Options

Broken Top Brake Light

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
Forum Member
I was checking my brake lights and noticed the strip of LED brake lights along the top of the back window isn't working. The regular brake lights are working fine though.

The car is new and under warranty so will be taking it to Ford dealer to get it fixed, but was just wondering on the legalities. Ideally I would want to take it to get fixed after christmas is over if I can, but not obviously if it involves driving around illegally.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like the MOT, I suspect you'd be OK if you were taking it to a pre-arranged appointment.

Can't confirm that though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the MOT if it's connected it must work, it can just be disconnected though.

It is not an offence to drive without one so you will be OK until after the Christmas break.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    For the MOT if it's connected it must work, it can just be disconnected though.

It is not an offence to drive without one so you will be OK until after the Christmas break.

I think you'll find that if it's 'FITTED' it must work.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find these a pain in the arse--I would happily leave it off ( perfectly legal for the M.O.T. ) and use the cars normal brake lamps in the rear lenses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it's not a legal requirement. If it's connected it must work.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proper situation is this....for mot purposes....

Vehicles first used on or after 1st January 1971 must be fitted with two obligatory stop lamps.

Additional stop lamps fitted and connected must be tested.

Where extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter.

This is from the mot testers manual.

To me, this means that you could say that you aren't sure if the other stop lamp is connected and be given the benefit of doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm happy to use it during christmas now. Lets hope a print off of Digital Spy is good enough for the police if I'm pulled over!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »

Vehicles first used on or after 1st January 1971 must be fitted with two obligatory stop lamps.

Where extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter.

To me, this means that you could say that you aren't sure if the other stop lamp is connected and be given the benefit of doubt.

Yes, just tell the tester it's disconnected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm happy to use it during christmas now. Lets hope a print off of Digital Spy is good enough for the police if I'm pulled over!! :D

You won't be stopped as the legally required 2 stop lights are working.

I think they are more interested in drink drivers this time of the year:), if they can manage in this weather.
  • Options
    kelvokelvo Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure there are some oddities in there, particularly with rear fog lamps - if there are two fitted then at least the offside one must work? A near side not being mandatory - a single fog lamp must be either central or on the offside. I know some car manufacturers have clusters with two fog lamp apertures but only a bulb in the o/side one :confused:

Reverse lamps and front fogs are not MOT testable though.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ditto - if fitted I must be in workng order.
    The same rule goes for rear seat belts. Old cars dont have them, and if not fitted there is no law to say you have to get them retro fitted,
    But if they are there, they must be in working order.

By the way, modern - high intensity brake lights are LED based - so you cant simply replace a bulb - you need a whole new board fitted. Not sure, but sounds costly (never had one failed myself - they should last far better than regular bulbs).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some oddities in there, particularly with rear fog lamps - if there are two fitted then at least the offside one must work? A near side not being mandatory - a single fog lamp must be either central or on the offside. I know some car manufacturers have clusters with two fog lamp apertures but only a bulb in the o/side one :confused:

We aren't talking about rear fog lights but you only need to have the offside (right hand) one working.
    You are correct about reverse lamps and front fog lamps.

To eliminate confusion....http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000001.htm
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »

As of yet.
    Give it time, as sure as chickens lay eggs those bureaucratic European buffoons in Brussels will put a stop to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As of yet.
    Give it time, as sure as chickens lay eggs those bureaucratic European buffoons in Brussels will put a stop to that.

The mot test is going to get tougher in 2012, lots of new regs and testable items....they are still under discussion as I understand it.
  • Options
    kelvokelvo Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We aren't talking about rear fog lights but you only need to have the offside (right hand) one working.
    You are correct about reverse lamps and front fog lamps.

To eliminate confusion....http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000001.htm

A useful link, thanks.

A lot of cars have the third brake light with lots of small bulbs or LEDs, so interpretting this it would still pass with some of the lamps out and the high level is an 'additional lamp'. The OP said it's a new car so it wouldn't be testable for 3 years anyway, but I suppose if you got an awkward copper he might pull you over for it not working :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    By the way, modern - high intensity brake lights are LED based - so you cant simply replace a bulb - you need a whole new board fitted. Not sure, but sounds costly (never had one failed myself - they should last far better than regular bulbs).

I don't think the LED's are broken, the chances are it has just become disconnected in some way. Only I don't know the first thing about car mechanics so haven't attempted to find out what's wrong with it. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    ditto - if fitted I must be in workng order.
    The same rule goes for rear seat belts. Old cars dont have them, and if not fitted there is no law to say you have to get them retro fitted,
    But if they are there, they must be in working order.

I've answered this so has another poster. It's not a legal requirement so if it's not working it doesn't matter.

But hey ho if that's what you believe, even wrongly, that's OK.