

Lithuania may well have been first or second on our televote last night and they got nothing overall, they only got one point from Ireland as well and they regularly top their televote.

Yeah, I think the new system really shown in the UK's votes last night with just 1 for Ireland and 10 for Russia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Wheras i don't disagree with the 50/50 split , the professional juy needs to be far bigger. Plus i do think that the EBU should insist that it has a maximum age, and maybe a range of ages, as the BBC's jury of OAPs is just laughable...and they wouldnt understand a large number of modern chart songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can fiddle about all you want but you'll never get a perfect jury, you'll get strange votes, bias. I really think it's all an illusion that juries are some kind of panacea.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »

You will get the total jury votes and total televote i.e. the total ranking of all 26 songs under both counts.

However its up to individual countries if they release their national splits - we may therefore never find out how the UK jury voted.

However I expect the UK jury did not rank the Irish entry high - hence Ireland only getting 1 from the UK despite probably getting a decent televote score.