Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    And I back you up 100% on that, BB.

Despite some not liking it, I will listen to programmes and presenters that I dislike, or that might wind me up, and comment on them as often and for as long as I like. Those that don't like it, skip my posts or put me on ignore.
    So, you are saying if you don't like it then, don't read it?
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    So, you are saying if you don't like it then, don't read it?

I'm saying that I intend to continue posting about Steve Allen or anyone else that I choose to, despite not liking him. So anyone that knows my way of posting and has a problem with it, can avoid my posts by skipping or ignoring.
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why 'sad empty lives' just for commenting or saying that you don't like someone or their view?

In that case, ALL of us on here must have sad empty lives, or we'd be off doing livesaving surgery or inventing the next big thing, instead of having time to comment on anything.

There's a world of difference between commenting on a radio show and listening to a show you can't stand just so you can come on here and tell us all just how much you hated it. And the person I was responding to was also talking about posters who follow presenters they don't like on Twitter. That is very strange. If you don't like someone, why on Earth would you choose to follow them on Twitter?
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I back you up 100% on that, BB.

Despite some not liking it, I will listen to programmes and presenters that I dislike, or that might wind me up, and comment on them as often and for as long as I like. Those that don't like it, skip my posts or put me on ignore.

If I only listened to presenters that I liked on LBC, I'd hardly listen at all. If I'm interested in the topic being discussed I can put up with any presenter, with the exception of Gobber.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew, they've retired Part 29 at last. It staggered on for 688 pages; surely a DS record.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Phew, they've retired Part 29 at last. It staggered on for 688 pages; surely a DS record.

I know. Over 800,000 hits. I've been wondering for ages why it was going so long.

Well done Cayce for being our new thread starter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm saying that I intend to continue posting about Steve Allen or anyone else that I choose to, despite not liking him. So anyone that knows my way of posting and has a problem with it, can avoid my posts by skipping or ignoring.
    You say that, if people don't like your posts then they should "skip or ignore" them; I say that if you don't like Steve Allen or anyone on LBC then don't listen. Very hypocritical of you!
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I know. Over 800,000 hits. I've been wondering for ages why it was going so long.

Well done Cayce for being our new thread starter!

I wish I hadn't been the flying 4x thread starter BB :D. It was all about the depression of that poor pilot. Not exactly an all singing and dancing post. :blush:
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go on then - defend or justify that comment by somebody who expects to be taken seriously as a presenter on a politically neutral media outlet like the BBC.

I don't see anything wrong with the tweet unless you want to bend over backwards to find something for which you can criticise James O'Brien.

You said Paxman wouldn't have tweeted that, well Mr O'Brien wouldn't describe himself as "a one nation Tory" nor would he say the 3 people he admires most in politics are Cameron, Gove and Hammond, as Paxman said. And you think that is more neutral than James O'Brien's comments?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »
    There's a world of difference between commenting on a radio show and listening to a show you can't stand just so you can come on here and tell us all just how much you hated it. And the person I was responding to was also talking about posters who follow presenters they don't like on Twitter. That is very strange. If you don't like someone, why on Earth would you choose to follow them on Twitter?

'He has an individual style that works and pulls in the listeners. He attracts some high quality, thoughtful callers who simply wouldn't be given the time to make their point on a fast moving show like breakfast. The only other slot where he might fit is 1-4pm but if it ain't broke, why try and fix it? As I've said before, when he's good, he's very good. If only he could take a more impartial view, he'd be first class.'

I posted the above about J O'B last week. I don't have any strong personal feelings about him. I listen to his show because it can be very good. And it can be dreadful. This applies, in varing degrees, to all the other shows I listen to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with the tweet unless you want to bend over backwards to find something for which you can criticise James O'Brien.

You said Paxman wouldn't have tweeted that, well Mr O'Brien wouldn't describe himself as "a one nation Tory" nor would he say the 3 people he admires most in politics are Cameron, Gove and Hammond, as Paxman said. And you think that is more neutral than James O'Brien's comments?

Have you a contribution re: O'Brien other than a political one? For instance do you admire the way he ridicules callers that don't agree with him on certain issues aside from political topics? I switch him off when he's in one of those boorish juvenile moods, do you?
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Why 'sad empty lives' just for commenting or saying that you don't like someone or their view?

In that case, ALL of us on here must have sad empty lives, or we'd be off doing lifesaving surgery or inventing the next big thing, instead of having time to comment on anything.

You mean you're not listening to LBC whilst performing brain surgery, like wot I duz? ;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'He has an individual style that works and pulls in the listeners. He attracts some high quality, thoughtful callers who simply wouldn't be given the time to make their point on a fast moving show like breakfast. The only other slot where he might fit is 1-4pm but if it ain't broke, why try and fix it? As I've said before, when he's good, he's very good. If only he could take a more impartial view, he'd be first class.'

I posted the above about J O'B last week. I don't have any strong personal feelings about him. I listen to his show because it can be very good. And it can be dreadful. This applies, in varing degrees, to all the other shows I listen to.

You don't have to defend yourself for having an opinion g-s. You give these people oxygen by justifying yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but Paxman has the ability to put his party loyalties aside when he's doing his job. He savages everybody if he thinks it's justified. His tormenting of Michael Howard is a classic. I've never heard James interview any politician other than those he despises and with whom he disagrees, who all seem to be on the right wing. Let's hope he can bring himself to be equally tough when he has to play devil's advocate and tackle left wing politicians with whom he agrees.

Incidentally, I hope you noticed that LBC's 10pm news bulletin featured a favourable poll result for Labour.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nor would he say the 3 people he admires most in politics are Cameron, Gove and Hammond, as Paxman said.

Have you a link to that please ?
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Yes, but Paxman has the ability to put his party loyalties aside when he's doing his job. He savages everybody if he thinks it's justified. His tormenting of Michael Howard is a classic.

Except that Paxman was much harsher and more personal with Milliband this week than with Cameron, and the Howard interview was about stalling for time, because they had a technical issue elsewhere.

To be honest, and I include myself in this, I think we just don't notice bias nearly as much when we agree with it and vice versa.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has Nick Abbot got a problem with people saying "Hello there"? It seems to irritate him for some reason. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    You don't have to defend yourself for having an opinion g-s. You give these people oxygen by justifying yourself.
    "these people"??

I shouldn't have to justify myself for disagree with most people on the thread.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Cayce wrote: »
    After the media have taken their pickings - it is just really awful to hear on LBC how the girlfriend of Andreas Lubitz said how he needed for people to remember him by crashing a plane and in this case taking 150 lives with him.
    Yes, I hear already the criticism of his girlfriend not reporting him. Possibly she thought her personal input could dissuade from the act he was about to commit.
    He suffered from depression, already this was known by his supervisors before, as he'd had previous episodes documented with regard to his medical history. And yet no one picked up on this man's needs?! How crazy is that?

The late Winston Churchill suffered from severe depression yet he escaped media criticism because his particular dynamics didn't involve taking others with him on a desperate suicide mission.
    I don't think though somehow that Andreas Lubitz should be readily judged by media because, effectively all the warning signs were there in the first place.
    I take on board in expressing a view that, this man needed help and his needs weren't met, against the possible counter reaction of others in possibly seeing this man condemned, or whatever?

Continuation of: LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

I'd say there was something else going on with the pilot and this has all the markings if revenge or getting at someone close to him in some wsy. I think it's clearly some other kind of disorder and not depression that has led to such mass murder. Depression and suicide go together sometimes but this is very different. Unfortunatly there will be a lot of mis reporting and misunderstanding about depression and mental health in general.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Except that Paxman was much harsher and more personal with Milliband this week than with Cameron, and the Howard interview was about stalling for time, because they had a technical issue elsewhere.

To be honest, and I include myself in this, I think we just don't notice bias nearly as much when we agree with it and vice versa.

I know you like pointing out spelling errors with other posters, so please note the name Miliband has but one 'L'. Dear me, as an avid left-winger I thought at least you would have known this. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    I'd say there was something else going on with the pilot and this has all the markings if revenge or getting at someone close to him in some wsy. I think it's clearly some other kind of disorder and not depression that has led to such mass murder. Depression and suicide go together sometimes but this is very different. Unfortunatly there will be a lot of mis reporting and misunderstanding about depression and mental health in general.

A bit off topic - apparently he had been diagnosed with sight problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    Have you a contribution re: O'Brien other than a political one? For instance do you admire the way he ridicules callers that don't agree with him on certain issues aside from political topics? I switch him off when he's in one of those boorish juvenile moods, do you?

I almost never listen to his show any more so I'm not in a position to comment on how he deals with callers, good or bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A bit off topic - apparently he had been diagnosed with sight problems.

He had, yet pulled the sick note and went on flying. One very angry man if depression was also his issue. But who knows with news reporting the truth or bones of it all, 'we' just get snippets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but Paxman has the ability to put his party loyalties aside when he's doing his job. He savages everybody if he thinks it's justified. His tormenting of Michael Howard is a classic. I've never heard James interview any politician other than those he despises and with whom he disagrees, who all seem to be on the right wing. Let's hope he can bring himself to be equally tough when he has to play devil's advocate and tackle left wing politicians with whom he agrees.

Incidentally, I hope you noticed that LBC's 10pm news bulletin featured a favourable poll result for Labour.

James O'Brien is an experienced broadcaster and changes his style according to the requirements of the job. On LBC, like all presenters, he is encouraged to express his own opinions. I don't know for sure but I would guess that Mr O'Brien would be required to be more neutral on his TV show, as he is when he presents Newsnight.

I really wish LBC would only report polls if they give them context, i.e, how they compare with previous polls. In isolation, they really don't tell you much as changes are usually within the margin of error of the poll. However, it does seems as though Ed Miliband's performance on the TV interviews has had a positive impact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "these people"??

I shouldn't have to justify myself for disagree with most people on the thread.

Did I mention your name?
This discussion has been closed.