Options

My partner won't stop asking me 'what is wrong' or 'you have a tone'

ahrimaniacahrimaniac Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
I really don't know how to word this without making him seem like an arse because he really isn't, I know it's well-intentioned and that he means well.

The main problem is, my partner keeps asking me whether there is something wrong, or telling me that I have a tone in my voice which makes him doubtful that I'm 'alright' or that I'm not telling him something when I'm unhappy. The problem is. it's creating a major problem with me because I'm starting to feel on edge around him and I don't really know what to do.

I sat down with him a week or so ago and reassured him that if something was wrong, I'd tell him all about it, but that his second-guessing was driving me mad, and he seemed to accept it. But today is a great example - I've had a really long week, and I'm absolutely tired out. He doesn't take the fact that I look tired into account, instead I've had a fairly constant stream of 'What is the matter' or 'are you SURE' whenever I say I'm alright. I was having a bath when he asked me a question and then followed it up with 'are you sure because you don't sound like you're happy' (my frickin' face was pretty much underwater at the time, I don't know how he expects me to sound!) and so I shouted that I was fine, and a big argument ensued - which I know he'll then take as proof that I wasn't alright after all.

It really is getting to the point where I can't deal with it all the time. He'll make comments about me looking at other men in the gym and then say he was only joking, but I know he's insecure about it, so it then makes me doubly-worse because I'm constantly worrying about him AND worrying about where I look so I don't upset him.

I'm at a loss of what to do. He really is the perfect husband in every way and I don't want to get rid of him or anything drastic, but he will not accept that he's doing anything wrong - I love him to bits but I can't keep going like this if he won't accept that I'll just bloody tell him if I have a problem. :( any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    He reminds me so much of someone I had a relationship with that reading your post made me feel physically ill. He used to go on and on about things - especially about me and other men (there were no other men) and in the end I felt it was abuse (what used to be referred to as 'mental cruelty') and we're no longer together.

You are feeling 'on edge' and having difficulty dealing with it. He won't change so you either learn to understand his insecurity or show him the door.

And, by the way, if he tells you he was 'only joking' about you looking at other men - well that's just insulting.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Counselling! For him, not you.

He's fabricating a world of pain for himself. It's unnecessary. But he won't realise that without professional help.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a round-about way of him saying there's something wrong in his life that he can't quite bring up, so he's asking you if you're fine all the time in the hope you'll ask him the same question ?
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to reassure him won't work. If anything it might make him feel as though 'the lady doth protest too much'. I would advise you to stop trying to prove anything to him - instead he needs to understand that this is inside his head and nothing to do with your behaviour.

Have you tried sitting him down and asking him what he is anxious or insecure about. What are his fears. Try to get him to see that this is about him - not about you. Perhaps he is feeling unattractive or has lost confidence in himself in some other way - has he always been like this or is it new behaviour. Try to get underneath what he is saying, find out what's driving it.

He may need some counselling or CBT to help to change the way he is thinking.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Have you told him how this makes you feel? If so, what was his response? Try not to make it sound like an accusation though 'cause he may take go into defensive mode and an argument will follow.. Try it like "I like how you're concerned for me and you want to help if something's wrong but it can make me feel insecure of how to behave around you when it can seem like you get that impression easily when everything is actually fine and it's not very easy to reassure you" and say that sometimes things may annoy you and you're not going to be 24/7 happy, but that's ok and you know he's there for you :) Hope this makes sense?
  • Options
    deb813deb813 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Why don't you try telling him the truth? So you've had a long tired week....tell him. Don't say you are alright when you are not, no wonder he doesn't know if he's coming or going. If you are unhappy talk to him about why.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    bin him

sorted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bin him

sorted

That's just ridiculous. Marriages are supposed to be worth more than just being thrown away when you reach a hurdle. I feel sorry for your partner/future partner if you feel like people should just up every time there's a problem.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask him what is wrong, when he asks you. The fact he is constantly seeking some kind of reassurance and has mentioned the other men issue seems to suggest an insecurity of some kind. You have not mentioned your age, longevity of relationship or whether something has happened to trigger this. Have any friends split up recently. Has he been made redundant. If this has come on suddenly there must be a trigger.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Psychologist walked around a room while teaching Stress Management to an audience.

As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "Half empty or Half full" question.

Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired:
    "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter.
    It depends on how long I hold it.

If I hold it for a minute,
    it's not a problem.

If I hold it for an hour,
    I'll have an ache in my arm.

If I hold it for a day,
    my arm will feel numb and paralyzed.

In each case,
    the weight of the glass doesn't change,

But

The longer I hold it,
    the heavier it becomes.

She continued,
    "The Stresses and Worries in Life , are like that Glass of Water...

Think about them for a while and nothing happens.

Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt.

And

If you think about them all day long,
    you will feel paralyzed –
    incapable of doing anything....!!!"

Remember to put the Glass Down
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell him to bog off and leave you alone, but say it with a glint in your eye to take the sting out of it. Humour works wonders. Don't make such a big deal of it. If you just keep telling him, with a variety of daft responses, he'll soon get the message.
  • Options
    PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    4smiffy wrote: »
    Tell him to bog off and leave you alone, but say it with a glint in your eye to take the sting out of it. Humour works wonders. Don't make such a big deal of it. If you just keep telling him, with a variety of daft responses, he'll soon get the message.

That's probably the best suggestion because trying to be reasonable with an unreasonable person isn't going to work - just tell him to bog off, as 4smiffy says.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahrimaniac wrote: »
    I really don't know how to word this without making him seem like an arse because he really isn't, I know it's well-intentioned and that he means well.

The main problem is, my partner keeps asking me whether there is something wrong, or telling me that I have a tone in my voice which makes him doubtful that I'm 'alright' or that I'm not telling him something when I'm unhappy. The problem is. it's creating a major problem with me because I'm starting to feel on edge around him and I don't really know what to do.

I sat down with him a week or so ago and reassured him that if something was wrong, I'd tell him all about it, but that his second-guessing was driving me mad, and he seemed to accept it. But today is a great example - I've had a really long week, and I'm absolutely tired out. He doesn't take the fact that I look tired into account, instead I've had a fairly constant stream of 'What is the matter' or 'are you SURE' whenever I say I'm alright. I was having a bath when he asked me a question and then followed it up with 'are you sure because you don't sound like you're happy' (my frickin' face was pretty much underwater at the time, I don't know how he expects me to sound!) and so I shouted that I was fine, and a big argument ensued - which I know he'll then take as proof that I wasn't alright after all.

It really is getting to the point where I can't deal with it all the time. He'll make comments about me looking at other men in the gym and then say he was only joking, but I know he's insecure about it, so it then makes me doubly-worse because I'm constantly worrying about him AND worrying about where I look so I don't upset him.

I'm at a loss of what to do. He really is the perfect husband in every way and I don't want to get rid of him or anything drastic, but he will not accept that he's doing anything wrong - I love him to bits but I can't keep going like this if he won't accept that I'll just bloody tell him if I have a problem. :( any help greatly appreciated.

A bit of back-ground info would help.

How long has this been going on? How long have you been together / married?

Anything ever happened to warrant this? Affair / separation? Anything in his past that could make him feel insecure?

Sorry lots of questions.

It just seems random that this has become a sudden issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    A Psychologist walked around a room while teaching Stress Management to an audience.

As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "Half empty or Half full" question.

it's not a problem.

If I hold it for a day,

In each case,

But

The longer I hold it,
    the heavier it becomes.

She continued,

And

Not sure this will help the OP but it has helped me.
  • Options
    FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bin him

sorted

This sort of well-thought-out, articulate and empathetic advice seems to be your speciality of late. Do you think it's funny or do you have some sort of deeper problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »

it's not a problem.

If I hold it for a day,

In each case,

But

The longer I hold it,
    the heavier it becomes.

She continued,

And

That's actually good advice :D Thanks for sharing it
  • Options
    Pallas_athenaPallas_athena Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Once again this reminds me so much of my ex. I have said it before, when the relationship goes stale this kind of behavior is so common. My friends also had the same problems. In my opinion it is good to spend time apart at this stage and wait and see if anything is different when you return. You never know, he may have changed and understood he was being super annoying.
  • Options
    SWMBOSWMBO Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    This reminds me of my ex too. He constantly asked what was wrong, was everything all right etc. It became so bad that I couldn't stand being with him as he had become a life sucking alien.

I became so tired and worn down with his behaviour that one day when he left for work, I packed up as many of my things as possible and just left. I know this was a cowardly and cruel way to behave, but I knew that if I told him I was leaving, he would cry or use emotional blackmail to keep me there.

I didn't even tell my family what I was planning or where I had moved to so they wouldn't be lying when they told him they didn't know where I was.

This was 20 years ago, but even today something will remind me of him and his behaviour and I feel sick.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do this first...
    deb813 wrote: »
    Why don't you try telling him the truth? So you've had a long tired week....tell him. Don't say you are alright when you are not, no wonder he doesn't know if he's coming or going. If you are unhappy talk to him about why.

But if that doesn't work, do this next:
    4smiffy wrote: »
  • Options
    wmoorewmoore Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How well do the both of communicate with each other ? Remember non of us are mind readers. If your body language and tone don't match what you are saying, then of course he is going to think something is not right. There are some people that do 'over read' body language and tone.
    My advice..Over communicate, if you have had a bad day, tell him as soon as you get in the door.
    Also know each others Love Language http://www.5lovelanguages.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red flags should be raised the second he claimed he was "joking" about you looking at other men at the gym, it seems like a not so subtle slide into being a control freak and i should know i suffered with a father who was exactly the same
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the flip-side...I'm an 'asker'.

Sometimes my husband can go about looking like he's got the real hump or I feel like I'm getting a 'vibe' from him that he's unhappy about something.

I used to ask a lot and, as frustrating as it was for him, it was equally frustrating for me to be told 'nothing' constantly, when I was fairly sure something actually was up.

We had a row about it and he said, 'Well, I haven't got the hump, or DIDN'T have the hump but, I f-ing well do now. You keep asking is giving me the f-ing hump'.
    I heard that loud and clear and now I either don't ask or if I do (because there are occasions it's appropriate)I accept his first response. I accept it even if I don't believe it, I don't believe it because he's going around like a thunder cloud shouting at the kids or something.

Be careful what you wish for - I have certainly found myself giving a fcuk far less than I used to and just assume that he'll talk to me if he wants.

My advice is, he obviously wants to talk to you about something, he is feeling insecure because he feels something isn't right. Find a way between you two to communicate more effectively. If he needs reassurance, give him it; if you need time alone, tell him. Instead of getting cross with each other maybe try finding out what the root cause is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Of course, you might have bitchy resting face, an affliction many of us endure which often leads to those sort of are you ok questions or worse, the cheer up it might never happen ones :D This is mostly a female issue, men tend to suffer from asshole resting face which brings its own set of problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Understandably, we can only give advice on half a story. So, in reality, it's no understanding at all. We don't know the history (of the poster or the partner), so how on earth can we even guess at the myriad problems and worries really involved?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, you might have bitchy resting face, an affliction many of us endure which often leads to those sort of are you ok questions or worse, the cheer up it might never happen ones :D This is mostly a female issue, men tend to suffer from asshole resting face which brings its own set of problems.

I have a bitchy resting face. I am perfectly happy but look like a moody cow. When I am fed up though, boy my face really lets you know about it. I am going off to practice being unscrutable.