Labour won't win in 2015

Comments

• david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Second general election in a row with no overall majority on a 40 to 50% turnout here we come :D
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be real here, I don't think anything is going to change. It will still either be Cameron and Miliband. The system is broken. The best you can do is decide which is the lesser of 2 evils.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darakinss wrote: »
    Let's be real here, I don't think anything is going to change. It will still either be Cameron and Miliband. The system is broken. The best you can do is decide which is the lesser of 2 evils.
    As Mae West said -
    "Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darakinss wrote: »

I read posts like this on here from time to time and just don't understand them. How exactly is the system broken? We have growth, reducing inflation and unemployment, education, healthcare, pensions and benefits being paid. We have laws, due process, a defence force, police, communications and power networks and frankly any number of other things.

On some of those aspects we rank among the best countries in the world. On most others we're not too shabby either.

The system can always run better - but invariably it comes at a price which isn't just financial but ideological. With three centrally aligned parties, politics has become the art of making ideologies appear different, when the reality is that the opportunity for differentiation is negligible. All it really achieves is to add delay and uncertainty.

If it's massive change you're after, count me out. Either Miliband and Cameron may appear to be the lesser of two evils (I appreciate it's a phrase), but history has shown time and that wholescale political change - often initiated as a response to social unrest - can all too often result in the emerge of a third option - and real evil.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Tories will win, possibly even an outright majority and Cameron will be a 10 year PM like Thatcher and Blair.

Not that I want it that way but don't see Labour at all winning the next election, tories are doing all the right things which the British want, i.e. bashing immigrants, people on benefits, implementing cuts, and it will pay off for them eventually when push comes to shove. I'm pretty sure the public is with the tories on cuts, immigration and benefits?

The tories are only unpopular because they're in power, during difficult economic times, but in 2015, I can't see anyone turning to Labour (I hope I'm wrong!).

I hope you're right with that very rational and plausible scenario. Milliband will never reach Number 10. His student -style smarminess will ensure that he turns voters off. He's a young Michael Foot whose politics are based on theory rather than reality.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,100
    Forum Member
    Whatever happens I hope the Lib Dems end up back in the political abyss they came from. If ever a party was least worthy of political power it's them.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    Whatever happens I hope the Lib Dems end up back in the political abyss they came from. If ever a party was least worthy of political power it's them.

They're no worse than any other party. The trouble is that being the junior partner in government, they can't possibly achieve most of the things their supporters would like them to do. People in the UK are just not used to the compromises that have to be made when you have a coalition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    I hope you're right with that very rational and plausible scenario. Milliband will never reach Number 10. His student -style smarminess will ensure that he turns voters off. He's a young Michael Foot whose politics are based on theory rather than reality.

I don't know much about Michael Foot, but I do agree on this. He's the least appealing Labour leader I can remember, and there's some pretty stiff competition!

However, what about the Prime Minister's public-school-style smarminess? Fakery oozes from every pore, exposed by the hesitation in all his attempted 'man of the people' anecdotes about such subjects as buying pasties and supporting 'my team' Aston Villa.

It's pretty shocking that in a country so full of talent and initiative, this is all we have to choose from for the office of Prime Minister.

I wish we had a more open system like the US, in which successful business figures from either end of the spectrum, such as Karren Brady or Alan Sugar, could run in open primaries, along with other people who may not necessarily appeal to trades union bosses or swivel-eyed extremist loons who decide the party leadership elections, but might attract support from ordinary party 'supporters' rather than members.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fingers crossed we don't see an outright majority in 2015 general election.

Labour under Miliband will not win in 2015 but the tories do not deserve to win more seats at Westminster in 2015 than all of the rest of the parties put together either.

The tories are going to have to go into coalition again or try to run a minority governmeny that sees most of their bills not coming through the vote in the commons.

The days of the same party winning 4 or 5 general elections in a row with an outright majority over the rest of the parties put together have long gone now.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It's far too early to be talking about this.

Yes, if a week is a long time in politics, how much longer is 18 months? Of course it is fun to speculate but none can be sure which way the result will go at this stage.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed we don't see an outright majority in 2015 general election.

Labour under Miliband will not win in 2015 but the tories do not deserve to win more seats at Westminster in 2015 than all of the rest of the parties put together either.

The tories are going to have to go into coalition again or try to run a minority governmeny that sees most of their bills not coming through the vote in the commons.

The days of the same party winning 4 or 5 general elections in a row with an outright majority over the rest of the parties put together have long gone now.

I suspect people were saying that sort of thing in the 1930's.

However that changed after WW2.

However that does tend to rely on one party making itself unelectable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see lots of extra voters turning up at the polling booth in 2015 just to make sure that the tories gain an outright majority.

I can't see more than 50% of the electorate turning up at the polling booths on general election day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Yes, if a week is a long time in politics, how much longer is 18 months? Of course it is fun to speculate but none can be sure which way the result will go at this stage.

Did that little jig Kinnock did in 1992 really cost labour 5 million voters at the polliing booth?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't see a load of labour shadow cabinet members all losing their seats (some of them losing their deposits) at the upcoming general election.

Milliband will keep his seat. No opposition leader has ever lost their seat before and nothing will change in 2015.
  • horace_Tort1horace_Tort1 Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It's far too early to be talking about this.

The BLOODY TORIES have no chance of winning in 2015.
    Just wait and see:p
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BLOODY TORIES have no chance of winning in 2015.
    Just wait and see:p

Well I wasn't sure but now you have convinced me...:D:D
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    Well I wasn't sure but now you have convinced me...:D:D

Good you know I am right.
    No Way will the country vote the BLOODY TORIES into power.
    The election is over before it begins.
    These BLOODY TORIES could not even beat a PISS POOR LABOUR Party with a leader who "saved the World" in May 2010.
    I remember the BLOODY TORIES saying in 2008/9 they would stick to the Labour spending plans after the 2010 election.
    NEVER TRUST the BLOODY TORIES and there Banker's friends.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Conservatives have not won a general election since 1992, 23 years in 2015. I'm not sure how anyone thinks that this divisive, error ridden party led by Cameron, Osborne and IDS have a chance of getting enough seats to win the 2015 election ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These BLOODY TORIES could not even beat a PISS POOR LABOUR Party with a leader who "saved the World" in May 2010.
    I remember the BLOODY TORIES saying in 2008/9 they would stick to the Labour spending plans after the 2010 election.
    tony321 wrote: »
    The Conservatives have not won a general election since 1992, 23 years in 2015. I'm not sure how anyone thinks that this divisive, error ridden party led by Cameron, Osborne and IDS have a chance of getting enough seats to win the 2015 election ?

I think Horace_Tort1 has the more convincing argument
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For one year, yes. And not only did they stick to them, they overspent by £20bn.

And to be precise, it was in 2007/08.
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    For one year, yes. And not only did they stick to them, they overspent by £20bn.

And to be precise, it was in 2007/08.

NEVER TRUST THE BLOODY TORIES and there Rich Friends
    What's a year before friends LOL? Please don't concern yourself about me being a Taxpayer.
    The POINT BEING these BLOODY TORIES said they would stick to the spending plans of a PISS POOR Labour Party and there leader who "SAVED THE WORLD" after the next Election!
    Again I know I keep on but....DON'T TRUST the BLOODY TORIES
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think, and hope, that the Tories' war on the vulnerable will see them voted out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEVER TRUST THE BLOODY TORIES and there Rich Friends
    What's a year before friends LOL? Please don't concern yourself about me being a Taxpayer.
    The POINT BEING these BLOODY TORIES said they would stick to the spending plans of a PISS POOR Labour Party and there leader who "SAVED THE WORLD" after the next Election!
    Again I know I keep on but....DON'T TRUST the BLOODY TORIES

[QUOTE=JasonWatkins;70559898]I personally think, and hope, that the Tories' war on the vulnerable will see them voted out.[/QUOTE]

BIB I think that is what Horace is trying to say NEVER TRUST THE BLOODY TORIES!!:o:o
  • faded.princessfaded.princess Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think, and hope, that the Tories' war on the vulnerable will see them voted out.

Wow, how many times do Labour have to destroy the economy and ruin the country before you realise which side your bread is buttered on.

Every repeat EVERY labour government has failed miserably resulting in the Tories having to implement austere methods to bring the country back to prosperity at which time people like you vote them out and bring back the wreckers.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that we need a long term of austerity to repair the damage Blair and Brown did in the name of New Labour.