Options

ALISON BELL on LBC

Comments

• Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tc7 wrote: »
    All I know about her is that she doesnt like un-circumcised men!!

I was quite offended by her comments at the time, they came across as purile and childish!

Tc

Just her pathetic attempts at being provocative.
  • Options
    Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member
    sweeney123 wrote: »
    Where did they find this dummy? :eek:

I didn't realise that one woman could come out with so much nonsense. She can't be this dopey on her own, she must have assistants. Who are they?

Couldn't have put it better myself. I've jsut found out she's replacing Anna Raeburn permernantly. :mad: Can't believe this woman got a job on radio. She's shockingly bad.:eek:
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    I happen to think Alison Bell does a good job on LBC.

Ok, the subjects might not be as hard hitting as some other LBC presenters but I for one appreciate a bit of light hearted debate amongst the serious discussion.

And if people don't agree with her views, which I don't an awful lot of the time, then I guess that is the catalyst to discussion which I believe is the corner stone of what LBC is about!

Keep it up Alison, you deserve that afternoon slot :)

nicely put SF :)

as for not liking uncircumcised men... well that's me out of the running then :D
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that she hasn't heard of Tracy Beaker! The BBC constantly repeat this children's show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I tried to listen to her last week and her style of show was done so much better by David Preever.

I'm all for her starting topics that will cause heated exchanges but she was downright rude to some people without having actually researched the subject and it was making me cringe.

She reminds me of a female Alan Partridge :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I didn't like Allison Bell either. However, some posters are lumping her in the crap camp with Carol McGiffin, who I love listening to. Could listen to Carol and Jenny Eclair all day.

Allison Bell however, urgh .. she puts me in mind of that Lucy who produces Nick Abbot (mind you don't like him either). Giggly, childish rubbish.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had Lucy producing on Saturday night. Last night there was a bloke who sounded about 12, with a speech impediment. :eek: It seems to be a pre-requisite of that show that the producer must have a deeply irritating voice.

Incidentally re bell, and in response to SF's post, it isn't that listeners are unhappy if they disagree with her point of view, what we'd like to hear from her is some evidence that she actually understands the subject she's discussing, and didn't just turn up and open the mic.
  • Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Last night there was a bloke who sounded about 12, with a speech impediment. :eek: It seems to be a pre-requisite of that show that the producer must have a deeply irritating voice.

The legendary Agent Chris was producing last night! He was almost never heard until about 18 months ago and seemed very shy when he started speaking but he's really grown in confidence since then. Iain has occasionally let him do the show for a while and he sounds very competent with callers.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mentioning Anna Raeburn, what happened to her? I could gladly listen to Anna all afternoon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »
    The legendary Agent Chris was producing last night! He was almost never heard until about 18 months ago and seemed very shy when he started speaking but he's really grown in confidence since then. Iain has occasionally let him do the show for a while and he sounds very competent with callers.

Having heard the Producer speak, I now understand why Iain Lee's show is like it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mentioning Anna Raeburn, what happened to her? I could gladly listen to Anna all afternoon.

Sadly she was let go by Global, the new owners. :(

I did hear her being interviewed on Radio 4 a few weeks ago, but nothing since.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that is a shame, I really did enjoy that slot and LBC have let some real talent go there.
  • Options
    Miss SixtyMiss Sixty Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is one of the best presenters on LBC. She says it "like it is". Always very friendly,cheerful, and interesting coversations.

I think Alison has good appeal on LBC.

She talks to the audience on their level - about everyday things.

She doesn't pretend to be an expert or a know-it-all with strong views.

Alison, as far as I'm concerned, really connects with the average LBC listener.

She's not a "must listen" like Nick Abbot or Clive Bull - but she's perfectly interesting listening in off-peak hours.

She's had well-publicised troubles in the past but came through it smiling - you have to admire her for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Jenny Eclair as a stand-up but find her hard to listen to on LBC.

Her content is just too about her "in crowd" - ie showbizzy backstage lovey-dovey stuff.

I'm afraid when she was on Saturday mornings after Paul Ross, I'd often have to switch to Magic or Jonathan Ross.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Sixty wrote: »

Alison, as far as I'm concerned, really connects with the average LBC listener.

What is an average LBC listener these days, one minute they're providing programming for different demographics, such as the Iain Lee show and a white van man breakfast show with Ferrari.

I agree with what you say about Alison Miss Sixty though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is an average LBC listener these days, one minute they're providing programming for different demographics, such as the Iain Lee show and a white van man breakfast show with Ferrari.

True Martin.

I guess LBC need a mix of presenting styles to get as broad an audience as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True Martin.

I guess LBC need a mix of presenting styles to get as broad an audience as possible.

It's been mentioned on the main LBC thread that at least daytime on LBC has become more mainstream with Iain and Clive's show's watered down, so we may have that average LBC listener in the near future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweeney123 wrote: »
    Congratulations La Rhumba, you obviously know more about her than I do. The last time I heard her she was saying, in a childlike way, that the police should not worry about burglary, but should concentrate on violent crime. What the **** does she think burglars are?
    As you pointed out, a bit of research might be in order.
    And if she's one of the best on LBC then God help the others. I'm not mad about Vanessa Feltz but compared to poor Alison she's a radio superstar.

The majority of burglars are thieves, yes there are cases of aggravated burglary which are violent but the majority of cases of burglary are pure thievery.
    Violent crime is actual bodily harm, grievous bodily harm, stabbings, beatings and gun crimes. Research.
    Alison Bell is superb, a good listen. I always listen; unlike to Jenny Eclair, possibly the worst broadcaster ever on lbc (now there's a poll you could run, I think I'll start that thread).
    Listen to Alison Bell with an open mind and you will realise why we love her.
    BUT why was the opportunity not taken to get rid of Allen, I am so disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calais wrote: »
    Listen to Alison Bell with an open mind and you will realise why we love her.
    BUT why was the opportunity not taken to get rid of Allen, I am so disappointed.

By *we* I presume you're referring to the posters on the LBC Chat thread?

To read that thread - which I haven't done for months - you'd assume that Steve Allen was the most unpopular presenter on the station, he was constantly criticised on a daily basis on that thread, and referred to in disparaging terms.

The reason he was kept on is because he IS popular with the listeners and has a very good audience. So you'll have to remain disappointed. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    By *we* I presume you're referring to the posters on the LBC Chat thread?

To read that thread - which I haven't done for months - you'd assume that Steve Allen was the most unpopular presenter on the station, he was constantly criticised on a daily basis on that thread, and referred to in disparaging terms.

The reason he was kept on is because he IS popular with the listeners and has a very good audience. So you'll have to remain disappointed. :p

No, I actually meant 'we', the people who enjoy listening to her. It is passing strange that you don't read the LBC thread given your listening habits.
    I remain deeply disappointed that they still pay the fool.
    Feel free to contribute to my worst broadcasters on LBC thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    calais wrote: »
    Alison Bell is superb, a good listen. I always listen; unlike to Jenny Eclair, possibly the worst broadcaster ever on lbc (now there's a poll you could run, I think I'll start that thread).

Blimey - horses for courses eh? I can't listen to AB, she makes me grind my teeth .. nails, blackboard anyone. Jenny Eclair, however, I could listen to all day long - her and/or Carol McGiffin.

Having read the long LBC thread (being quite new here and all that) it seems I dislike the 'popular' presenters, and like the unpopular ones .. ie I'm not a huge fan of Steve Allen, Nick Abbott or Clive Bull, but like Paul Ross, JE, CMcG and Iain Lee.

I obviously like the dumbed down version of LBC :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem seems to be that the LBC management are now deciding the agenda for the day, and some of the presenters handle it better than others.

Only today, James O'Brian wasted 90 seconds of his show asking Alison Bell what was coming up, and we were told that one of her lead subjects was something James had already been talking about for some time; she then proceeded to cover the subject in an inferior fashion.

I realise that talk show presenters need to provoke comment, otherwise the show wouldnt work, but if you're doing that kind of show, at least make sure you can put up a reasonable argument, not just cut people off or go on to agree with a listener that puts the opposite view with the one that you started off the debate with, thereby undermining your original point.

Alison Bell is a bad talk show presenter, unless it involves men, sex or booze, she doesn't have a credible position, and I'm not convinced about the other three either.
  • Options
    Tc7Tc7 Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Jenny Eclair as a stand-up but find her hard to listen to on LBC.

Her content is just too about her "in crowd" - ie showbizzy backstage lovey-dovey stuff.

Are you talking about Steve Allen there?!!

lol

Tc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just catching up with Steve Allen's Saturday show and she said that Alison Bell was here until Xmas....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I sometimes listen to Nick Ferrari but lately he is awful. I work from home so have the radio on in the background, everytime Nick talks to an American caller or even mention America he seems to take on this faux accent and acts very odd. Coupled with the constant interrupting of callers when they are trying to tell a story and the odd hyper behaviour he seems to have aquired I switch off and listen to anything else. (And that BULLION and MULLION thingm is incredibly tedious and old hat now).

James O'brien is okay and can be very funny.

Steve Allen IS quite funny but their are only so many times you can mention Charlotte Churchs backside isn't there? He seems not to like women very much or is it just me?

Paul Ross I like, he comes across as very intelligent and at least he is a bit of light relief at the end of the day.

Alison Bell good God do they pay this woman? I was hoping she was only filling in but no. She another one that seems hyper and childish.

I have listened to LBC on and off for years and the powers to be seem to be scrambling to find something to fill the afternoon shows. Sandi Toksvig was very good and I enjoyed listening to her and her many guests. What happened to her did she leave of her own accord?