Have psychics ever predicted anything correctly (9/11 etc)?

Comments

• The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    khakidrill wrote: »

It is one to watch. I'd be interested to know what happens there.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    floopy123 wrote: »
    There was a guy who claimed he predicted the 9:11 event. He was on a tv show. I think he saw it in a dream and he drew his vision (I think, my memory is a bit hazy on this as the show was a few years ago).

I do recall he predicted an air disaster at London's City Aiport which thankfully hasn't happened. I can't remember what year he predicted it to happen. Personally, I think he was a fraud or deluded! :D

I would never use one because if bad stuf is going to happen I don't want to know. I recall many many years ago a family friend was told to watch out for her son, she thought it was her teen not her 6 year old. A few weeks later he was killed in a car accident. It could be a coincidence, but I certainly wouldn't want to know.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    If someone were genuinely psychic and could predict the future - one of them would do the lottery and win a big amount. I think the temptation would be too great. ;)
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    philkent wrote: »
    Yes thank you I tried that and it still isn't working.

I'll try and find it on the jrf myself.

Google search "Chris Robinson JREF" you'll find it ;)

2nd result on first page.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone were genuinely psychic and could predict the future - one of them would do the lottery and win a big amount. I think the temptation would be too great. ;)

And that's the bottom line isn;t it?

If the 'messages' are too vague, elliptical or symbolic to be directly translated into hard facts and action - they're worthless anyway, eh?

If they're really spot on and brilliant - then why not apply it to the Grand National?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regards to a post by bollywood which I cant find on this thread atm, no psychic predicted 9/11-at least not before the event!!
    HEre is example of what i would class as a prediction of 9/11.

"2 planes will strike WTC 11th of september 2001,terrorism involved."

Anything else involving dogs dressed as terrorists is fail. ;)
  • charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    It is one to watch. I'd be interested to know what happens there.
    I'm still very cynical.

The 'psychic' has either found the missing son and knows for a fact he is living in Cork, working as an HGV driver, and living with Susannah - or she has genuine psychic abilities and just knows.

If it's neither of those two options, then she's a heartless con-artist, giving hope to a grieving woman. I wonder if the mother has paid for her sessions?
  • charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't that happen in The Time Traveller's Wife? He went forward in time, got the numbers, then came back and won a ton of cash for his family.

Oh, hang on a minute, that was a work of fiction.:D:D:D
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still very cynical.

The 'psychic' has either found the missing son and knows for a fact he is living in Cork, working as an HGV driver, and living with Susannah - or she has genuine psychic abilities and just knows.

If it's neither of those two options, then she's a heartless con-artist, giving hope to a grieving woman. I wonder if the mother has paid for her sessions?

The problem with all crimes is that they have two features in common.

1. They have happened

2. Someone knows who committed them.

Thus they can never in any way validate psychic powers.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benry_Gale wrote: »
    Nostradamus is probably the most famous case, and his predictions coming true is down to the fact that 1) They're vague as hell, and 2) He made so many that some had to come true eventually. Nobody talks about the countless people who predict things wrongly, we only ever hear about the correct predictions.

And there's a strong possibility that some of his predictions were made posthumously by other people.

EDIT: Oops, sorry! I really should have read post #58 before leaping in with both feet. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    In any controlled test I've seen the psychic usually does less than chance.

I recall a science fiction story in which a character was proved to have psychic abilities because he (or she?) not only finished with a score that was less than chance, but statistically less than chance - thereby proving that they really did know the answers but were deliberately giving the wrong answer to conceal this.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I recall a science fiction story in which a character was proved to have psychic abilities because he (or she?) not only finished with a score that was less than chance, but statistically less than chance - thereby proving that they really did know the answers but were deliberately giving the wrong answer to conceal this.

"The Power" by Frank M Robinson?

"Pyramids" by Terry Pratchett? One character had a legacy from a relative, but only while he was a student. So the character kept failing his exams. But the relative wasn't stupid - the pass mark was 85%, and he had to score at least 80%; so he had to really know his stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    "The Power" by Frank M Robinson?

I don't think so (of course I could be wrong - stranger things have happened ;) ) I just had a quick look at "The Power"'s summary on Wikipedia and I can't say it rang any bells.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    "Pyramids" by Terry Pratchett? One character had a legacy from a relative, but only while he was a student. So the character kept failing his exams. But the relative wasn't stupid - the pass mark was 85%, and he had to score at least 80%; so he had to really know his stuff.

It's really not my day for remembering novels ... if you hadn't said "Pyramids" I'd have opted for "Moving Pictures" as the Discworld novel in question (with echoes of a character played by Kenneth More in "Doctor in the House")
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I dunno about 'creative'. From what I've seen mediums are only 'creative' about attention s eking/publicity hunting - and money.

I don't think there is a higher part of the brain that only functions in some people, or genuinely, provably creative people like writers and artists would all be psychic. And if you have any creative drive you're not wasting your time on drivel.

I think they may be damaged people, in some cases and simple sharks in others.

But by repeating that whole 'creative' myth you're perpetuating the stuff that massages mediums' egos and makes them think they're functioning on a higher plane (or claim they are). Which in turn lets them continue to milk grieving people for money.

And it's offensive to genuinely creative people, who have integrity.

I do wonder if finding yourself to be a medium isn't also the last resort of someone who has failed in life - and, a bit like politics, 'show biz for the ugly'.

You are talking about mediums as if all psychics are mediums, but that's not the case. My post was about precognition, not mediums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    You are talking about mediums as if all psychics are mediums, but that's not the case. My post was about precognition, not mediums.

Do give us some factual proven examples of precognition. The Minority Report doesn't count.:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    a very interesting study, if true....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4qGfNViVN8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I'm STILL waiting to read the headline "Physic Wins Lottery". :D
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the massive give away the actual word "Claim"?

Claim: An unsubstantiated statement.

Why have any "claims" at all? If someone can foretell the future then they can make a statement that next Tuesday at 11:32am XXXXX is going to happen. When this unlikely thing happens and the same person repeats this feat with 100% accuracy time and time again, we will be able to say that yes, some people can foretell the future and in particular this person should be listened to.

Why is it (Rhetorical) that all this paranormal stuff ALWAYS requires vague nonsense that can later be twisted into maybe vaguely fitting something else?

Like religion, the only people who buy this rubbish are people desperate for it in the first place. They refuse to accept real world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I*edit*

Like religion, the only people who buy this rubbish are people desperate for it in the first place. They refuse to accept real world.

Read:mostly women.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wonder if at the mediums christmas party all the mediums gather together and all have a cackle at the yarns they pull. or look at each other and think your a fraud and a fake!
    Q-have any of the passed over mediums ever come back and given a message??!!!!!

isnt it about time someone exposed these conmerchants for the frauds they are.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    isnt it about time someone exposed these conmerchants for the frauds they are.
    That's the thing, though. Everyone knows they're fraudsters, except the people so desperate to believe, that no amount of evidence (not to mention common sense) will dissuade them.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with all crimes is that they have two features in common.

1. They have happened

2. Someone knows who committed them.

Thus they can never in any way validate psychic powers.

It still leaves room for an explanation of how some (not all, as we know) persons who are not the perpertrator, and do not know the perpetrator, can give police sufficient details of crimes sufficient for them to solve them. Maybe if we stopped using the word 'paranormal' it would take the stigma away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the massive give away the actual word "Claim"?

Claim: An unsubstantiated statement.

Why have any "claims" at all? If someone can foretell the future then they can make a statement that next Tuesday at 11:32am XXXXX is going to happen. When this unlikely thing happens and the same person repeats this feat with 100% accuracy time and time again, we will be able to say that yes, some people can foretell the future and in particular this person should be listened to.

Because it just doesn't work like that. It's often fleeting, random and intuitive. Which is why I'm suspicious of many grand claims and predictions but why I take the smaller everyday anecdotes as more convincing. Yes it's not ideal but that's how it is, dismiss it or accept some people want to look into it further.

I'm sure if we turned the spotlight on many people we'd find coping mechanisms for the real world that are equally, if not more, damaging to themselves and those around them.
    Keelboots wrote: »
    Read:mostly women.:)
    Not true. Many men are interested too, especially at the research end of things. Probably more. But even so why would it make any difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    It still leaves room for an explanation of how some (not all, as we know) persons who are not the perpertrator, and do not know the perpetrator, can give police sufficient details of crimes sufficient for them to solve them. Maybe if we stopped using the word 'paranormal' it would take the stigma away.

Why don't we all just come to our senses and stop thinking that there is something, anything in this rubbish?

It's always anything but do that isn't it?

Never actually come up with repeatable cold hard fact about its existance and do everything to dodge the bullets at all cost.

Why is it that some have to believe in complete rubbish like this and that no amount of telling them the facts ever gets through to them?

I bet the reply starts with "Ah BUT....." and carries on in complete ignorance forever :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    philkent wrote: »
    Because it just doesn't work like that.

What a bloody surprise! :rolleyes:

It works like however they want to make up at the time doesn't it?

Nothing but copouts and pathetic copouts all the time due to there being nothing else they can come up with.