Options

Wisdom teeth removal - stitches?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
Forum Member
I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed under GA at the hospital last Thursday, so 2/3 days ago now.

I was told they'd used dissolvable stitches to close the wounds.
Only I just felt one pop open :eek: It didn't bleed much at all and I don't have any extra pain in the area (any more than the rest of my mouth anyway!), but there is a visible hole there now.

Is it normal for them to come out so quickly? I've never had stitches before and the hospital didn't explain. Google is giving me all different answers. I thought they'd be in there a couple of weeks rather than days.

Can anyone advise? Or at least reassure me :o I'm really worried, it was horrible feeling it 'pop' like that!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your poor thing. I am sure it will be fine. I have had wisdom teeth extracted without having stitches and my OH had a tooth removed a while back without any. The hole will still close up. Just keep the area ultra clean - regular sale mouthwashes are often recommended.

If you are worried or it starts being more painful than the other sites call up the hospital and ask to speak to someone. You could also phone NHS Direct.

Hopefully someone who has had stitches will be able to reassure you as well. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about 8 years ago i had four wisdom teeth out unger ga and stiches in the lower gum on both sides yes they were dissovable i cant remember how long they stayed in place for i think around about a week however im sure i remember oneside going before the other as long as you keep yr mouth clean use mouthwash or use warm saltwater you should be ok. i sure you have a very swollen mouth anyway i know i did!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you :)

The swelling has gone down a lot now. It actually feels better this morning on the side where the stitch popped out! Maybe I'm just a fast healer? hehe.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I'm being extra careful and using a salt water rinse after every drink.

Thanks again for replying, I freaked out last night when I felt it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you are feeling brighter. Mouth problems always seem dramatic don't they? I lost a chunk of filling a while back and the jagged edges felt huge!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh yes definitely! I could feel what felt like a huge fragment of bone near the socket yesterday. I panicked, got my torch out (it's dark in there :D) turn out it's one of the teensy stitches at a funny angle!