Alexandra Burke to star in The Bodyguard

Comments

• Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    Be OK if she was at a karaoke bar, but national TV? Bit embarrassing.

Is she still bitter that Diana was the star of the series?
    That Laura's exit was bigger news than her win?
    That Ruth is a much more rounded package?
    That she'll always be in Leona's shadow?

Still, at least she can say she's the fourth best female to win The X Factor...

7 years on and you're still bitter about Diana not winning - wow

Alex is brilliant - and is completely different to Leona :-/
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7 years on and you're still bitter about Diana not winning - wow

Alex is brilliant - and is completely different to Leona :-/

Diana was better off not winning - as was everyone else on every series of this show.

The winners have a dire record of not doing well, I don't need to tell you this. Simon couldn't even look after the biggest talent that will ever grace the show. If he doesn't know how to withstand a long, successful career for Leona, what chance does everyone else have?

Leona and Alexandra are always compared because they were (up until recently) the only female winners, except there's not a lot to compare - Leona is superior and there's just no argument Alexandra fans can come up with without sounding ridiculous. I understand the roots of the camparison come from way back when Alexandra won and all her fans had high hopes for her, but as the years go on and you look at their careers since, there's no battling to be done. The war has been won.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana was better off not winning - as was everyone else on every series of this show.

The winners have a dire record of not doing well, I don't need to tell you this. Simon couldn't even look after the biggest talent that will ever grace the show. If he doesn't know how to withstand a long, successful career for Leona, what chance does everyone else have?

Leona and Alexandra are always compared because they were (up until recently) the only female winners, except there's not a lot to compare - Leona is superior and there's just no argument Alexandra fans can come up with without sounding ridiculous. I understand the roots of the camparison come from way back when Alexandra won and all her fans had high hopes for her, but as the years go on and you look at their careers since, there's no battling to be done. The war has been won.

So when can we see Leona playing a leading role in a top West End musical? Do let me know.
  • Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Makes me laugh that you are comparing Leona and Alex there isn't one thing that
    Is the same - whilst you are chuffed about Diana and Leona - leonas latest music isn't really setting the charts on fire and Diana well god knows where she is - I for one am glad coz her voice is blinkin awful! Just my opinion of course but Alex has gone on to do really well in her west end debut - singing Whitney - I doubt Leona could do that as her voice is more light and breezy mariah-Esque whereas Alex has the tone and power and Diana lol she couldn't sing a Cheryl Cole song let alone Whitney or mariah

#justsaying
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw The Bodyguard in Dublin during the summer and it was beyond entertaining!
    Alex's voice is still phenomenal.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? So why didn't she win then? As for the rest...... only in your opinion, of course.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when can we see Leona playing a leading role in a top West End musical? Do let me know.

That is by choice though, Leona admitted in an interview that she was offered The Bodyguard role but turned it down to focus on her own music.

That takes nothing away from Alexandra, as she is incredible, but you shouldn't try and bring Leona down to big Alex up, there is no need, both amazing talents who Cowell let down.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You say all of this but Laura, Ruth and Diana have done sweet FA so I'm sure she's not bothered. Leona was a flash in the pan and her career is on the wane. Its not like Leona is a superstar.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, where is Diana again?

Is Laura, oops I mean "Martha" still suffering from that name change identity crisis?

Europe didn't seem to think so.

Who was the first British female to sell 1 million copies of a single in the UK? Oh wait...:kitty:
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me laugh that you are comparing Leona and Alex there isn't one thing that
    Is the same - whilst you are chuffed about Diana and Leona - leonas latest music isn't really setting the charts on fire and Diana well god knows where she is - I for one am glad coz her voice is blinkin awful! Just my opinion of course but Alex has gone on to do really well in her west end debut - singing Whitney - I doubt Leona could do that as her voice is more light and breezy mariah-Esque whereas Alex has the tone and power and Diana lol she couldn't sing a Cheryl Cole song let alone Whitney or mariah

#justsaying

If there's nothing to compare, why are several people below comparing them? You're even comparing them.

Oh, and this isn't Twitter.
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Really? So why didn't she win then? As for the rest...... only in your opinion, of course.

Because the British love an underdog (and she was certainly that, wasn't she?!). Not to mention pulling out all the sympathy votes towards the end. Sob, sob, me and me sisters share a bed (which turned out to be untrue), me mum's so ill. Alexandra's vote speaks for itself - she was barely getting through each week and only got noticed once the rest of the girls got wiped out due to things out of their control.

Headline after headline saying Laura was dating a producer, claiming the show was fixed for her and Diana got sick and was never the same, meaning the show had backed themselves into a corner due to how much the girls category was pushed that year and had to save face by letting Alexandra win by default. They even paid God knows how much to roll out Beyonce to give Alexandra her 'dream', whilst the other two acts got stuck with two irrelevant boy bands. Even then, Alexandra barely won over JLS. And people question why she flopped :D

Of course it's my opinion, it's a forum. Surprised so many people still don't realise this.
    You say all of this but Laura, Ruth and Diana have done sweet FA so I'm sure she's not bothered. Leona was a flash in the pan and her career is on the wane. Its not like Leona is a superstar.

Sorry, what's Alexandra done again? :confused:

Flash in the pan? Leona's still around nine years on. Alexandra came two years later and is no where to be seen, unless you're after some Whitney impersonation. That's all she's good for, no real talent of her own or a credible artist in her own right.
    Zack06 wrote: »

Sorry, where is Diana again?

Is Laura, oops I mean "Martha" still suffering from that name change identity crisis?

Europe didn't seem to think so.

Who was the first British female to sell 1 million copies of a single in the UK? Oh wait...:kitty:

Look, I know how upset you get when Alexandra is criticised, so I'll be nice and say nothing :)

OK.com ;-)
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    That is by choice though, Leona admitted in an interview that she was offered The Bodyguard role but turned it down to focus on her own music.

That takes nothing away from Alexandra, as she is incredible, but you shouldn't try and bring Leona down to big Alex up, there is no need, both amazing talents who Cowell let down.

They are both great singers, but just because you can sing doesn't mean you are suitable for the West End. No offence to Leona but she doesn't have the acting ability required for it. And that is every bit as important as singing ability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's nothing to compare, why are several people below comparing them? You're even comparing them.

Because the British love an underdog (and she was certainly that, wasn't she?!). Not to mention pulling out all the sympathy votes towards the end. Sob, sob, me and me sisters share a bed (which turned out to be untrue), me mum's so ill. Alexandra's vote speaks for itself - she was barely getting through each week and only got noticed once the rest of the girls got wiped out due to things out of their control.

Headline after headline saying Laura was dating a producer, claiming the show was fixed for her and Diana got sick and was never the same, meaning the show had backed themselves into a corner due to how much the girls category was pushed that year and had to save face by letting Alexandra win by default. They even paid God knows how much to roll out Beyonce to give Alexandra her 'dream', whilst the other two acts got stuck with two irrelevant boy bands. Even then, Alexandra barely won over JLS. And people question why she flopped :D

Of course it's my opinion, it's a forum. Surprised so many people still don't realise this.

Flash in the pan? Leona's still around nine years on. Alexandra came two years later and is no where to be seen, unless you're after some Whitney impersonation. That's all she's good for, no real talent of her own or a credible artist in her own right.

Look, I know how upset you get when Alexandra is criticised, so I'll be nice and say nothing :)

OK.com ;-)

Alex is just so much better than Leona in every way It is not even close in my opinion.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it really a forum - wow, you don't say! And who doesn't realise it? That's what I already said, of course, it's all in your opinion and only just that, which of course, you're perfectly entitled to even though it has no basis in fact.
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    Alex is just so much better than Leona in every way It is not even close in my opinion.

They are both very good at what they can do, but it was never the same.

Their voices are very different as are their personalities and musical paths.

I think it is possible for both to have different types of success. People may prefer one over the other because of their personal taste, but that is no reason to diminish the other one.

I admit I personally much prefer Leona as a singer because I prefer her lighter, more varied tone and delivery. She also engages me more and I think she has a more interesting and varied discography. I also think that she is more engaged in making different styles of music and experimenting more with that. Her focus seems to be more on that side.

But I have no doubt that Alex has an impressive voice and stage presence and I would have gone to see her in The Bodyguard if it had fitted in with my plans . I'm just not interested in most of her discography. Apart from Hallelulah and The Silence it isn't really to my taste.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seven years on and people are still comparing Alexandra and Leona?
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »
    Seven years on and people are still comparing Alexandra and Leona?

It's a tribute to them both that people still care.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariella52 wrote: »
    They are both very good at what they can do, but it was never the same.

Their voices are very different as are their personalities and musical paths.

I think it is possible for both to have different types of success. People may prefer one over the other because of their personal taste, but that is no reason to diminish the other one.

I admit I personally much prefer Leona as a singer because I prefer her lighter, more varied tone and delivery. She also engages me more and I think she has a more interesting and varied discography. I also think that she is more engaged in making different styles of music and experimenting more with that. Her focus seems to be more on that side.

But I have no doubt that Alex has an impressive voice and stage presence and I would have gone to see her in The Bodyguard if it had fitted in with my plans . I'm just not interested in most of her discography. Apart from Hallelulah and The Silence it isn't really to my taste.

Some very fair points made here. They do both have very different voiceswhich is why i guess that many people either prefer one or the other. I have always thought that leona was pleasant to listen to, but never really liked her enough to buy any of her music.

Although i have always much preferred Alex, i was not keen on a lot of the material that she was given for her debut album which did'nt really suit her in my view. The kind of thing that she is doing in The Bodyguard now suits her far more.
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OK.com ;-)

Or morelike you don't have anything credible to say, The poster is spot on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or morelike you don't have anything credible to say, The poster is spot on.

Anyone who is performing a leading role in any west end production is at the top of the tree, and it is silly to say otherwise.
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who is performing a leading role in any west end production is at the top of the tree, and it is silly to say otherwise.

I totally agree. It's amazing how much codswallop some people spout about a successful person such as Alexandra simply because they don't like them.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariella52 wrote: »
    It's a tribute to them both that people still care.:)

I get your point, but I don't understand why some people are hell bent on proving one is better than the other. I personally prefer Alexandra's voice, but it's a matter of personal taste. Leona was a talented vocalist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jocolah wrote: »

Is it really a forum - wow, you don't say! And who doesn't realise it? That's what I already said, of course, it's all in your opinion and only just that, which of course, you're perfectly entitled to even though it has no basis in fact.

Rubbish. Alexandra did not barely win over JLS she won by almost 20 %. If Diana was that great, she would have done well after the show but she didn't. Diana didn't win because she couldn't sing, she sounded like a bag of cats screaming. All X factor acts have a shelf life, simply because they are maufactured and Simon Cowell does not focus on longevity he's only out to make a quick buck. Some people's shelf life is longer than others. Leona is at the end of her shelf life and has been for a while now.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »
    I get your point, but I don't understand why some people are hell bent on proving one is better than the other. I personally prefer Alexandra's voice, but it's a matter of personal taste. Leona was a talented vocalist.

They're both phenomenal talents. I feel that because they're both women of colour they get compared to each other in such a way to tear one down over the other.

The same thing happens with Beyonce and Rihanna (I know there's no vocal comparison LOL) - both can exist.

I'm very glad Alex has finally gotten great reviews for her talent. She seems very happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now I was wrong when I said that Ruth was missing in action.

http://youtu.be/QyUbsUlb3d0

An imitation act.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Leona's playing a leading role in a top West end musical. Just letting you know ;)