Prisoners

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
Hearing good things about this movie, Oscar material?

Out today.

Comments

• mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Was previewed last night (19th) in metro centre odeon. Not open till 27th though. Should be good. Best thriller since Seven some say. Great cast
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is on my list to see when it comes out. I don't tend to really watch trailers too much - I like to get a very slight sense of the film and then just go and see it, rather than knowing much about it before I go and watch. But looking forward to seeing it.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does look pretty good.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this tonight. Loved it. Excellent performance from jake but Hugh in particular. Very difficult (emotions) film to watch at times. Ending was a bit frustrating for me, but all in all, top film!
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing it, such a dearth of what I would call 'grown-up' films at the moment, it's all blockbusters and boy bands :D
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Can't wait to see this. The last film I was this excited about was Side Effects and that let me down somewhat.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Saw this today. Liked it a lot. Overall it's very dark but absorbing at the same time. One or two scenes were fairly disturbing, and it poses some difficult questions to the viewer which is always good for a thriller. 2 and a half hours just seemed to whizz by. I've seen the pacing criticised but I thought it was excellent. It's definitely not on the level of Se7en or Silence of the Lambs but it's a decent watch.

Jake Gyllenhaal is just superb; the rest of the cast do well but he stands out. Potential Oscar nomination on the way. I think he deserved one for either End of Watch or Zodiac and he's even better here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I saw this today and thought it was really good. I loved the moral ambiguity and the fact that it asks questions of you as a viewer. I thought all the cast gave really strong performances but Jake Gyllenhaal in particular was fantastic- his character had real depth despite the fact that you really don't know much about him.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An amazingly well woven plot, bringing together several strands very skilfully. Casting wise theres a hint of "too many cooks",though Gyllenhaal excels - his role is less showy than Jackman's but has more substance to it. The supporting cast is somewhat underused - frankly I wish they had reduced down Jackman's role slightly and given some of the talented supporting cast a bit more to do.

I very much enjoyed the ambiguity of the morality we were seeing from the characters and how that played out. I found it especially interesting that to varying degrees you could argue that all the main cast, to varying degrees, were victims in one way or another. However it was disappointing that the character who ultimately is the most clearly defined victim is rather hastily discarded in a rather unsatisfying way.
    Would it really have killed them to show even one frame of footage of Alex post rescue? Seriously, what was up with that? :confused:

But then on the other hand, the film was over long, overall. I suspect this may have been left on the cutting room floor (i read the initial cut was 3 hours odd long) but even so I think there was a bit of an issue with the editing in so much as some things were really glossed over quickly while some plot points were laboured to the point of tedium.

Still overall, it was good, but I was slightly disappointed with some elements of it.

I had to complete one of those cinema score audience reaction surveys this evening, I rated it a B, but it wasn't far away from being a C.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing this this week :)
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I have this on my to watch list. Looks great.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    An amazingly well woven plot, bringing together several strands very skilfully. Casting wise theres a hint of "too many cooks",though Gyllenhaal excels - his role is less showy than Jackman's but has more substance to it. The supporting cast is somewhat underused - frankly I wish they had reduced down Jackman's role slightly and given some of the talented supporting cast a bit more to do.

I very much enjoyed the ambiguity of the morality we were seeing from the characters and how that played out. I found it especially interesting that to varying degrees you could argue that all the main cast, to varying degrees, were victims in one way or another. However it was disappointing that the character who ultimately is the most clearly defined victim is rather hastily discarded in a rather unsatisfying way.
    Would it really have killed them to show even one frame of footage of Alex post rescue? Seriously, what was up with that? :confused:

But then on the other hand, the film was over long, overall. I suspect this may have been left on the cutting room floor (i read the initial cut was 3 hours odd long) but even so I think there was a bit of an issue with the editing in so much as some things were really glossed over quickly while some plot points were laboured to the point of tedium.

Still overall, it was good, but I was slightly disappointed with some elements of it.

I had to complete one of those cinema score audience reaction surveys this evening, I rated it a B, but it wasn't far away from being a C.
    Still a great little, long, drama [7/10] - but there was too much Dover, wanted more of the other Family, and with two and a half hours running time, there was time.
    And I though Dover deserved to stay in the Hole.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10/10 for me, best film i have seen in years

was like reading a book, it was interactive in how it gor viewers to think about what had happened and who did it etc

i got alot right but in no way was it ever obvious

jake and hugh were amazing and paul dano did really well too

i loved the ending personally

different people will see it different ways i guess and thats why its such a great film, side with dover or despise his actions etc

i sided with him overall even though it was painful to watch.

do yourself a favour and watch this brilliant film.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Still a great little, long, drama [7/10] - but there was too much Dover, wanted more of the other Family, and with two and a half hours running time, there was time.
    And I though Dover deserved to stay in the Hole.
    Why? His actions were certainly extreme - but he thought it was the only way to get his daughter back....

Also, I wish in the ending they had either shown he was dead - or they show his rescue - I hate ambiguity.
  • SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was a really well made film with great direction and acting. But I found myself squirming in my seat quite a few times. It is a really tough film, in all senses of the word. It's tackles a tough subject and it forces you to face a harsh and tough moral quandry. I' haven't really stopped thinking about it since I saw it. This film is the stuff nightmares are made of.
    Forum Member
    Only half a dozen in the pictures with me to see this movie and it was the cheapest day so not doing very well up here at metrocentre.
    Great movie though. Bit like a good Prime Suspect episode. Everyone was still sitting in the cinema as the credits rolled cos they didnt think it was over. The ending was a bit corny imo.
    Great acting. Really like Hugh and Jake in virtually any movie they are in.
    The others characters too were really well played. Dont think its an oscar type movie but there might be some for the supporting cast.
    2 and a half hours flew by. Didnt look at my watch once!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Why? His actions were certainly extreme - but he thought it was the only way to get his daughter back....

Also, I wish in the ending they had either shown he was dead - or they show his rescue - I hate ambiguity.
    seemed to me that he was 100% alive, was using the whistle to get someones attention and it worked.
    also i agree with the person who said they couldnt stop thinking about the film after
    Forum Member
    i think i was pretty obvious he was going to be rescued at the end
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mods can soemone spoiler my above psot please, i thought i had. please before it ruins it for someone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching this tonight. I've avoided spoilers which is great :)
  • George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Just saw this in a packed but silent Cineworld Glasgow screening.

A very good film indeed. Ole Donnie Darko was superb in his role I thought, and Hugh Jackman was fantastic as the distressed father. I do wish we had seen more of the other family though.

Quite tough to watch at bits, as any good drama / thriller should be. One of the years best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw this in a packed but silent Cineworld Glasgow screening.

A very good film indeed. Ole Donnie Darko was superb in his role I thought, and Hugh Jackman was fantastic as the distressed father. I do wish we had seen more of the other family though.

Quite tough to watch at bits, as any good drama / thriller should be. One of the years best.

did anyone else think
    jake gylenhall was abductor after the first chinese restaurant scene?

im glad they didnt take that route.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also just back from seeing this in a packed screening in Cineworld Glasgow. LOVED it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    did anyone else think
    jake gylenhall was abductor after the first chinese restaurant scene?

im glad they didnt take that route.
    I had read that there were a load of twists so that did cross my mind for a second

Just got back from watching it - amazing!! I also agree - can't stop thinking about it - so many talking points!
    I think it was also obvious he would get rescued - Jake's character definitely heard the whistle again and didn't think he was hearing things.

I'd recommend going with someone in case you need to ask questions afterwards - that's what I had to do!
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I have seen this for the second time tonight. Saw it a week ago in USA and went with my daughter tonight. A second viewing was great as there were some parts I didn't quite get.

I still have no idea how Jackman knew
    where to go immediately after the girl in the hospital said " you were there, they taped our mouths " I thought there may have been tape on the kitchen table when he saw the newspaper, but on second viewing it was elastic bands !

Very thought provoking and I agree Gyllenhall was superb.