Help! my cat is pregnant and I need advice on when the kittens are born

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
Forum Member
Hi

My cat Marge is pregnant, any advice on how to prepare and what to do when the kittens get here will be much appreciated!!

Many thanks

Comments

• JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would help if you knew the date she concieved but its usually 63 - 65 days term :) Just over two months. Not long - It will fly by :)
    When she lies down on her side, and you see her huge bump, but - its actually moving around (it really does lol), you litterally have a week at the most.

Good luck, I hope she has a heathly fit litter.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lennyhumps wrote: »
    Hi

My cat Marge is pregnant, any advice on how to prepare and what to do when the kittens get here will be much appreciated!!

Many thanks

I'm not an expert on cat pregnancies, but she will need a nice, cosy quiet place to give birth, and to look after the kittens, so you could start thinking about that now, and introducing her to it (although I believe cats will sometimes choose their own place, generally in your airing cupboard on top of all your best linen!). Otherwise, if everything goes smoothly, cats are more or less preprogrammed to look after kittens, and if she's not disturbed, she should be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thanks to you both for your advice :-) im pretty sure she is almost ready and she has got a big lump and her nipples are really quite pink, I am quite nervous but also will be lovely to see the new arrivals, just have to make sure that they get loving homes and I dont get tempted to keep one!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    book her in at the vets after she has given birth to get spayed, then this won;t happen again. cats will look after themselves I would try and get her used to a preprepared quite nest type place rather than let her choose her own spot.

x x
  • matilda49matilda49 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    When I was a kid and the Cat had kittens she chose a place underneath the stairs in a cupboard. They need a fairly dark place and a box and newspaper. The dark is necessary to protect the kittens eyes til they develop.. probably about 10 days.

Hope it all goes well... I wish I could help more but it is a long time ago since I experienced it lol.
  • SalzSalz Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely try and prepare a nesting place - cardboard box will do, but dont be surprised if she chooses her own spot. If you bring in new stuff to the house, it wont have the smell on that she is used to, so will not use it. Our cat chose to give birth behind the settee - and made a right mess of the carpet in the process!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    When my cat was pregnant we made her up a lovely comfy box in a quiet, dark, undisturbed part of the house... she gave birth to them in a box of nails under the stairs - no kidding!

Also, I agree with the other poster about getting her spayed, my cat was very young when she had kittens, and also got pregnant again very soon after giving birth. It was too much of a strain on her and she aborted the pregnancy part way though - much to my distress, and hers I'm sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how did it go OP:)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    How did it go? did you keep any? :D Do they have loving homes..I'll stop with the questions now. :D 'citing!
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=StasiD;33147646]When my cat was pregnant we made her up a lovely comfy box in a quiet, dark, undisturbed part of the house... she gave birth to them in a box of nails under the stairs - no kidding!
    Also, I agree with the other poster about getting her spayed, my cat was very young when she had kittens, and also got pregnant again very soon after giving birth. It was too much of a strain on her and she aborted the pregnancy part way though - much to my distress, and hers I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

This made me smile, I dread to think where mine would have chosen if they hadn't been neutered, I know it would have been somewhere random and awkward.
  • MonkeylalalaMonkeylalala Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat had kittens, just leave her to it. We prepared a cosy spot too but she ignored it and had it in the gap under our wardrobe. Then she migrated with the kittens to my knicker drawer.:D My fault for leaving it open I suppose.

They do it all by instinct and in my experience like the least interference possible. But the kittens will start playing with you when they're about 3 weeks. Which is very funny cos their legs don't work very well and they keep tumbling over.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat had kittens, just leave her to it. We prepared a cosy spot too but she ignored it and had it in the gap under our wardrobe. Then she migrated with the kittens to my knicker drawer.:D My fault for leaving it open I suppose.

They do it all by instinct and in my experience like the least interference possible. But the kittens will start playing with you when they're about 3 weeks. Which is very funny cos their legs don't work very well and they keep tumbling over.

They're funny at that age, their back legs keep trying to overtake the front ones. I remember one of ours used to fall over because he'd fallen asleep standing up. :D
    Forum Member
    Bump. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Lennyhumps any sign of any kittens?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my days, must be now, she was pregnant about six months ago!
    Forum Member
    bump...come on Lennyhumps..tell us how they're doing :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    Hi

Oh, I've just seen that I was the last person to post in this thread ^ :D

Winnie is pregnant and I thought I'd ask for advice on this thread rather than creating a new one. :) Mum thinks that Winnie will have her kittens in the first week of April, so not that long to go.

I've heard that feeding a pregnant cat kitten food is a good idea as well as feeding them adult food. How do you go about doing that? One kitten food meal and one adult food meal? or mix some adult food with kitten food?

I've also heard that they should have regular small meals rather than 2 big meals per day.

She will be spayed as soon as possible.

Any other cat pregnancy advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
  • lazyjanelazyjane Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering why people are spaying their cats after they've had kittens rather than before?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a guilty one. I didnt have 2 of my cats speyed before they had kittens they are now though. I couldnt go through another cat pregnancy its awful when it goes wrong. I kept all the kittens. I felt like i could have prevented them but i didnt it is upto me too help them now. Maisey moo was a stray and i didnt know she was pregnant till she was about 6wks. We had lost one of our own cats a couple of wks before as well. On that occasion i just couldnt end the pregancy. All but 2 of my cats are speyed/neutered the only reason the 2 aint dont is that they was ill which i didnt know and the vet wouldnt neuter them.
  • timewarpbunnytimewarpbunny Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Hi Mimi,

The pregnant cats I foster all go straight on to kitten food when I get them, it's more nutritious apparently! I've had 2 litters in the past 4 months, the mum also has kitten food while she's feeding the kittens, and yes lots of small meals a day, in fact, the ones I have get fed whenever they're hungry.

I hasten to add these are not MY cats, these are cats that come to me when they are pregnant and their owners don't know what to do!

I've had one who had a litter of 4 and all went so well, she's an amazing mum and i've ended up keeping her and one of her kittens.

The other one didn't go so well, she had a litter of 3 a week prem, one stillborn, one died at 4 days old after she rejected her and we bottlefed, and one is still going strong.

When mum cat has stopped feeding the kittens and they are weaned, please contact the CPL for a voucher to have her spayed. They CPL can also help with spaying/neutering the kittens and can re-home any you struggle to find homes for.

If I can help at all when the time comes, just shout.
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies. :)

We think Winnie will have her kittens in the first week of April. She's such a tiny little thing so she's really starting to show now.

I bought her some kitten food today (apparently it's a good idea to feed them kitten food towards the end of pregnancy as it's higher in everything). :) I tried to get her some food for nursing (I have seen boxes of nursing food, yet couldn't find any today.)

Is it true that they are not supposed to go outside while pregnant? I can understand why they shouldn't be out in the final week or so, in case they have their litter outside etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would keep her in from now on. I also wouldnt let her out again until the kittens are weaned and she is speyed otherwise you will get more little winnies. can you let us know how she is. I would love a update when they are born
    Forum Member
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    I would keep her in from now on. I also wouldnt let her out again until the kittens are weaned and she is speyed otherwise you will get more little winnies. can you let us know how she is. I would love a update when they are born

I'll let you all know how the kittens are when she has them. :) we worked it out today, there is the possibility that my parents will be away when she has her litter :eek:

she won't be going out until she is spayed. :)

ETA - My Mum said that it is not uncommon for one of the kittens to die at birth :cry: what did you do with the little one who didn't survive, if you've been in that situation.

thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes they do die but not always. When we maiseys and veras kittens we buried them in the garden i wouldnt have felt right. If winnie gets into any trouble given birth to a kitten or its stuck you must get her too the vets asap. Also if she looses a lot of blood afterwards she must get too the vets asap as well. I cant wait too see kitten pictures.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she will eat biscuits then you can put kitten biscuits down and she can help herself as and when, but feed her a couple of meals of wet food a day as well unless she always turns her nose up at it - cat food is an expensive way to feed the birds.

Get her de-fleaed and de-wormed - consult the vets for the later. You can get Frontline at lots of pharmacies these days or oneline. The various powders from the pet shops are not effective. Both fleas and worms are a menace to tiny kittens and effective control is a necessity not a luxury.

If you noticed her nipples 'change' - go pink - that happens about 3 weeks after mating and 6 weeks before giving birth.

She needs to look after her kittens for at least 8 weeks, preferably 10 and 12 is idea though they have to be vaccinated before going to new homes if they are 12 weeks old. They need each other as well - when you see them playing you will understand why.

Leaving home is quite stressful and 12-week old kittens cope far better than younger ones, plus they have a resonable immune system of their own. They get some immunity in the first milk but that gradually declines and their own immune systems gradually take over, but the low point is at about 6 weeks after birth. Obviously lots of kittens have been rehomed successfully at that age, but waiting until they are older reduces the chance of them getting ill.

The proud new owners should be happy to pay to at least cover vets costs - worming, flea control and vaccination if they are vaccinated while with you. I'd advise getting them chipped as well, and not waiting until they are neutered. And if you can home them in pairs even better - firstly two kittens are four times as much fun and half the work as one, and secondly it really helps them settle. Don't assume Winnie will thank you if you keep one of the kittens - if you feel tempted try to work out which one is her favourite, not yours. When I kept one of Sparkies kittens she would have nothing to do with it once her favourite had gone, but thankfully Uncle cat proved to adore him, and him Uncle.

Winnie can be spayed once they are happily tucking into 'solid' food as it won't matter if her milk dries up, though my own cat carried on happily feeding her kittens after being neutered untilt her favourite went to his new home. My friend bred some litters of pedigree kittens and they were hillarious as they weaned themselves by swimming in tinned kitten food and then cleaning themselves up!

Ring your vets, find out what their emergency details are - you might find you have to go somewhere different. If she gets in trouble in the middle of the night that's not when you want to start having to find all this stuff out. Cats are usually OK, but not always.

You might also want to get a pair of cheap electronic kitchen scales (if you don't already have some) and keep track of their weight. Weigh them at the same time each day, some lose in the first few days is common but often the first sign of problems is a kitten stops putting weight on. They are quite skinny when they are born, but by the end of the first week they should be fat furry little slugs.

Lastly, photos. We demand photos, lots of photos! And enjoy the kittens while you have them - it's a real treat,