Sciatic Pain

gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
Forum Member
✭✭
I am suffering from sciatica, my second bout since September. :( The first one lasted 10 weeks, and then I was free of pain for a month.

I went to the doctor when it first started and got diclofenac which I alternate with paracetamol. The pain is still excrutiating, especially at night. I'm also taking arsen alb, a natural remedy, but nothing is helping with the shooting pains down my leg when I lay down. I've also tried stick on heat pads.

Does anyone have any ideas please? My next step at the docs is to wait for an MRI scan, which will take several weeks. Any remedies, old wives or other, would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I am suffering from sciatica, my second bout since September. :( The first one lasted 10 weeks, and then I was free of pain for a month.

I went to the doctor when it first started and got diclofenac which I alternate with paracetamol. The pain is still excrutiating, especially at night. I'm also taking arsen alb, a natural remedy, but nothing is helping with the shooting pains down my leg when I lay down. I've also tried stick on heat pads.

Does anyone have any ideas please? My next step at the docs is to wait for an MRI scan, which will take several weeks. Any remedies, old wives or other, would be greatly appreciated!
    When lying down, put a cushion or pillow under your knees. This raises them and also straightens the spine.I used to do this when lying on the floor as well as in bed.Try plain old Aspirin. It is also an anti-inflammatory.
    Good luck its a miserable type of pain.

Pete
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with jonesyboy. You probably wont want to lie on the floor all night but a firm mattress is a must. Sadly, I believe if you have sciatica once, it's likely to recur time and again.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a bit of a battle I got my GP to refer me to a physiotherapist, who recommended lumbar support cushions in the chair at home and in the car, and it helped a lot.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you everyone.

I'll try the pillow tonight, anything to get some decent sleep! I'm hobbling about today, what a pain in the bum :p And I'll go back to the docs in the New Year to see what they can do to help more
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Thank you everyone.

I'll try the pillow tonight, anything to get some decent sleep! I'm hobbling about today, what a pain in the bum :p And I'll go back to the docs in the New Year to see what they can do to help more

To take the pillow thing further. After my operation, the physiotherapist told me to try lying on my side, with a pillow between the knees. This also straightens the spine out. I also had a pillow pushed against my back.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An osteopath fixed a similar problem with my back. It was excruciatingly painful. He gave me daily exercises to do and I have hardly any problems now. If you live in Cheshire, I recommend this one.
    http://www.osteopathsuk.com
    (I'm not on commission!)
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had that in 2007, really bad back pain and into my leg, left me with a numb area that stretched right down to my right big toe, the backache has long gone but I still have the numbness in my leg and toe. The doctor says I should have got treatment sooner. I'm currently waiting for an exploratory operation on my back to see if a nerve is trapped, but it won't be untill spring.
    Moral is, dont try and 'tough it out', go to the doctor as soon as it starts (as the OP has wisely done.)
    I found the best pain relief was codeine. But ask your doctor first if you want to try codeine as it doesnt suit everyone.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently suffering through my second bout of sciatica, and its even more painful than the last, last time was in March, can't remember all the tablets I got, but I know I got diazepam to relaz the muscles. I couldn't get an appointment for the doctors this time but I am hoping that all the painkillers I am taking will stop it being sore, I'm not hobbling as much now, but its still a nit sore.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quick update.

I rang the doctor's this morning, expecting to get an appointment in the New Year. They offered me one at 9:30 today!

The doc agrees I have nasty sciatica, and he's given me Tramadol and diazepam. I may be zonked out for Christmas, but at least it (hopefully) won't be as painful.

Martin, I will check out those osteopaths after Christmas, thank you. Nutty, I hope you get well soon too.

Thanks again everyone, and Merry Christmas :)
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you can do, there is a pressure point on your back that if you press it (pretty hard) you numb the nerve that goes down your back and into your leg. it's just in the small of your back, like either side of your spine at the top of your buttcheeks.
    It feels pretty good actually. Here.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife suffered terrible sciatic pain down her left buttock and right down the left leg during the later stages of all three pregnancies. The doctors said it was due to the extra weight.

I reckon they were right as the pain went almost immediately after giving birth on each occasion.

Not saying you're overweight gilly but just chucking a bit of personal experience into the mix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also worth asking your dr to refer you for physiotherapy sessions, they can use ultrasound to reduce inflammation and give you some exercises aswell. I did this after a double discectomy and use them when I get the ocassional inflammation in my back ( no more sciatica tho!! )
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Diazepam, me. :)
    It saw me through a painful week until I could get to the osteopath. Haven't touched the stuff since. I suspect it's very addictive so wean yourself off it ASAP.