Options

LBC -Ads driving me mad!

I've listened to LBC for many years and generally loved it.

But since it's become 'Leading Britain's Conversation' I am sure that the advertising time has crept up and up. I suspect that there is now almost 15 minutes of the bloody drivel every hour.

In fact it has always amazed me that advertisers think it's worth their while because what radio ads do is literally INTERRUPT something you're listening to. Unlike print ads, internet ads and even tv ads there is no way to avoid them. Essentially it makes me determined to avoid those products because I object to them endlessly interrupting the programmes.

However, in the case of LBC it's much worse than it used to be. Because when they were a humble local station lots of small advertisers with their varied and sometimes quaint ads could afford to advertise. But not anymore. Haven't people noticed that practically ALL the ads are for giant corporate companies and organisations. They can afford to literally bludgeon people with their inane messages - until you want to scream 'shut the f***k up!'

One example includes the FCA ad involving some git called Stephen calling up to announce that their yields have just exceeded 40%. - over and over and over again!
But worst of all are those bloody car ads that ALWAYS have those idiot short sentences at the end...'Nought percent APR representative. Over 18s only. Deposit of £2204.00 required. Business users only. You will not own the car. Terms and Condition apply...' On and On and On and On!!! Until I want to smash the radio - I now have to actually turn it off. And why do these trendy ad agencies all do short sentences at the end of radio ads? Mainly because it's fashionable and they think it makes their client sound respectable and trustworthy and very BIG...and everybody else is doing it!

I soon will have to find another radio station to shout at.

Comments

• Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LBC ad that really annoys me is the one that tells me I'm stupid because I can remember phone numbers, when the smart thing to do is ring a £3/min premium rate line and they'll look it up for me.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But worst of all are those bloody car ads that ALWAYS have those idiot short sentences at the end...'Nought percent APR representative. Over 18s only. Deposit of £2204.00 required. Business users only. You will not own the car. Terms and Condition apply...' On and On and On and On!!! Until I want to smash the radio - I now have to actually turn it off. And why do these trendy ad agencies all do short sentences at the end of radio ads? at.

Those "idiot short sentences" at the end of car ads are a legal requirement.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Talksport is the same, probably over 50% of their output are adverts, no more than 7 minutes before a break, double breaks around traffic broadcasts as well.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,894
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    The LBC ad that really annoys me is the one that tells me I'm stupid because I can remember phone numbers, when the smart thing to do is ring a £3/min premium rate line and they'll look it up for me.

I'm sure every one of my mates would be more impressed to hear I could recite MY phone book, rather than me be considered an absolute d*** head for calling a £3 look up service!

That ad infuriates me too ;)
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the FCA advert.

But it is on every single break. I've went over to Five Live for a bit, get a break from the station. I enjoy the phone in aspect, but the frequency of adverts is annoying.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    118 434

The LBC presenters must feel like slitting their wrists for hearing that 1000s of times. Maybe the commercial scheduler is a lazy programmer and can't be a***d to refresh it.

There is this wonderful thing called the internet where you can get phone numbers in an instant.
  • Options
    Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ads overnight seem to be the same ones over and over again - I wonder if a lot of them are fillers during the small hours?
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I've listened to LBC for many years and generally loved it.

But since it's become 'Leading Britain's Conversation' I am sure that the advertising time has crept up and up. I suspect that there is now almost 15 minutes of the bloody drivel every hour.

In fact it has always amazed me that advertisers think it's worth their while because what radio ads do is literally INTERRUPT something you're listening to.
    But worst of all are those bloody car ads that ALWAYS have those idiot short sentences at the end...'Nought percent APR representative. Over 18s only. Deposit of £2204.00 required. Business users only. You will not own the car. Terms and Condition apply...' On and On and On and On!!! Until I want to smash the radio - I now have to actually turn it off. And why do these trendy ad agencies all do short sentences at the end of radio ads? Mainly because it's fashionable and they think it makes their client sound respectable and trustworthy and very BIG...and everybody else is doing it!

I soon will have to find another radio station to shout at.

They do not do these by choice but legally they have to. You're stuck with them i'm afraid.
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the advert-free BBC while you have it. I think Mr Cameron wants to reduce it.
    I think the TV licence fee is worth paying so that I can listen to commercial-free radio.

Going slightly off topic, did I hear a Channel 4 advert which claims that C4 is free of charge ? It isn't, of course: every time I buy something from a company which advertises on C4, some of what I pay goes to C4. However, unless I watch every ad on the channel, I wouldn't know which of my purchases are going towards which programmes. With the BBC, on the other hand, it's easy to see what I'm paying for. Sorry to go off topic for a while.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I'm sure every one of my mates would be more impressed to hear I could recite MY phone book, rather than me be considered an absolute d*** head for calling a £3 look up service!

That ad infuriates me too ;)

Totally agree with this.

I'm quite upset that Stephen hasn't rung me yet as I have a bit of spare cash to invest.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pity the Beeb couldnt do something as good without the ads, instead we get Vanessa Feltz.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Those "idiot short sentences" at the end of car ads are a legal requirement.
    Actually that's what they want you to think. I am sure that all they really have to say is 'Terms and Conditions apply - see website for details'. I think I'll check with the ASA, because they certainly never used to have this manic short sentence reading a few years ago. The fact is that, contrary to popular belief, ad agencies are not really about innovation, and are really dedicated followers of fashion. Once upon a time they all ended their ads with something like 'Product Name - you know it makes sense...' or something similarly cryptic. Now it's manic short sentence reading!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Pity the Beeb couldnt do something as good without the ads, instead we get Vanessa Feltz.
    So it's Stephen calling from Z&Y Investments with his 40% yield or Vanessa Feltz bleating on and on. I hate both of them, but which one is worse? There's only one way to find out...(with apologies to Harry Hill)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »

It's not just on LBC that damn ad, and I feel the same. Anyone company that tells me I'm stupid is NOT going to be getting my money . 118 whatever the number is wont be getting it anyway as I can always look it up on line if I'm at home and if I'm out and about I'll briefly enable my mobile network and use my free allowance, if I'm not in a free wi-fi zone.
    Will not cost me a penny.

That damn 'delivery' ad for some pay to bid website is damn annoying too.

Thank God for BBC radio, while we still have it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    118 434

The LBC presenters must feel like slitting their wrists for hearing that 1000s of times. Maybe the commercial scheduler is a lazy programmer and can't be a***d to refresh it.

There is this wonderful thing called the internet where you can get phone numbers in an instant.

Maybe because the company that owns LBC owns 118 434 http://uk.trademarkdirect.co.uk/118-434-why-pay-more-2515351
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    N.Dean wrote: »
    Enjoy the advert-free BBC while you have it. I think Mr Cameron wants to reduce it.
    I think the TV licence fee is worth paying so that I can listen to commercial-free radio.

Going slightly off topic, did I hear a Channel 4 advert which claims that C4 is free of charge ? It isn't, of course: every time I buy something from a company which advertises on C4, some of what I pay goes to C4. However, unless I watch every ad on the channel, I wouldn't know which of my purchases are going towards which programmes. With the BBC, on the other hand, it's easy to see what I'm paying for. Sorry to go off topic for a while.

The BBC is not ad free, they play endless plugs for shows, rehash screaming halfwits doing football commentary and other interruptions.
  • Options
    the first Booksthe first Books Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posted by Radiogram

"Those "idiot short sentences" at the end of car ads are a legal requirement."

versus

Posted by Malcolm_Strette

"Actually that's what they want you to think. I am sure that all they really have to say is 'Terms and Conditions apply - see website for details'. "

Radiogram is far nearer truth on this than Malcolm_Strette.

As I understand it, If an advertisement, published in any medium, contains a certain level of reference to the availability of credit to achieve full purchase of an item, car or otherwise, or acquire use of that item by way of a lease agreement.... certain further specified information must, by law, be included, self contained, in that advertisement. It is not sufficient,in law, to simply refer the respondent to another method of acquiring that specified information.

But I stress must be present. I am not aware that there was or is any "law" that governs where or how that information has to be portrayed.

The regulation, issued under a statute, that brought this into force dates back to early 1980's.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Haven't used directory enquiries since they took away the BT monopoly and have no intention of ever using it again. Its a rip off service nowadays.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is precisely why I've almost completely stopped listening to LBC. I will only bother with Nick Abbot this weekend.

That incessant Nationwide advert a few weeks back drove me to the brink of insanity.
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always record the shows, even easier now it's on freeview then you could chase play and skip the ads. You might be half an hour behind but at least you just listen to what you want to hear.
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that b woman with her "Fyer kills" message is back again sounding just as bored as ever. Just pray they don't revive her "connected to" song.
  • Options
    Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The woman that does the 118 ad, the British Gas one, and the fire kills one; is she one and the same?

Horrible voice.

And why does she speak through her nose?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    At least they've stopped running the ads for Gallard homes.
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go over to 5 Live on the hour and time the news/sport/BBC ads jingles before you get back to the programming...A good seven padded out minutes. Also any excuse to play a clip from a previous programme .>:(

At least LBC live in the real commercial world a place the BBC fear.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    I noticed that b woman with her "Fyer kills" message is back again sounding just as bored as ever. Just pray they don't revive her "connected to" song.

When it gets to the "and the socket was connected to a..." line, I always blurt out "fuse box?"