Options

What should be on the new Xbox?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What should be on it?

Here's my requests:

500GB hard drive.
Kinect 2 either a redesigned bar or inbuilt sensors and just a camera bar.
Full 3D support.
Blu Ray Support.
BBC Iplayer.
TV remote bundled with the console.
Built in Wi-fi like the slim model.
6 USB sockets + HDMI one.
In built headset for Xbox Live with Bluetooth support for multiple consoles over the house.
Memory card support at the back to plug cameras in.
DVB card port to watch Freeview on or DAB radio app.
More apps than just Facebook. Youtube, Internet explorer, Windows 7 connectivity.
Double disc track with voice command. One tray for back support for old games and one for new Blu Ray supported ones.
Removal of most buttons from the console.

Comments

• Options
    FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good computery bits inside, big hard drive, Blu-Ray for games, and the ability to stream stuff from my PC, with whatever holes are necessary on the back and front.

I couldn't really care less about anything else, I'd like costs to be kept to a minimum. Any other hardware should be an optional extra you can buy separately - although I'd imagine built-in WiFi will come as standard anyway.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect with that list of stuff it would cost at least £500.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I suspect with that list of stuff it would cost at least £500.

Usually when a new console is out it's about £300 atleast anyway. :D
  • Options
    Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually when a new console is out it's about £300 atleast anyway. :D

Or £425.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC iplayer and freeview tuner would be great additions.
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a DTT tuner would be a good idea, with Windows Media Center. It could be used a decent PVR as well as a console.

Not fussed about bluray tbh. A nice big HDD would be good though.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    500GB hard drive: I would disappointing with anything less than TB

Full 3D support: is a given

Blu Ray Support: Would involve paying Sony royalties for every console sold. MS seem more keen on DD these days.

BBC I player: not important theirs just to many ways to watch BBC programs these days.

TV remote bundled with the console: would add cost for something others may not want

Built in Wi-fi like the slim model: would be stupid not too.

6 USB sockets + HDMI one: who needs 6 usb ports
    I

More apps than just Facebook. Youtube, Internet explorer, Windows 7 connectivity.
    Double disc track with voice command. One tray for back support for old games and one for new Blu Ray supported ones.

bold stuff is stupid poitless crap can't be arsed making a comment about.
  • Options
    LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What should be on it?

Here's my requests:

500GB hard drive.
    Full 3D support.
    Blu Ray Support.
    BBC Iplayer.
    In built headset for Xbox Live with Bluetooth support for multiple consoles over the house.

Or you could just buy a PS3... ;)
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member

huh? Whats that got to do with the price of fish?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would like to see the tv content expanded with the free players (iplayer, 4od etc.) also for twitter and fm to run in the guide so they could be used during games. but i would like to see that happen in a dash update for the current xbox.

also i think that the games on demand service needs an overhaul or to be scrapped. it charges more than most shops and without the ability to trade in. it would be great to see games new games come out on it and under cut supermarkets so as to be a proper option. i mean stick a game like fifa on it for £20 and it would sell like hot cakes.

i think a proper new xbox could be upto 5 years away and kinect plus all the slimmed up versions are there to give it some extra shelf life.

i think he also wants to keep the great games console bit :p:p:p
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or a pc.

I think the hardware of the next xbox depends on how successful Kinect is and microsoft's market strategy. They might want to be the next gen wii in which case the hardware wont be much more powerful then the 360 and could lose out on AAA games which would also mean they will lose out on people having a gold sub.

I hope the next xbox hardware spec is as powerful as possible while keeping the cost in most peoples price range. Similar strategy to when they first launched the 360. Bluray and a 500 gb hdd should come as standard on the console and any other bells and whistles im happy for them to sell separately to keep costs of the unit under control.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    More video and system RAM.

Faster CPU & GPU

All they can do really - think consoles have hit a stalemate now. You cant go any higher than HD because then you are getting into the realms of being able to see better than the human eye can see

2160p perhaps - but again what is the point? Making 99.9% of people change their tv's from 1080p?

The ability to put your own size hard drive in would be good, instead of being dictated to by the manufacturer.

A blu ray drive perhaps, but then you'll be in to PS3 domain with mandatory 4/6 gig installs unless they speed up the drive access times on newer blu ray drives.

Digital distribution I dont like the sound of. Not everyone has the fastest broadband and do you really want to be downloading 8 gig miniumum every time you get a new game? Or look at it another way, downloading Final Fantasy 13, 4 dics with 7.4 gig on each disc so thats 30 gig of downloading before you can get started? That really the way of the future? Then, with slower broadband speeds, there are cap levels you can download in a month there is also that aspect to look at...

Anyway...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think he was asking about the next Xbox console.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Blu Ray Support: Would involve paying Sony royalties for every console sold.

No it wouldn't, where do you get that idea from? If any "fee" has to be paid simply for making a blu-ray capable player then it would go to the BR Disc Association, if anyone, and not directly to Sony, even though they have reps on the board...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    500gb Hard drive with the ailityto upgrade it in the same way you can on PS3
    Blu-ray/DVD drive
    The ability to record from Sky player to the hard drive and also a tuner box for freeview
    Backwards Compatibility wih Xbox 360 and Xbox original games
    Built in wifi from launch
    Built in Kinect (and maybe a cheaper model without it being built in)
    6 USB ports: 2 at the front, 4 on the back and HDMI socket
    Ability to carry over your Live Gamertag, subsciption, gamerscore and downloads from XBLA and any DLC you've bought
  • Options
    tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    What should be on it?

Here's my requests:

500GB hard drive
    Full 3D support.
    Blu Ray Support.
    BBC Iplayer.

I've highlighted in bold the ones I don't think are very likely and the reasons;
    I think we have yet to see if Kinect is going to be the mega-success Microsoft wants it to be; there isn't a lot of quality software available for it and I don't think the technology actually possesses the ability to really innovate. Cost cutting has meant it's just a motion sensor. If it ever becomes a 'must-have' item, with quality software, I think it could change the future console completely, with built-in or bundled 'Kinect 2.0' like you suggest.

I don't think BBC iPlayer will ever happen on Xbox; I'll eat my words if they announce it tomorrow, but with Gold subscription Microsoft would want some sort of money for it and the Beeb can't accept that money.

Why would you need a TV remote, when the future is Kinect? :rolleyes: ;) JK. With technology advancing so quickly at the moment, with 3D all over the place and possibly disc-free gaming, possible controller-free, who knows if your TV of the future will even have a remote control? If the console is released in the next 3-5 years, it will probably have DVR capabilities but I expect a remote would be an accessory you pay extra for.

Blu-tooth headset is never going to happen; Microsoft would lose money if they enabled any old headset to wirelessly sync to their system.

I doubt it would have a DVB tuner; the vast majority of TVs come with it built-in nowadays and it would turn into a waste of console space and a waste of money.

Two disc trays is also definitely not going to happen. There will probably be one tray, blu-ray capable for new content and movies, and backward compatible with 360 games and DVDs. I don't think it will not have a disc-tray because it's probably at least 15-20 years before broadband speeds allow realistic fast download or streaming of content.

How many buttons are there on the current 360? I can think of about 2, maybe 3? Power button, controller sync, disc eject... which exactly would you remove? :D It will probably have the same number of buttons or fewer.

Good suggestions, but I don't think we're going to see a new Xbox for at least 4 years yet. I would say definite inclusions are blu-ray and wireless. Beyond that and it's debatable because of new technology which is pouring out at present.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    With technology advancing so quickly at the moment, with 3D all over the place and possibly disc-free gaming, possible controller-free, .

If there's ever a controller free console then thats an instant no way from me. Motion gaming is just a novelty imo and if it replaces a proper controller I will stop gaming. I don't wanna have to swing my arms about or jump around all the time. It can be a giggle at times but overall a controller is better in my eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    I've highlighted in bold the ones I don't think are very likely and the reasons;
    I think we have yet to see if Kinect is going to be the mega-success Microsoft wants it to be; there isn't a lot of quality software available for it and I don't think the technology actually possesses the ability to really innovate. Cost cutting has meant it's just a motion sensor. If it ever becomes a 'must-have' item, with quality software, I think it could change the future console completely, with built-in or bundled 'Kinect 2.0' like you suggest.

I don't think BBC iPlayer will ever happen on Xbox; I'll eat my words if they announce it tomorrow, but with Gold subscription Microsoft would want some sort of money for it and the Beeb can't accept that money.

Why would you need a TV remote, when the future is Kinect? :rolleyes: ;) JK. With technology advancing so quickly at the moment, with 3D all over the place and possibly disc-free gaming, possible controller-free, who knows if your TV of the future will even have a remote control? If the console is released in the next 3-5 years, it will probably have DVR capabilities but I expect a remote would be an accessory you pay extra for.

Blu-tooth headset is never going to happen; Microsoft would lose money if they enabled any old headset to wirelessly sync to their system.

I doubt it would have a DVB tuner; the vast majority of TVs come with it built-in nowadays and it would turn into a waste of console space and a waste of money.

Two disc trays is also definitely not going to happen. There will probably be one tray, blu-ray capable for new content and movies, and backward compatible with 360 games and DVDs. I don't think it will not have a disc-tray because it's probably at least 15-20 years before broadband speeds allow realistic fast download or streaming of content.

How many buttons are there on the current 360? I can think of about 2, maybe 3? Power button, controller sync, disc eject... which exactly would you remove? :D It will probably have the same number of buttons or fewer.

Good suggestions, but I don't think we're going to see a new Xbox for at least 4 years yet. I would say definite inclusions are blu-ray and wireless. Beyond that and it's debatable because of new technology which is pouring out at present.

I disagree about 4 years. I think it's more realistic it will come about 2012 (2 years).

I actually think BBC Iplayer is a certainty. They don't want to be behind the PS3. I think a TV remote is still a good accessory.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    More video and system RAM.

Faster CPU & GPU

All they can do really - think consoles have hit a stalemate now. You cant go any higher than HD because then you are getting into the realms of being able to see better than the human eye can see

2160p perhaps - but again what is the point? Making 99.9% of people change their tv's from 1080p?

Anyway...

I'm sorry but are you being serious? We are bearly scraping HD as it is right now in 2010 which I find abysmal. Many, many games render at under 720p which is the bear minimum considered for HD. Hardly any games support Full HD (1080p) at a native resolution, that is what we can at least hope for come next gen surely? Consoles aren't in a stalemate at all, in fact it's a case HDTV technology being vastly ahead of console tech. 1080p TV's aren't being used to their fullest potiential in the slightest (for games) and there's a huge difference in quality from 720p and 1080p.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

The whole point of this topic is to discus the next gen, not about taking a backwards step from the 360.

BTW MS don't have to use Blu Ray next gen surely, that is if they aren't so hooked up on the whole all-in-one media center/games machine ethos like Sony are.

I don't care for Blu Ray movies, if I buy a games console next gen it will be for the games and nothing else. Surely MS can just incorporate HD-DVD players into the next Xbox instead to be used as an exclusive medium for games only? (with DVD playing capacity) That would be a much cheaper and realistic option.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    The whole point of this topic is to discus the next gen, not about taking a backwards step from the 360.

BTW MS don't have to use Blu Ray next gen surely, that is if they aren't so hooked up on the whole all-in-one media center/games machine ethos like Sony are.

I don't care for Blu Ray movies, if I buy a games console next gen it will be for the games and nothing else. Surely MS can just incorporate HD-DVD players into the next Xbox instead to be used as an exclusive medium for games only? (with DVD playing capacity) That would be a much cheaper and realistic option.

There reason he said that is becuase the OP basically describe the ps3 with few things that ms own anyway that the ps3 could not have.

No where near as simple as you make out to be HD dvd drives where discontinued Microsoft would have start manufacturing them again costing a lot money maybe even more than sucking up and paying royalties to sony.

Its too early to start guessing about next gen ms or Sony have shown little interest in starting new generation off in such poor economic condition's it would be suicide anyway.

So by the time new xbox comes out there could be new optical medium DD could took over theirs to many probabilities at this current time.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all the consoles are crying out for more useable memory. The same consoles with more memory and the developers would have so much more room to play with. I'm not saying make a new console with ONLY this though, but should be one of the considerations.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the ability to stream stuff from my PC, with whatever holes are necessary on the back and front.
    You can do that now though...even wirelessly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    You can do that now though...even wirelessly

I can, and it's something I'd like to be able to do with the next Xbox console.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can, and it's something I'd like to be able to do with the next Xbox console.

You will MS won't remove it they arent daft :D I'm sure they will improve it.