France to force supermarkets to give discarded food to charity

2»

Comments

• MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Only the management at Asda will know why they do stuff, i'd imagine its down to the quantity made as well as they'll bake 100's of loaves a day compared to a small batch of buns

There must be a reason why they'll waste even 1 trillionth of a penny printing an extra date on loaf but not bun but since neither of us are privy to such knowledge lets leave it at that as we're both guessing.

No you're guessing. I know for a fact it's pointless. You're even wrong with your 100 loaves a day. Which is why I'm saying you're just making stuff up.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I think the two of you should get naked and have a bread fight with out of date loafs. The first one to leave their opponent in a sandpit of bread wins.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    No you're guessing. I know for a fact it's pointless. You're even wrong with your 100 loaves a day. Which is why I'm saying you're just making stuff up.

the 's means more than one hundred and normally in multiples of said one hundred but thats being pedantic.

I've worked in retail so have some idea of the reasoning behind decisions but as i've never worked at asda i can't tell you with authority why they do things so yes it is guess work but i'm sure if you're so interested in exactly why bread has a DU date and buns don't i'd send them an email and see what the answer is

anyway this is getting boring so i'll sign off from this thread as its going not where it should be going
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    the 's means more than one hundred and normally in multiples of said one hundred but thats being pedantic.

I've worked in retail so have some idea of the reasoning behind decisions but as i've never worked at asda i can't tell you with authority why they do things so yes it is guess work but i'm sure if you're so interested in exactly why bread has a DU date and buns don't i'd send them an email and see what the answer is

anyway this is getting boring so i'll sign off from this thread as its going not where it should be going

Why do you seem to want to argue about something you clearly don't know?

The 100 loaves meant it was no where near what you were GUESSING. The only bread in Asda from the bakery to have a display until is the Smartprice bread which about 30 are made a day. The buns are anywhere from 10 a day to 400 a day. The point being is that what you were guessing simply wasn't true, yet when I told you this, you carried on trying to guess. Display until dates are pointless and serve no purpose. All they do is produce mark downs on items that are still in date which is totally pointless.

I'll repeat. Display until dates are pointless and serve no purpose.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    It's eye-watering the amount of good food supermarkets throw away.

And people at home .Its education about food and its wastage thats needed .Only the other day my own daughter was close to putting a perfectly good cucumber in the bin because the use by date was up .I explained that a cucumber goes soggy and wet and you will know when its off
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The 100 loaves meant it was no where near what you were GUESSING. The only bread in Asda from the bakery to have a display until is the Smartprice bread which about 30 are made a day. The buns are anywhere from 10 a day to 400 a day. The point being is that what you were guessing simply wasn't true, yet when I told you this, you carried on trying to guess. Display until dates are pointless and serve no purpose. All they do is produce mark downs on items that are still in date which is totally pointless.

Aren't things with no display date binned if they don't sell that day but bread can sit for longer before it needs to be binned so it has a date to distinguish between bread made that day and bread made the day before where as the rest of the stuff isn't mixed with stuff made the day after so requires no date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Aren't things with no display date binned if they don't sell that day but bread can sit for longer before it needs to be binned so it has a date to distinguish between bread made that day and bread made the day before where as the rest of the stuff isn't mixed with stuff made the day after so requires no date.

We aren't talking about stuff with no date and stuff with a date. We are talking about stuff with two dates on them, a display till date and a best before date. So something could have a display till date of the 20th but a best before of the 21st. For example the Smartprice bread will have display till the 20th but best before the 23rd. So the staff would have to mark down items with the 20th on them even though they are still good for another 3 days. Utterly pointless.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We aren't talking about stuff with no date and stuff with a date. We are talking about stuff with two dates on them, a display till date and a best before date. So something could have a display till date of the 20th but a best before of the 21st. For example the Smartprice bread will have display till the 20th but best before the 23rd. So the staff would have to mark down items with the 20th on them even though they are still good for another 3 days. Utterly pointless.
    I know, they put the first date on so the staff know when to take the stuff off the shelves. The second date is for the customer to know when it should be binned. The stuff with only one date probably only has the one date because it only displays for a day so it doesn't need a display date, staff will know to bin it after one day. There's no point putting just one date on things which are displayed for longer than a day because then staff will have to work out the shelf life for each individual item, some things might last 3 days some things might last 4 or more but with thousands of products it's easier to put a date for staff to know when to remove from the shelf or put into the reduced section.

Also I did state I was talking about the display date in my first post...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    I know, they put the first date on so the staff know when to take the stuff off the shelves. The second date is for the customer to know when it should be binned. The stuff with only one date probably only has the one date because it only displays for a day so it doesn't need a display date, staff will know to bin it after one day. There's no point putting just one date on things which are displayed for longer than a day because then staff will have to work out the shelf life for each individual item, some things might last 3 days some things might last 4 or more but with thousands of products it's easier to put a date for staff to know when to remove from the shelf or put into the reduced section.

Also I did state I was talking about the display date in my first post...

What are you talking about? :confused:

The point I'm trying to make is that display until dates are wasting more food. Why are we taking bread off the shelf when it's ok for another 3 days. The stuff with one date which is most things in the bakery are not one day life products. You just seem to be guessing like the other poster was.

You seem confused. Why would the staff need to take the products from display BEFORE the use by date. Why then aren't they also doing it for bread buns or cookies or cupcakes. The whole point was why are we putting display till dates on products. Why not just let them sell through till their best before dates which most products have without having to display a display until date. It doesn't help staff in the slightest and infant it causes more work.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    So all that means is that there now won't be any discarded food or very little.

Supermarkets are arrogant and don't care if they throw loads away, but if someone is going to prosper from that, they will just make sure that there is very little waste.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is introduced in this country all I can see happening is that supermarkets will order less and will run out of things more quickly.

I don't see a problem with that, really. We just all need to get better at buying stuff that will last and buying stuff that WON'T last on time. The only real loser here will be supermarkets, and they're largely responsible for the problem in the first place. And I'm sure they'll figure out pretty quickly the optimum ordering level once they know the alternative is food getting given away.
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work for a small animal rescue charity, and Sainsburys have been brilliant to us.

About 3-4 years ago now we had a new Sainsburys store open in our town, and we spoke to them about out of date food, and they said they would happily allow us to have out of date fruit, veg and bread.

I honestly don't know where we'd be without them now, they have saved us so much money.
    Some of the food we get still has to be thrown away as nothing eats them, such as citrus fruits, onions etc, but a lot we can make use of.

Its hard to believe, just from this one store, how much would normally be going to landfill. The bread alone is beyond ridiculous at times!

We have also approached many other supermarkets and all the others just say no due to the health and safety rubbish!
    What Sainsburys did was write up a contract saying that once the food left Sainsburys property, it was no longer anything to do with them, and we (the charity) held full responsibility for it, so why can't the other stores do this?

I hope Britain does follow France's ruling.
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish we would do the same thing here.

Instead our hungry and desperate people are being sent to court for scavenging through supermarket bins. :(
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    About time too !!!

Ridiculous that this should go to waste

link

One of the reasons I don't shop often at supermarkets is because of this. Also, I'm fed up with the incessant 'prices are going down' adverts, when in reality they aren't overall.

Another thing about supermarkets is many were built out of town, thereby encouraging more care use which is the last thing we need in the UK, particularly England.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member

So you weren't interested in talking about if, you just wanted somebody to agree with you?