Does anyone use Wainwright dog food?

Hi my bf has just started our collie on this after he stopped eating the food he was on previously on.
Has anyone got there dog on it and would they recommend it?

Comments

• MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have often thought about changing my dogs' food but have no idea what to try and at the moment they eat Eukanuba and a small amount of tinned Butcher's Tripe or some of our left over bits of meat and veg mixed in.... not counting the food they steal -- when I've not been looking -- after leaving things close enough for them to stretch up and reach (long Bassets).

They look very healthy on it (maybe helped by their stolen goodies) and at the weekend had a dozen fresh eggs, several apples, nectarines and apples. Yesterday they pinched a punnet of 5 nectarines that I bought to replace the others while I was upstairs on the PC (stones were in the hall so thankfully they knew not to eat them) and I learned from my neighbour that they also had 4 pears that she left on the step for me!

Is there some dried food that is more 'concentrated' than others that's available because a friend's dog eats some 'cheaper' (than my Eukanuba) stuff from the pet shop and she reckons her Lab seems to do a lot of poo so I told her that maybe some food is more concentrated than others because I'm sure I have seen on this forum that some dry foods contain a lot of 'ash' (I think that's what it's called) so maybe there's more waste the other end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Generally the better quality the food not only the less you need to feed but the less 'poo' you get. Eukanuba is a very good balanced food and I would be very wary about changing your pet's food.
    Your friend could switch her dog to this or another premium food but she should do this gradaully reducing the amount of current food and increasing the new food. Don't forget the water too.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend has her whippet on this and he's thriving on it. It's quite expensive though isn't it?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wainrights isn't the worst food you can feed a dog, nor is it the best.

For the cost - it is P@H 'premium' range - it is reasonable value for money - certainly cheaper than equivalent foods such as JWB.

The best commercial food from a biological perspective would be Orijen or Applaws. But they are very, very expensive. Cheaper (and probably better) to home cook or feed RAW. We used Orijen and a German tinned food (same sort of meat/veg no grain mix) on holiday. Cost almost three times what we pay feeding RAW (but was more convenient) though I must admit all three dogs gained weight despite increased holiday walks:o

When choosing a food, aim for the least grain content and look for a high meat content (70% is ideal) with a couple of different vegetables. Rice is the most common grain and is generally well tolerated (though avoid if you can as it is only really filler) but avoid anything with corn/maize or wheat.

Wainrights has a Salmon and Potato recipe which would probably be the better one. But it has barely a fifth salmon 'protein' - what the hell is salmon 'protein'!!!!
    P@H wrote:
    Salmon Protein (Min. 23%), Potato (Min. 21%), Sorghum, Whole Grain Barley (Min. 10%), Atlantic Fish Meal, Whole Linseed (Min. 4%), Sugar Beet Pulp (Min. 5%), Sunflower Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Alfalfa, Natural Seawood (Min. 0.5%), Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Marigold Extract, Yucca Extract, Rosemary Extract.

All sounds highly processed.

As opposed to Orijen 6 Fish
    Orijen wrote:
    70% Fish, 30% Fruit & Vegetables, 0% Grain
  • ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WE use Hills Science Plan and wouldn't use anything else !

BUy it direct from suppliers NOT the local shop though.

THey currently have a special offer of BUY ONE get ONE free !!

http://www.hillspet.co.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I have fed my dogs on wainwrights for a few months now, and it seems to suit them and they enjoy it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dogs been on it about a week and a half now and we have noticed a very good improvement in the dog especially in his coat and the fact that he has less energy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less energy is a good thing?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried Wainwrights but my dogs won't touch it ~ well Barney will, but only after looking at me with a "do you really expect me to eat that" look!
  • illusioukillusiouk Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just changed my whole dogs diet due to seizures, I'm giving him James Wellbeloved food because its hypoallergenic, so far things are looking good.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less energy is a good thing?:confused:

He was extremely hyper on the other food so less energy is a good thing. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was extremely hyper on the other food so less energy is a good thing. :)

Ahhh - understand now:)