Options

See you in Court EE! PLEASE READ

jmcdjjmcdj Posts: 35
Forum Member
I thought I'd use this forum as I know what type of traffic it gets day-to-day and thought I must share something that is in fact quite diabolical and in relation to EE and their lack of regard for UK consumer law. I also want to warn as many people as I can about EE and advise you all not to buy an iPhone from them.

Having been a loyal customer of Orange for over a decade, as well as with EE more recently, I recently realised my iPhone 5 had become faulty. I noticed an on-going problem with what seemed to be the battery, whereby my phone would power down with approximately 10 per cent of battery remaining.

I called EE customer services and, following a diagnostic test, was advised that indeed my phone was faulty. I was then transferred through to Apple to arrange for delivery of a new phone.

Upon being transferred to Apple, I was advised that I had three options:

The first was to send my phone in to Apple for a diagnostic test. I would be without my phone for a number of days.

The second was to pay £30 for the privilege of having a courier deliver me a new handset and take away the old one for investigation. A significant charge would be placed on my credit card as a deposit.

The final option was to book an appointment with an Apple store, the nearest one to me being 30 minutes drive away and not feasible.

Having decided none of these options were reasonable and having purchased my iPhone in the (then) Orange store in Greenwich, London, thereby entering a contract for the sale of the phone with Orange/EE and not the phone's manufacturer, I was slightly perturbed by EE's insistence that I would need to go via Apple in order to seek a repair, replacement or refund. Therefore I contacted EE once again to see if anyone else would honour UK consumer law and subsequently advise that what I had previously been told was what it was - utter balderdash.

Unfortunately for me, one of their staff took it upon herself to disregard the UK Sales of Goods Act 1979 and advise that as my phone was in warranty, I would have to go via Apple. I explained I would be contacting her Executive Office and was told they would tell me exactly the same thing.

Not wanting to have to contact the Executive team and waste more of my time, I again foolishly called EE in the hope of speaking to someone with a bit more sense. I spoke to another customer services team member and was advised the same thing. Upon throwing chapter and verse at her in relation to the UK Sales of Goods Act 1979 and my rights as a consumer, having purchased my iPhone 5 in their store, I was kept on hold for a number of minutes and then advised that EE were unwilling to do anything by way of repair, replacement or refund owing to my faulty phone and that only Apple could provide a resolution to my issue. I asked her where she had obtained this information and was advised that she had looked at their WEBSITE! I asked to speak to a manager and was placed on hold once again, only this time I was disconnected.

I know this is getting repetitive now, but stupidly enough I again called the customer services team and spoke to a manager who advised me that she would be happy to go away and speak to their in-house legal team in order to dispute what I was telling her.

I haven't heard back from this silly little manager since.

Since then, I have written to EE via recorded delivery, indicating my intention to pursue them in court and subsequently received a call back from the executive team today to state they are unable to offer me anything as far as a replacement, refund or repair.

Now, when I entered a contract with Orange/EE by purchasing an iPhone in the Orange store, both Orange/EE and I were legally bound by that contract. Within less than 12 months my iPhone is now faulty and, despite this, they are unwilling to honour the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and issue me with a replacement phone. The place of purchase is responsible for dealing with my faulty handset and their refusal to do anything suggests they are in breach of contract.

Under the Act goods must be ‘as described’, 'of satisfactory quality', and 'fit for purpose'. The Act, therefore means I am within my rights to ask EE to replace, repair or refund any faulty item for up to a reasonable amount of time after an item is purchased.

However, they fail to honour the above mentioned law.

Sure, I would possibly need to strengthen my case by seeking an independent valuation of my phone and the problem as it is more than six months old, but this isn't something that bothers me in the slightest; it's a fault caused through no fault of my own. No water damage, no drops, nothing other than a battery related issue.

As a result of today's response I have issued them with a summons for small claims court. I seriously want them to dispute my claim so I can laugh in their faces in court when the judge slaps them on the wrist and tells them to stop thinking they are above the law.

I know this was very long-winded and appreciate it if you've got to the end, but PLEASE BE WARNED if thinking about going with EE.

I'm sure people will question why I don't just pop int the Apple store and get a replacement, but the fact of the matter is I am stickler for good customer service and believe EE should honour consumer law all instances, rather than just pass the buck.

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell mate. Just take it to an apple store. It's not hard.

The first and third option are more than reasonable.
    You say you want a repair or replacement and you would have got one or the other if you'd just chose one of the options.

Clearly you don't know SOGA yourself . I see no mention of yourself providing proof that the phone was inherently faulty.

If you have a flipping manufacturers warranty then get it repaired or replaced under that warranty like you were offered.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of going through all the hassle of court action, it probably would have been easier just to get someone else to take it to the Apple store for you and they would have replaced it no problem.

If you can't get to the Apple store, how are you going to get to court?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    send ee this letter
    [Your address]
    [Company/ supplier address]
    Dear
    [Reference: contract number]
    On [date] I [bought/placed an order for] a [item], received it on [date]. I have discovered that the [item] has the following problem: [add details].
    The Sale of Goods Act 1979 makes it an implied term of the contract that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.
    As you are in breach of contract I am rejecting the [item] and request that you refund the sum paid to you of [price].
    I also require you to confirm whether you will arrange for the [item] to be collected or will reimburse me for the cost of returning it.
    If I do not receive your satisfactory proposals for settlement of my claim within seven days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue a claim against you in the county court without further reference to you.
    Yours sincerely,
    [Your name here]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

You say you want a repair or replacement and you would have got one or the other if you'd just chose one of the options.

Jabbamk1, why on Earth would I want a large corporation to not honour a contract? It's actually a lot easier to deal with it the legal way than it is by continuing to keep on and on at EE, and that is the only thing I regret doing. It would be even easier to go to the Apple store, but why should I allow for EE to wash their hands of the problem, when they should honour my faulty item as well as the SOGA?

The first and third options, as well as the second, are not reasonable at all. It has NOTHING to do with the manufacturer and everything to do with the retailer where my phone was purchased. If you bought a Bosch cooker from Curry's and it broke down within a year, would you go straight to Bosch if Curry's told you to? Please don't say yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    send ee this letter

Thanks GRPS. I've already sent them a letter to similar effect and, as they've responded stating they refuse to do anything, it's now been lodged with the small claims court.

Cheers.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

Clearly you don't know SOGA yourself . I see no mention of yourself providing proof that the phone was inherently faulty.

If you have a flipping manufacturers warranty then get it repaired or replaced under that warranty like you were offered.

I have to agree with you Jabba.
    What the hell is wrong with some people??
    All three options are perfectly reasonable (to a reasonable person).
    My iPhone did nearly exactly the same the other day. Still in Warranty (with Apple).
    Forgetting how Apple work, I rang EE and they told me that as it was in warranty, Apple prefer to deal with it rather than letting the retailer sort it.
    I was advised the easiest thing was to book an appointment (in the Brand new Plymouth store) which I did easily on-line.
    The guy in the store tried all the restoring and poking and prodding and then just got out a new one and that was that.
    I got a nice invoice emailed to me from Apple that said.. Cost of replacement £149, Total to pay £0.00. Nice.

Can someone please tell me how in the 21st century, a 30 minute journey is unreasonable?

This does beggar belief.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Can't be ar*ed to read the first post, so can somebody sum it up in around ten or so words, please? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Can't be ar*ed to read the first post, so can somebody sum it up in around ten or so words, please? :D

Yes, i can-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7nqwGt4-I
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree

My sons IP5 went tits up after 51 weeks , he booked a meeting at the Apple store in Meadowhall,and after a 30 mins travel he arrived and 45 mins later he walked out of the AS with a new IP5

It wasn't so hard for him and he had to travel by train
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »

The guy wants to go through the hassle of court action just to prove a point, basically :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmcdj wrote: »
    I thought I'd use this forum as I know what type of traffic it gets day-to-day and thought I must share something that is in fact quite diabolical and in relation to EE and their lack of regard for UK consumer law. I also want to warn as many people as I can about EE and advise you all not to buy an iPhone from them.

Having been a loyal customer of Orange for over a decade, as well as with EE more recently, I recently realised my iPhone 5 had become faulty. I noticed an on-going problem with what seemed to be the battery, whereby my phone would power down with approximately 10 per cent of battery remaining.

I called EE customer services and, following a diagnostic test, was advised that indeed my phone was faulty. I was then transferred through to Apple to arrange for delivery of a new phone.

The first was to send my phone in to Apple for a diagnostic test. I would be without my phone for a number of days.

The second was to pay £30 for the privilege of having a courier deliver me a new handset and take away the old one for investigation. A significant charge would be placed on my credit card as a deposit.

The final option was to book an appointment with an Apple store, the nearest one to me being 30 minutes drive away and not feasible.

Having decided none of these options were reasonable and having purchased my iPhone in the (then) Orange store in Greenwich, London, thereby entering a contract for the sale of the phone with Orange/EE and not the phone's manufacturer, I was slightly perturbed by EE's insistence that I would need to go via Apple in order to seek a repair, replacement or refund. Therefore I contacted EE once again to see if anyone else would honour UK consumer law and subsequently advise that what I had previously been told was what it was - utter balderdash.

Unfortunately for me, one of their staff took it upon herself to disregard the UK Sales of Goods Act 1979 and advise that as my phone was in warranty, I would have to go via Apple. I explained I would be contacting her Executive Office and was told they would tell me exactly the same thing.

Not wanting to have to contact the Executive team and waste more of my time, I again foolishly called EE in the hope of speaking to someone with a bit more sense. I spoke to another customer services team member and was advised the same thing. Upon throwing chapter and verse at her in relation to the UK Sales of Goods Act 1979 and my rights as a consumer, having purchased my iPhone 5 in their store, I was kept on hold for a number of minutes and then advised that EE were unwilling to do anything by way of repair, replacement or refund owing to my faulty phone and that only Apple could provide a resolution to my issue. I asked her where she had obtained this information and was advised that she had looked at their WEBSITE! I asked to speak to a manager and was placed on hold once again, only this time I was disconnected.

I know this is getting repetitive now, but stupidly enough I again called the customer services team and spoke to a manager who advised me that she would be happy to go away and speak to their in-house legal team in order to dispute what I was telling her.

I haven't heard back from this silly little manager since.

Since then, I have written to EE via recorded delivery, indicating my intention to pursue them in court and subsequently received a call back from the executive team today to state they are unable to offer me anything as far as a replacement, refund or repair.

Now, when I entered a contract with Orange/EE by purchasing an iPhone in the Orange store, both Orange/EE and I were legally bound by that contract. Within less than 12 months my iPhone is now faulty and, despite this, they are unwilling to honour the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and issue me with a replacement phone. The place of purchase is responsible for dealing with my faulty handset and their refusal to do anything suggests they are in breach of contract.

Under the Act goods must be ‘as described’, 'of satisfactory quality', and 'fit for purpose'. The Act, therefore means I am within my rights to ask EE to replace, repair or refund any faulty item for up to a reasonable amount of time after an item is purchased.

However, they fail to honour the above mentioned law.

Sure, I would possibly need to strengthen my case by seeking an independent valuation of my phone and the problem as it is more than six months old, but this isn't something that bothers me in the slightest; it's a fault caused through no fault of my own. No water damage, no drops, nothing other than a battery related issue.

As a result of today's response I have issued them with a summons for small claims court. I seriously want them to dispute my claim so I can laugh in their faces in court when the judge slaps them on the wrist and tells them to stop thinking they are above the law.

I know this was very long-winded and appreciate it if you've got to the end, but PLEASE BE WARNED if thinking about going with EE.

I'm sure people will question why I don't just pop int the Apple store and get a replacement, but the fact of the matter is I am stickler for good customer service and believe EE should honour consumer law all instances, rather than just pass the buck.

Why cause yourself this stress? 30 mins away from an apple store where they would have sorted the issue in 5 minutes. I am with EE in this one,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I have to agree with you Jabba.
    What the hell is wrong with some people??
    All three options are perfectly reasonable (to a reasonable person).
    My iPhone did nearly exactly the same the other day. Still in Warranty (with Apple).
    Forgetting how Apple work, I rang EE and they told me that as it was in warranty, Apple prefer to deal with it rather than letting the retailer sort it.
    I was advised the easiest thing was to book an appointment (in the Brand new Plymouth store) which I did easily on-line.
    The guy in the store tried all the restoring and poking and prodding and then just got out a new one and that was that.
    I got a nice invoice emailed to me from Apple that said.. Cost of replacement £149, Total to pay £0.00. Nice.

Can someone please tell me how in the 21st century, a 30 minute journey is unreasonable?

This does beggar belief.

I'm fairly certain the OP edited his post to include my recommendation of getting an independent report carried out. If he didn't edit his post then WHY did he even post here in the first place if he knows thats what he has to do FIRST!.

He's causing himself so much hassle over something, as you say yourself devon, is very easy to sort out.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    After 6 months the onus is then on the customer to prove there is an inherent fault. EE is doing the right thing by referring you to Apple. Unlike other networks EE as a group won't touch the repair of a faulty iPhone, this has been longstanding since they first won the contract in which to sell iOS devices. Apple is a bit arsey when it comes to diagnosing faults on their devices and it would rather you deal with them direct.

You won't get anyway in the small claims court either as the judge will put you straight when it comes to consumer law. You don't have a case for the small claims either as both Apple and EE have offered reasonable measures in which to have the problem dealt with. It is your own pig headedness which is preventing you from seeing this, no network has an obligation to provide you with a temporary phone should yours need to go off for repair, bit like you would have Currys provide you with a temporary washer should your current one need repairing.

EE are following the law. Although Apple don't have to they assume all warranty responsibility for all of their devices sold through the various retailers no other manufacturer does that.

Get your backside down to the Apple store and have it looked at. You will walk out with an as new device....simple!
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member

Having decided none of these options were reasonable

I would say they're very reasonable. :)

Apple's aftercare service is first class and you're lucky to have those three options. Apple would almost certainly replace your handset with another one.

When my iPhone went wrong, I returned it to the o2 shop who followed the law by sending it to an authorised Apple repair company. I had to wait 2 weeks while my repair' was processed. The second time it went wrong, they did me a favour by advising me to contact Apple. Upon doing do, Apple sent a courier to collect my iPhone and within 4 days, I received a replacement.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    EE complaints on Watchdog at the moment.
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no stipulation in the Sales of Goods Act about how they replace it. They've offered to replace it. Perfectly reasonable in the first instance to go a day or two without a phone. They sold you a phone, not a life support machine. And no-where in the expectations or contract of sale does it say "Apple have supplied a phone which you will never be without"

Couple of days won't kill you, but this level of stress in your life might. Chill out.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you actually purchase an iPhone 5 at £550 in an Orange store, or did you agree to a contract for airtime and data with a free gift of a phone or a gift of a phone at a heavily discounted rate in exchange for taking the contract to buy airtime from Orange?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    After 6 months the onus is then on the customer to prove there is an inherent fault. EE is doing the right thing by referring you to Apple. Unlike other networks EE as a group won't touch the repair of a faulty iPhone, this has been longstanding since they first won the contract in which to sell iOS devices. Apple is a bit arsey when it comes to diagnosing faults on their devices and it would rather you deal with them direct.

You won't get anyway in the small claims court either as the judge will put you straight when it comes to consumer law. You don't have a case for the small claims either as both Apple and EE have offered reasonable measures in which to have the problem dealt with. It is your own pig headedness which is preventing you from seeing this, no network has an obligation to provide you with a temporary phone should yours need to go off for repair, bit like you would have Currys provide you with a temporary washer should your current one need repairing.

EE are following the law. Although Apple don't have to they assume all warranty responsibility for all of their devices sold through the various retailers no other manufacturer does that.

Get your backside down to the Apple store and have it looked at. You will walk out with an as new device....simple!
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    There is no stipulation in the Sales of Goods Act about how they replace it. They've offered to replace it. Perfectly reasonable in the first instance to go a day or two without a phone. They sold you a phone, not a life support machine. And no-where in the expectations or contract of sale does it say "Apple have supplied a phone which you will never be without"

Couple of days won't kill you, but this level of stress in your life might. Chill out.

Spot on. This is kinda what i was trying to say but i'm never good at explaining things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    There is no stipulation that they have to replace it at all. Retailers often refer customers to the manufacturer to carry out the repair, including Currys and the like. Although they are the ones that are legally responsible, they can refer you whoever they want to do the repair, in this case, the manufacturer. They also have an opportunity to inspect the goods, they dont need to bend over backwards and send someone out to replace it on the spot which is obviously what you want. They are being well within the law and giving you three reasonable options.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I had an issue with my iPhone, I went to the Apple store and got a new one. In and out within 10 minutes. None of this court business :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nearest Apple Store is 60 minutes away. I do not consider that 'not feasible' after paying a large amount of money for an electrical item. Knowing Apple, they'll just turn around and give you a new phone.

Would you buy a car, and then complain you had to drive it an hour to the nearest dealership to repair (like I have to?). I'm sure you'd want your car fixed.

To be honest mate, mountains out of mole hills springs to mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    To be honest mate, mountains out of mole hills springs to mind.

It's more like Tsunami's out of Ice mate...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's more like Tsunami's out of Ice mate...

Tru. Dat.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    The guy wants to go through the hassle of court action just to prove a point, basically :rolleyes:
    Terrific - thank you guys! :D:)
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you bought a Bosch cooker from Curry's and it broke down within a year, would you go straight to Bosch if Curry's told you to? Please don't say yes.

Actually you'd have to because Currys do no repairs on a lot of items under the 1st year warranty unless you have one of their extended warranties and the fault was caused by accidental damage!
This discussion has been closed.