Options

11 Years Ago Today - 'Crazy In Love' Number 1 In The U.S

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
And it still sounds current and amazing today! In fact, all of her music still sounds current in my opinion. Hasn't aged at all.

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I agree, it's a great song and still sounds fresh. The only thing I don't like about it now is that she's changed the (what I consider) great choreography for the last chorus.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce, like Britney, is one of those 'icon'-type popstars who doesnt actually have that huge of a chart success, at least in the US.

In 11 years she's had what - this, Single Ladies and Irreplaceable as #1's?

Yet she seems everywhere to be perceived as an absolute FORCE in pop - Queen B, isn't she? I guess it just shows how far you can go on performance power
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it's 11 years!!! That was a glorious summer and Crazy in Love was the sound of it! She's never topped it IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Beyonce, like Britney, is one of those 'icon'-type popstars who doesnt actually have that huge of a chart success, at least in the US.

In 11 years she's had what - this, Single Ladies and Irreplaceable as #1's?

Yet she seems everywhere to be perceived as an absolute FORCE in pop - Queen B, isn't she? I guess it just shows how far you can go on performance power

I agree with Beyoncé she hasny really had a lot of hits n britney didnt at first especially like her big hits slave n oops but post break down shes done better 3 #1s femme fatale was the best era for chart sucess I think
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    God I am getting ollddddd ! I remember this from my college days. This saddens me yet brings back many happy memories
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She hasn't made a song as good as it since, although Single Ladies comes close. She released better songs when she was in Destiny's Child.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    She hasn't made a song as good as it since, although Single Ladies comes close. She released better songs when she was in Destiny's Child.

Yes Dangerously in love was a sterling album.
    I am bored of her new one already unfortunately :( despite the over hyped hysteria of it on this forum.
  • Options
    playboy69playboy69 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Beyonce is all hype and no substance.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm I have to disagree, I don't think its aged well at all, I couldn't believe it had only been 11 years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but how can snyone say she hasn't had many hits? You may not like her music, but she has a big discography with plenty of hits:

Crazy In Love
    Baby Boy
    Naughty Girl
    Me, Myself and I
    Check On It
    Deja Vu
    Irreplaceable
    Listen
    If I Were A Boy
    Single Ladies
    Halo
    Sweet Dreams
    Best Thing I Never Had
    Love On Top
    Drunk In Love

I could go on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    playboy69 wrote: »
    Beyonce is all hype and no substance.

How is that exactly? Fair enough if you don't like her music, you're entitled to your opinion. Performance wise she wipes the floor with her rivals. You don't get a career spanning 7 years in a girl band and 11 years as a solo artist just by hype.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Hmm I have to disagree, I don't think its aged well at all, I couldn't believe it had only been 11 years!

I don't think it sounds current either and hasn't sounded current for years. It's always felt very "early noughties" to me and I wouldn't have even called it current in say 2008. Of course it's a great song and one that won't be forgotten and will always be Beyoncé's biggest hit.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Probably because 11 years isn't that long :p

The Fallen album by Evanescence is from that year and it still sounds 'current'.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I've always thought that this song was incredibly overrated. She has better songs.
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but how can snyone say she hasn't had many hits? You may not like her music, but she has a big discography with plenty of hits:

Crazy In Love
    Baby Boy
    Naughty Girl
    Me, Myself and I
    Check On It
    Deja Vu
    Irreplaceable
    Listen
    If I Were A Boy
    Single Ladies
    Halo
    Sweet Dreams
    Best Thing I Never Had
    Love On Top
    Drunk In Love

I could go on.

Did you even read what they said? It was said as a positive. And they are right apart from about 3-4 songs, the level of success and impact Beyonce has on the world isn't reflected by her chart positions.

It's not a bad thing - she has incredible performances, tours, and albums which maintain her 'icon' position - everyone knows Beyonce and her music... however you'd think this would mean #1's for every single but that isn't the case..that's all they were highlighting.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    Did you even read what they said? It was said as a positive. And they are right apart from about 3-4 songs, the level of success and impact Beyonce has on the world isn't reflected by her chart positions.

It's not a bad thing - she has incredible performances, tours, and albums which maintain her 'icon' position - everyone knows Beyonce and her music... however you'd think this would mean #1's for every single but that isn't the case..that's all they were highlighting.

Yes I agree and I verge on being a Beyonce 'fanboi' at times. I don't see why it has to be a bad thing. Nobody's calling her a flop. She delivers for me great music and puts on one hell of a show - personally I'd prefer an artist like that who I know I could play through a whole album of and go to their show and love it rather than worrying about bringing out singles that could smash the charts. Testament to that, for me, is her most commercially successful album (Sasha Fierce) being without a doubt her poorest in quality.

But more OT- 11 years!:o Time, please, slow the frig down.:( I do agree that it still sounds fresh today.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I don't think it sounds current either and hasn't sounded current for years. It's always felt very "early noughties" to me and I wouldn't have even called it current in say 2008. Of course it's a great song and one that won't be forgotten and will always be Beyoncé's biggest hit.

Interesting that the main hook is based on a 1970 song and for me the song has always sounded very retro but that doesn't make it bad. The 00s and later have all been very retro. Maybe the rip and mix approach to pop music is what makes stuff 'current'.
    That white reggae single that just made no 1 by Magic sounded like second rate Police by way of No Doubt but I guess it must be 'current'.
    Ænima wrote: »
    Probably because 11 years isn't that long :p

The Fallen album by Evanescence is from that year and it still sounds 'current'.

Perhaps rock music has a greater aesthetic half life.

Sweet7 wrote: »

It's really only a few souls on here who measures influence by record sales.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The worst song ever.