Options

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers looking terrible - drinking again

ellesworthellesworth Posts: 919
Forum Member
✭✭
The man looks like he needs some serious help before he ends up seriously ill or worse :-(

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/577861/Jonathan-Rhys-Meyers-dishevelled-drinking-vodka-street-Tudors

Comments

• Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved him in the Tudors

Openly drinking vodka in broad daylight in the street, don't even think Amy Winehouse did that, not looking good :(
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sad to see him so unwell. :cry:

I sincerely hope someone comes to his aid soon.:(
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of Amy Winehouse... Not a great sign.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Very sad to see him (or anyone) like this.

Hopefully he will get help, seeing pictures of himself like this could be a wakeup call.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks mods.

Good call.:)
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope he gets help soon. I know he has had problems for a while and his mothers death affected him badly. :(
  • Options
    HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Really sad to see. He's such a gifted guy when he's on the straight and narrow. I feel maybe the cancellation of Dracula (which I loved btw) has a lot to do with his decline again.

I just hope that someone can help him before he spirals any more.:(
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    Being were Jonathan Rhys Meyers has been with his drinking when i was at my worst so i can sympathise with him, thankfully i'm dry at the moment and in a decent place so he can turn it around again but he needs help. Jonathan Rhys Meyers needs to take it a day at a time, the temptation is always there to drink when you are an alcoholic especially when things aren't going so well, just need to remember why you stopped in the first place. As i'm always told falling down and having a blip is not failure(As if it was i have failed 100's of times) staying down and doing nothing about it, is. Good luck Jonathan.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is so very sad, really is. Hope someone close to him reaches out and helps. I can't believe it's him to be fair
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    ellesworth wrote: »
    The man looks like he needs some serious help before he ends up seriously ill or worse :-(

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/577861/Jonathan-Rhys-Meyers-dishevelled-drinking-vodka-street-Tudors

Oh those pics are so sad.
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Being were Jonathan Rhys Meyers has been with his drinking when i was at my worst so i can sympathise with him, thankfully i'm dry at the moment and in a decent place so he can turn it around again but he needs help. Jonathan Rhys Meyers needs to take it a day at a time, the temptation is always there to drink when you are an alcoholic especially when things aren't going so well, just need to remember why you stopped in the first place. As i'm always told falling down and having a blip is not failure(As if it was i have failed 100's of times) staying down and doing nothing about it, is. Good luck Jonathan.

I hope he's got someone close to him, and to whom he'll listen, who'll give him your poignant but absolutely essential advice. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy needs help. Friends or family need to make contact with him.
  • Options
    pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although the pics are intrusive I hope that someone can step up & help him. Its so sad to see such a great talent in such a bad place. Alcoholism is such a cruel & devastating disease
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read an article today that says he claimed he hadn't touched alcohol until he was 25 on holiday in Thailand or Goa.

He wasn't a stranger to alcohol when he worked on The Tribe. He was around 18 at the time. No different from other 18-year-olds who enjoyed drinking and the like, though.

That said, I have heard over years since that he made an effort to keep his private life and his professional life apart. As in, he doesn't - or at least, didn't - drink between three weeks and six weeks of working on a project. Some think he may be a binge drinker because of the pattern. He went on a bender as soon as his project finished, but stopped as soon as he was due to do another project. No idea if this is true, though.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those pictures are shocking and very sad. I hope those close to him step in and persuade him to get help. :(
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think he looked that bad. Obviously, the one with him dribbling isn't great. But I feel I've seen worst affected states by possibly alcohol. Just a bad day for him.
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I didn't think he looked that bad. Obviously, the one with him dribbling isn't great. But I feel I've seen worst affected states by possibly alcohol. Just a bad day for him.

To suggest that's just a bad day for him is denial made flesh. He is an alcoholic and trying to minimise/excuse it is really not helping anyone, least of all him.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I enjoy a drink myself but to swigging straight vodka out in the open on your own in daylight whether you are a household name or not is a serious cause for concern and not just someone who is having a 'bad day'
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad to see, hope he gets help :(

Lots of reader comments condemning the DM also publishing the papped pics
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been going on for years! This isn't anything new. He didn't bother to get any help back then, he's hardly going to get help now. The guy's a frequent and habitual mess, nothing is going to change.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »

I sincerely hope he gets himself along to some meetings. I always cringe when I hear about celebrities going to rehab. Not saying it's the case with him, but too often agents and managers use a stint in rehab as a PR exercise. It's no substitute for meetings or whatever ongoing support mechanism works for an individual.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Awful pictures, It seems his life fell apart when his mother died. Never understand why so many actors have alcohol problems. How on earth do they learn their lines, get insurance companies to insure them when they work on films?? He is a great actor but so was Richard Burton and so many other talented men who ended up having serious problems with the bottle.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when Dracula was about to be shown. Quite a few interviews with the cast etc. The company making it had a clause where Johnathan was drug and alcohol tested weekly because of his record, they need to cover themselves because of insurance.

He thought it was funny, and said of course he would stay sober and clean when working
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful pictures, It seems his life fell apart when his mother died. Never understand why so many actors have alcohol problems. How on earth do they learn their lines, get insurance companies to insure them when they work on films?? He is a great actor but so was Richard Burton and so many other talented men who ended up having serious problems with the bottle.

Acting is often a way of dealing with insecurity and shyness and alcohol can have the same effect of making nervous people relax.

The binge drinking is a worry - it can be more dangerous than drinking everyday.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellesworth wrote: »

Bloody hell! He's rapidly losing his looks. He looks like a homeless person.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The guy is either in serious denial about the extent of his problem or he really doesn't care that he has a problem.

For someone so young to be looking so rough and so seemingly dependent on alcohol is a real tragedy. He is such a good looking young man with so much talent.

I suspect he isn't at the stage yet where he really wants help or has reached his rock bottom. Despite the trips to rehab - it has to come from deep within him and as yet he isn't ready to change his life or face it without alcohol.