Options

Python Reunion

occyoccy Posts: 65,207
Forum Member
✭✭
Comedy Veterans John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin are expected to announce their plans at a news conference in London on Thursday. Are some of the sketches outdated? Are they returning for financial reasons? It really dosn't matter, but are funny and classic.

http://news.sky.com/story/1170619/monty-pythons-circus-set-to-fly-again

Comments

• Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news, really look forward to see how they go about doing this.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only funny one died !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually excited about this. Don't care if they're doing it for financial reasons, the chance to see the Pythons perform live is enough. I grew up watching them and loving their humour, but was too young to go to any of their performances back then, so I'm hoping there will be a London show and that I'll get a ticket. :)
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this is a good idea. John Cleese hasn't been funny for years.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

I think the only other thing he was funny in was Fawlty Towers.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

Laughable, rather, with his train of much-younger wives who of course married him for his looks and charisma, only for it to unluckily fail repeatedly, and them take him to the cleaners, sending him back out on the circuit to earn bucks.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »

Graham Chapman yes in part i agree.

Though they have some classic sketches so we will see.

Its Monty Python almost Reunion.:D
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I think the only other thing he was funny in was Fawlty Towers.

Nope the dead parrot sketch is a classic.;)
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot reheat a soufflé.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Python is dead!
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much as I enjoyed Python in the 70's, I think it would be best not to see five old men trying to re-live their youth by 1)trying to be funny and 2)pretending to enjoy it. I know Cleese needs the money to pay offhis many wives:D, but the rest of them are pretty comfortable, so why put themselves through this?
    As benjamini said, you cannot re-heat a souffle.

On the other hand, this type of stuff tends to go down well on university campuses as Frankie Howerd discovered in his latter days.
  • Options
    FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm already cringing in preparation for this. Terrible idea. If they try to make new material, they'll all try too hard and it will be strained and uncomfortable. From what I've read, it appears to be purely about the money - that being the case, can't they digitally re-master the Life of Brian and do a cinema re-release or something?

I think this is going to backfire horribly, and spoil what was a great thing in its day. I do hope I'm wrong :(
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Palin is to guest edit Today over the Christmas period and one thing he'll be doing is discussing and defending with John Cleese the debate they had on TV over the Life Of Brian film.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    You cannot reheat a soufflé.

Or return to doing the type of comedy they did in the 70's....today's society is very PC, very touchy about anything regarding religion, disability and of course race :rolleyes:.

Makes you wonder how on earth we manage to laugh at anything these days....:cool:
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder why this is happening. As has been said, Cleese ceased to be funny a long time ago and has made no secret of his doing things purely for financial reasons. It doesn't bode well.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »

Not such a stupid comment, they are all funny, but I think Chapman was essential.
  • Options
    Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    I do wonder why this is happening. As has been said, Cleese ceased to be funny a long time ago and has made no secret of his doing things purely for financial reasons. It doesn't bode well.

According to this it's because they're having to pay legal fees for the case they lost against Mark Forstater. As most of them appear to be living in million pound plus homes, it's not exactly down-on-yer uppers as we would know it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510243/Freddie-Starr-sues-victim-Jimmy-Savile-300-000-Comedian-says-cancer-sufferers-groping-allegation-cost-work.html
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Comedy Veterans John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin are expected to announce their plans at a news conference in London on Thursday. Are some of the sketches outdated? Are they returning for financial reasons? It really dosn't matter, but are funny and classic.

http://news.sky.com/story/1170619/monty-pythons-circus-set-to-fly-again

The one thought that keeps crossing my mind is the old adage: Don't go back. And in my experience, whether it is hooking up with and old girlfriend or whatever, it is, sadly, true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they'd do it again in a few years, in their 80s? Now that really would be something to watch!
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    this is probably a bigger story in the states where they are held in higher regard then in the UK
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    this is probably a bigger story in the states where they are held in higher regard then in the UK

I am very surprised to hear that. In fact I very much doubt it. To us "oldies" they were so utterly refreshing and innovative and different. True many many people did prefer Benny Hill but there is no accounting for taste:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if it will be just their old classics, or if they'll put new stuff in?
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Just announced!

The surviving members of Monty Python to play London's O2 Arena on 1st June. Its their first UK date for 30 years.

Im not sure I will get tickets but a DVD must about for next Christmas...right?

Exciting news anyway!
  • Options
    Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One off show next July.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25031520

All seems a bit desperate to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I like how Jones keeps saying he wants to make a lot of money. At least he's being honest about it.