LBC -Ads driving me mad!

2»

Comments

• mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Go over to 5 Live on the hour and time the news/sport/BBC ads jingles before you get back to the programming...A good seven padded out minutes. Also any excuse to play a clip from a previous programme .>:(

At least LBC live in the real commercial world a place the BBC fear.

I don't think they fear it, they're the most popular broadcaster after all, the commercial sector want the BBC downsized in case they are forced to take advertising.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Mum! There are penguins in my room!"

GOOD! Put a friggin' jumper on, you ungrateful urchin!

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the 118 ads baffling and irritating in equal measure.

No, people WERE NOT impressed by your ability to remember long lists of numbers in the days "before smartphones"! Most people knew a handful, but the rest were written in a phone book or looked up in a phone directory. Jeeez. It wasn't rocket science.

Oh, and the cringe-worthy attempts at acting by Ferrari and Dale on the ads plugging the LBC books...let's not go there.
  • Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one that 's cringeworthy is the Volvo ad where the guy thinks he's Jeremy Clarkson. A very piss-poor impression.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just heard two ads back to back for the LBC presenters new books JOB "Loathe thy neighbour" and Nick Ferrari's book about "Politics but not as we know it"

Whoever thought it would be good for such literary geniuses such as the LBC presenters to write books ought to be fired.;-)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The worst is the 'have I got PPI.com' jingle - so annoying.

Then you have that estate agent ad Cuthbert Dibble and Grub (forgotten the exact name) with the triumphalist music with the ad implying they are going to send in the heavies to make sure your tenants pay their rent on time.

And then the awful TFL traffic ad - with that annoying idiot wanting to be back in time for bath time.

Is there any reason they have to be so irritating?:D
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The worst is the 'have I got PPI.com' jingle - so annoying.

Heheh - to be fair, it is in the honourable tradition of annoyingly catchy musical jingles. It's just a shame that it's advertising such a stupid product.

I find it helps to substitute "Have I got PPI?" with "Am I a Fu****g Moron?" :)
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Zibby i dont want a set of your Harley St falsies !!
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    rhod wrote: »
    I find it helps to substitute "Have I got PPI?" with "Am I a Fu****g Moron?" :)

That is so unfair, I shall be singing that from now on! :)

It is a perfect fit.
  • Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use software to record the programs I want on my laptop (like a PVR) - then i skip the ads / filler etc every quarter hour.

I get through a 60 minute show in 34 minutes when u just listen to the content.

I have no patience for ads -- lifes too short.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the Trebor mint ads..........:)
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie6767 wrote: »
    I use software to record the programs I want on my laptop (like a PVR) - then i skip the ads / filler etc every quarter hour.

I get through a 60 minute show in 34 minutes when u just listen to the content.

I have no patience for ads -- lifes too short.
    Out of interest what software do you use? Im using net transport, I can't remember the last time I listened to an LBC show I like live.

Like you I'm not interested in the ads, so I just skip them.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go over to 5 Live on the hour and time the news/sport/BBC ads jingles before you get back to the programming...A good seven padded out minutes. Also any excuse to play a clip from a previous programme .>:(

At least LBC live in the real commercial world a place the BBC fear.

Lets be fair Harry, of that "seven" minutes (which is usually no more than 6) you get 3 - 3 1/2 mins of news, a minute of Sport, weather, travel and a trail (not an advert) that is between 30 and 40 seconds followed by a 10 second ID. So of the whole sequence including a presenter led preview of the next hour only 50 seconds are what you may call 'non-live' content. Compare that to actual ad breaks on other stations and there really isn't a comparison. :cool:
  • Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest what software do you use? Im using net transport, I can't remember the last time I listened to an LBC show I like live.

Like you I'm not interested in the ads, so I just skip them.

Rarma Radio.

If you use version 2.68 or earlier the Scheduling functionality is available. Later versions you have to pay for this.

Use it daily - outputs MP3 files in 60 minute chunks (as I have set)
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie6767 wrote: »
    Rarma Radio.

If you use version 2.68 or earlier the Scheduling functionality is available. Later versions you have to pay for this.

Use it daily - outputs MP3 files in 60 minute chunks (as I have set)
    I've been using Dar FM website more lately, downloads straight to my iPhone as a podcast where ever I am, so I think I stick with that.