Options

Women on valentines day...

J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
Forum Member
✭✭
Got my girlfriend some flowers for valentines day. Proper nice bunch they were too.

She asked where I got them, so I told her. Then she flew off the handle and started yelling :confused:

Any idea what her problem might be?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    Got my girlfriend some flowers for valentines day. Proper nice bunch they were too.

She asked where I got them, so I told her. Then she flew off the handle and started yelling :confused:

They're carnations, aren't they? Or from the local Shell garage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're carnations, aren't they? Or from the local Shell garage?

They might well be carnations :confused: Is that bad?
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You got them from the local crematorium?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very. You may as well have got her a Tesco Value Card.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Don't you know that roses are the 'official' flower of Valentine's Day? If you're gonna get flowers, it has to be roses or don't bother I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they pink *makes "please don't answer yes" scary face*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Yes. Don't you know that roses are the 'official' flower of Valentine's Day? If you're gonna get flowers, it has to be roses or don't bother I'm afraid.

They are also donator flowers... Do any of you have that in your areas? I'm thinking she might not understand what that is and that's why she's mad...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are also donator flowers... Do any of you have that in your areas? I'm thinking she might not understand what that is and that's why she's mad...

No idea what they are mate - do tell........ I hope my feeling that this is just gonna get worse is misplaced!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea what they are mate - do tell........ I hope my feeling that this is just gonna get worse is misplaced!

Basically when you receive flowers and you decide to 'pass the gift on' to someone less fortunate, (or in my case in a rush), like sharing. It's meant to be somewhere simple and prominent that everyone donates / receives their flowers, round here I got these from a lamp post.

Perhaps if I try and explain this things will be ok?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically when you receive flowers and you decide to 'pass the gift on' to someone less fortunate, (or in my case in a rush), like sharing. It's meant to be somewhere simple and prominent that everyone donates / receives their flowers, round here I got these from a lamp post.

*facepalms and shakes head*
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is a wind-up, isn't it. No way did you a) think it would be a god idea to give your g/f second-hand flowers and b) admit this to your g/f. I even have my doubts about this 'donator flowers' scheme. There's no market for passing on second-hand flowers in this way, and even if there was, how the Hell did they survive being tied to a lamp-post in this weather?! If I google it, how may hits will I get? Cute story, but I'm calling shenanigans.

ETA - oh, I've just got the significance of getting them from a lamp-post ! :D POETS day today and all that. ;-) Like I say, cute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member

Cornflour, or self-raising?
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Such a charmer :p
    *facepalms and shakes head*

:D
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

If you explain it properly, and the heartfelt sentiment behind your actions, then I’m sure your girl-friend will understand, and then really appreciate your gesture. What rational woman wouldn’t ?

Alternatively, she may well smash you in the gob with a frying-pan......... stay out of range until you have completely ‘gauged’ her reaction.

Women eh ??? ..so ungrateful at times........;can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em. :confused:
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you should take her to the local cemetery and let her pick out her favourites?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was something on Sabotage Times a few weeks ago advertising a special "buy your girlfriend a funeral for Valentine's Day".

Maybe Oscar Pistorius could have benefitted from that last year.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dump her, if she can't appreciate the gesture then get shot of here double quick else you are going to be in for a lifetime of hell.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

Weird, joined 2012, started posting recently but soaps only and now 2 wind up threads on the trot
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    This is a wind-up, isn't it. No way did you a) think it would be a god idea to give your g/f second-hand flowers and b) admit this to your g/f. I even have my doubts about this 'donator flowers' scheme. There's no market for passing on second-hand flowers in this way, and even if there was, how the Hell did they survive being tied to a lamp-post in this weather?! If I google it, how may hits will I get? Cute story, but I'm calling shenanigans.

ETA - oh, I've just got the significance of getting them from a lamp-post ! :D POETS day today and all that. ;-) Like I say, cute.
    Yes of course, possibly an old friend
  • Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She is an ungrateful person
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »
    She is an ungrateful person

Tell you what Nat I'm starting to think the same. This whole debacle is making me think that I should be trading her in for a different model. Do you think I should?
  • Options
    lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in an episode of Extreme Cheapskates someone gave their missus flowers found in the rubbish bins for their anniversary!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can testify that these schemes do exist (not exactly how the OP reckons though - you do no go and pick them from a shrine :o)

You can opt to donate the funeral flowers to local care homes, shelters, nursing homes, local people who receive care (elderly people for example)

You will be asked if you want to do this by the funeral company when you start dealing with them

Not sure if this is a nationwide thing? Or even if its still done?

We did it with my granddad's flowers in 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the long and short of it is that I'm not taking her out for the meal I had planned tonight. I hadn't booked anything yet anyway so no harm done.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my misses told me im only allowed to buy her flowers if they are under £1. If we are in tesco and its 2nd time round reduce time I grab as many bunches for £1 (total)...works a treat.. anyway she hates roses, and prefers plants...