Options

For me the nadir of the Newman era was...

broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
Forum Member
✭✭
The wrecking of Ians restaurant by Bianca, Jean and Shirley..

....and them getting away with it....:mad::mad::mad:

What were the producer, storyliners and writers thinking? It used to be that actions had consequences. Ronnie went to jail, Yusef burnt alive. Why should these three get away with thousands of pounds of intentional damage?

And it was intentional damage. They did it with shouts of "he had it coming" and "it dont matter, its Beale". That fire could have spread and the whole street could have burnt down.

No remorse, just concern for their own cowardly backsides. Pressurising old mad Jean into keeping schtum. Have the writers lost all sense of justice?

And when they are found out. No repercussions. Bianca snivelling "I could go to jail, wot about my kids" gave her a sense of entitlement that means she can get away with anything.

Lets hope the new producers gives some justice to characters in storylines. Not entitlement.

Comments

• Options
    thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything that this post says. Bianca complaining about going to prison. Well, if you don't keep commiting crimes, than you won't go to prison :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its because the writers are presenting Ian Beale as 'the bad guy' when he isn't. Its all down to the fact that all characters and writing are no longer written with depth. The TPTB picked up on Ian 'bad side' and ignored the fact that he is actually a good man with many flaws. The writing is no longer as complex and as 3 dimensional as it once was
  • Options
    EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated that they portrayed Ian, and even Denise, as the bad guys in the story! :mad:
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Ronnie stole a baby and Yusuf physically and sexually abused his wife. Bianca, Shirley and Jean drank a lot of booze and accidentally set a fire.

I think a lot of people are latching on to that incident because they dislike Shirley and Bianca, and want some justification as to why the karmic laws of soap should remove those two characters from the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEforest wrote: »
    I hated that they portrayed Ian, and even Denise, as the bad guys in the story! :mad:

I don't like Denise with Ian full stop
  • Options
    sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    Ronnie stole a baby and Yusuf physically and sexually abused his wife. Bianca, Shirley and Jean drank a lot of booze and accidentally set a fire.

I think a lot of people are latching on to that incident because they dislike Shirley and Bianca, and want some justification as to why the karmic laws of soap should remove those two characters from the show.

They done thousands of pounds worth of damage, are you saying it's ok because worse things happen?

I think people are more concerned about the message that it's ok to do what you like against perceived "bad" people.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What really got me in this storyline was Bianca - as usual - playing the woe is me card and getting people to cover up so she didn't go back to prison. How we are supposed to feel any sympathy for the character at all the way she's written at the moment is beyond me.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't matter what teh crime was - a crime is a crime. A hard working man has lost out whilst three spongers get away with it
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    sbugg wrote: »
    They done thousands of pounds worth of damage, are you saying it's ok because worse things happen?

I think people are more concerned about the message that it's ok to do what you like against perceived "bad" people.

I didn't say Ian was a bad person. I also didn't say that what they did was ok. Not one time during that story did I look at Ian as though he was the bad guy or that he was in the wrong. I also thought Denise came out of it looking very well.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her whole reign was a nadir.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its the message it sends out. You can cause thousands
    Of pounds worth of damage and geitt away with it because he had it coming.

A crime was committed. Are you saying that is ok?

The moral compass is screwy
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the low point was the snake, the vicar and the prostitute. Like a bad 70s sitcom.

However I agree with the OP's point - EastEnders' moral compass has been skewed for a long time. Several characters have acted in appalling ways and yet are portrayed in a sympathetic light: Kat with her cheating, Ronnie and her baby-stealing, Whitney and her non-stop bed hopping (I still haven't forgotten her disgraceful treatment of Fatboy, yet they wanted us to be happy she dumped him for Tyler!), Ben and his murdering; the list goes on. Stacey just swanned out of Walford after committing a murder, and I also hated the way Jean was emotionally blackmailed into admitting benefit fraud to cover for Mo :mad: And of course, the perpetual victim (and convicted criminal) Bianca. If you don't like prison love, stop committing crimes.

EastEnders needs to address this. At present, the message is: behave like a criminal, and you will get away with it.
  • Options
    sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jean was the only who felt bad about it. It was Shirley who caused the fire herself. However, Bianca and Jean shouldn't have broken in anyway.
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three things I think for me i found awful during her time -
    The Lola story.
    The B&B- everybody lives there forever and not one of them could really afford it.
    The treatment of Jean - a lady who can really act just turned into some caricature.

Then just probably her overall direction and lack of plots! She was really quite poor.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member

Ian's stole £10,000 that was his punishment, and it was an accident. Jean had a key so no breaking in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole scope of EastEnders is skewed; not just it's moral code, but it's actual ethos as a show. I think, in the show's entire history it has never lacked such direction as it has in the last few months. Think about this; shortly this time last year, Shirley was grieving for her best friend - whom she mistreated - Heather. A life-changing experience happened shortly after that, when she in essence found out her whole life was a lie and that those who she had trusted, loved and supported in her time of grief had lied to her; letting her even point the finger at innocent people.

A year on, and literally nothing has happened to Shirley. Nothing noteworthy anyway. Her character has not progressed; but rather has become a sorry mess. There was something very ironic about her blackmailing Jean to keep schtum, along with Bianca. It was the exact same thing Phil did to Jay, in Heather murder - and yet Shirley, who a year previous to this was Walford's moral crusader on the hunt for whole her Hev' was acting almost as amoral as the man whom she despises. Shirley, getting pissed 'smelling' etc, even having Phil pitying her - is in the gutter. Rather than having Shirley evolve as a character, EastEnders has simply neglected her; letting her become more redundant as time goes on.

I agree completely they've turned Ian into some sort of panto-style villain; that is the depth of writing in the show these days. Ian, is not even enemy no.1 in the Restaurant saga, he's also that in the on-going storyline regarding his businesses. How EE producers are even figuring that a girl who conned her dad out of his businesses while he was mentally ill, is somehow in the right, and how we should back her and Janine is beyond me. Lucy has no right to take away her father's livelihood; and if she is smart enough to run a business she is smart enough to know that she didn't have to carry the burden of her dad's businesses. There are real contradictions in Lucy's thinking that stinks of poor writing more than anything else.

Storylines also feel poorly structured. There was a thread on DTC and Danielle storyline - and regardless of whether you agreed with the end or not storylines like that felt like they had a structure; like they had some sort of connection to a character's arc. That there was a beginning - a middle, and a conclusion. These days storylines lack that structure - they sort of drag long in a circle of repetitiveness; the same events happening in different ways. A prime example of this are Michael and Janine; and how poor writing has dogged down a once really interesting pair. The most long-running example of this has to be Kat and Alfie's arc. Since 2010, it has just made little sense from day one. Kat's cheating has no purpose, no end game nothing - in fact we're just stuck with the same old events of Kat degrading herself, and Alfie being Walford's resident doormat. That's set to continue. At least until the 30th anniversary, where I'm sure they'll go through some 'crisis' or whatever. 'We Love You Kat Moon' is, IMHO Newman's nadir.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what teh crime was - a crime is a crime. A hard working man has lost out whilst three spongers get away with it

bib: The line always given in order to defend Ian.

That's as may be, but as he is such an obnoxious git, I still have no sympathy for him, even though Bianca, Shirley and Jean were out of order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's as may be, but as he is such an obnoxious git, I still have no sympathy for him, even though Bianca, Shirley and Jean were out of order.

Since when is being an obnoxious git an excuse to wreck his restaurant?
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I guess Ian's a git because he hates seeing the tax he pays going on the likes of Bianca and Shirl!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't blame Newman for allowing characters to get away with doing bad things. The first time was way back when Nick Cotton murdered Reg Cox, he got away with it. Back then, EE mainly punished all wrong. For me, it started with Max's serial cheating and Tanya eventually taking him back. It snowballed from there and when Stacey Branning was seen as a victim and also got away with murder, it became almost common practice for us to be sympathetic towards wrong doers
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member

You should watch Hollyoaks - that show will give you a migraine with the number of characters who get away with committing major crimes. Now that's a show that has a screwy moral compass. But, the majority of fans don't think sending out a bad message will in any way affect viewers.

I do agree with you that it was wrong to show them all getting away with destroying Ian's restaurant. I think at least one of them should have faced some consequences, like Shirley or Bianca. I didn't like how Ian was the bad guy for wanting to call the cops on the people that intentionally set fire to his business. I mean, he was the victim of a crime, how very dare he!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Did Ian not steal money to set up the restaurant they damaged? There were no legal consequences because he chose not to press charges - he is not exactly the model citizen himself. There were other consequences to their actions. Tiffany lost a friend, Whitney lost her job. Jean was wracked with guilt, but Ian eventually forgave her. Sometimes taking legal action isn't the most appropriate thing to do when someone does something wrong. People make mistakes.

I do agree, though, that it's important for soaps to be moral and show that actions have consequences. It's been a big problem on Hollyoaks for years. Not even murder necessarily has a serious consequence on Hollyoaks, there's no sense of justice. I've stopped watching. I found all the crimes and panto villains tedious.