Making a complaint - Tesco

Comments

• JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'd have gotten myself arrested if I was in the OP's position. No real advice to offer, I think I would both write to Head Office and go back to the store and demand to speak to a Manager when that stupid girl is on shift again, and point her out specifically and quote her word for word (making sure as many customers hear as possible).
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just reading your opening post has made me angry OP. So I can imagine how angry you were.

I would have caused merry hell right there and then. I understand we are all different and infact you will probably get a better result by complaining through he proper channels.

I can't believe the old bag said those things:mad: I commend you on your control. I would have gone bonkers.
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, i'd expect you would have got more of a constructive response there and then rather than days later via email.

No need for confrontation - you could have gone to see customer services or got someone to call a manager over.

You'll probably get "we'll pass your comments on to those concerned" and "we can't comment on internal matters"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for the replies :)

I received an automated response to my email, saying someone will review it and get back to me. I'll see how it goes. I do still have the receipt, good thinking to those who suggested, I didn't think of that.

I know the name of the staff member who said it. It's a small Tesco express, and it's my only local shop, so I am a regular customer and recognise the staff who work there. I don't drive yet so it's going to be a right pain going elsewhere, but I would never step foot in there again. I'll take my custom elsewhere.

It's not the first time I've had a snide comment aimed at me or my family. They're just very b*tchy and have a customer vs. staff mentality.

I'm not sure what I hope to gain from complaining, I just can't let this go, I doubt any telling off by management will make this woman see the error of her ways, but it's worth a shot and would make me feel a whole lot better for trying.

I'll update when I hear anything, and thanks again for the support.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco is a massive organisation though and the nasty cow who served you isn't important to them - she should be sacked for her attitude and her comments immediately. There is no excuse for behaving like this and she doesn't deserve to have a job where her role is to communicate with customers.:(:mad:
    Forum Member
    Tesco is a massive organisation though and the nasty cow who served you isn't important to them - she should be sacked for her attitude and her comments immediately. There is no excuse for behaving like this and she doesn't deserve to have a job where her role is to communicate with customers.:(:mad:

I agree, especially when so many people need jobs at the moment, people like this shouldn't be working with the public - because *shock, horror* society is diverse. Not everyone will meet your standard of being 'normal'.
    Honestly, my sister would do a much better job, she's great with people. It would just be nice if people could be nice back to her.
    She's 4 years older than me and I have to play the big sister role, looking out for her, sticking up for her if someone bullies her - sadly it happens a lot.

I hate that I always have to defend her to other people, or 'explain' her to them. Why can't people just accept that everyone is different, with different abilities, and see her as a person? Having a learning disability does not mean you're stupid, or deaf and can't hear what people are saying, or that you don't have feelings... (vent, moan, etc :o )

I haven't had a proper reply yet, but I've posted a print-out copy and sent it to head office. Fingers crossed they reply soon.
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd update, I had a reply today (I blanked out the store name)
    Thank you for your email addressed to Sir Terry Leahy, our Chief Executive. As Sir Terry is currently out of the office, I have been asked to reply on his behalf.

I was very concerned to learn of the problems you have experienced recently at our ***** Express store. We always aim to provide the very best customer service and I sincerely apologise that we have failed to do so.

I have been in touch with the Duty Manager at ***** Express who was equally concerned to learn of the problems you have experienced. Due to the nature of these incidents we have agreed that this matter should be addressed by the Store Manager himself. Unfortunately, the Store Manager is out of the business until Wednesday so there will be a slight delay in our investigations. Please be assured that I will be back in touch as soon as I have spoken to him.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards

Liam Reid
    Customer Service Executive

Looks like they are taking it seriously :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    summerain wrote: »

That's excellent news, I wish you all the best with it :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only just caught up with this thread. If they don't take this seriously I would suggest contacting the newdesk at your local paper. I can't remember the last time I read something on here that made me feel SO angry.

Best of luck and please update us.

OMG how could anyone behave like that???????? It just makes me want to scream.
  • bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets hope they do something summerain although that letter is a good start. I didn't see your thread originally but have been incensed reading it through today.

There is simply no excuse for such behaviour and while imo it should be a sackable offense i fear it will be one word against the other in this scenario and nothing except maybe a reprimand will be the result. Hopefully the very fact that you have complained will make the woman in question think twice before open her trap again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Good to see they are taking it seriously. I wonder if it will be resolved by training or sacking the person. If she was that insensitive i suspect getting the sack is the only thing that will get her attention.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a quick response from head office and sounds promising - I just hope the Manager is up to the job of disciplinary action for the member of staff concerned. Did any other customers hear her outrageous remarks about your sister?
    I agree with the poster who suggested contacting your local newspaper - make this woman realise her behaviour is despicable and totally out of order in every respect.
  • ~Polecat~~Polecat~ Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I have been following your thread Summerain and as the others have said I am shocked and appalled at the disgusting behaviour & attitude this 'woman' has shown.

I'm glad you have had a response so quickly and I really hope she faces some sort of disciplinary action. :mad:

Your family must be very proud of you standing up for your sister like this.

You go girl!!! :D
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    As a disabled person, I'm disgusted at that. You should definitely complain to the manager. I hope they sack her.
  • Shirt SlicerShirt Slicer Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the fact that you were behind your sister and the dumbass woman didn't notice. I hate people who make that kind of comment, in public no less, so it's great that it looks like she'll get some sort of retribution.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Sorry, just noticed you had already complained when I made my post. They should fire her. She doesn't deserve a job. Nasty bitch.
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is that its a good job it was you and not me standing in that queaue as I think I might have smacked the nasty ignorant bitch! I'd certainly have her a good verbal tongue lashing:mad:

Ive worked in shops before and ive worked people who will take it upon themselves to make comments about customers, but its usually when they and other customers are out of ear shot and they have been rude and awkward.

I'd have taken the girls name and gone straight to the manager.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only just read this thread and I'm absolutely disgusted that anyone could be so rude!!!

Tesco may use the old chestnut of "retraining the employee", but personally I would insist on a personal apology, from the loudmouth for starters.

Good luck, and keep on their tails.

Ohh!! I'm so angry for you:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you seem to be getting somewhere summerain :)

Just a thought (sorry if it's been asked before) but have you kept the till receipt? It should have the cashier's name on the bottom. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is disgusting op! I am so angry! I hope you get a swift respose back when the Manager is in, what a disgrace that 'person' was to make a comment like that. I'd never, ever even think something like that when I worked in a shop, let alone say it!

keep us posted
  • rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justamo wrote: »
    I have only just read this thread and I'm absolutely disgusted that anyone could be so rude!!!

Tesco may use the old chestnut of "retraining the employee", but personally I would insist on a personal apology, from the loudmouth for starters.

Good luck, and keep on their tails.

Ohh!! I'm so angry for you:mad:

that's corporate speak for we don't give a toss about you, just keep spending here. That just about sums up tesco.
    They dont care about their staff or customers, all they care about is the money going in the tills. It's not as good a firm to work for as they try to make out .
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep going summerain. Thanks for the update too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rob_bangor wrote: »
    that's corporate speak for we don't give a toss about you, just keep spending here. That just about sums up tesco.
    They dont care about their staff or customers, all they care about is the money going in the tills. It's not as good a firm to work for as they try to make out .

This is exactly the reason I suggested to summerrain that she requested a personal apology at the very least!!

I am still incensed at the situation, and the only chink of light is that summerrain's sister was unaware of the insult!!

Just want to add that as I said once before in another thread...

summerrain your sister is so lucky to have a lovely sister like you.x
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    It's so difficult to prove these things I'm afraid, so it might be quite tough for the local paper to take things forward. However I'd certainly threaten them with it. If nothing else staff will certainly be on notice from now on to behave themselves, so hopefully there will be no repeat.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summerain wrote: »

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that anything will come of it. What is more likely to happen, is that the manager is a spotty oik, all of twenty and is sh!t scared of the middle aged witches who really run the store. He will either say to her " 'ere you know that daft retard you joked about the other day, well they've only gone an complained. LOL HAHAHAHA." Or he will just ignore entirely. This "Customer Service Executive" will call in a couple of days and ask him if he has dealt with it. He will "yeah I 'ad a word." and that will be the end of it.

What you need to do is to write back and tell them that you consider this to a matter for a more senior manager to deal with and should not be left to some at store level. Insist that you get a written letter of apology from the member of staff involved and a confirmation that she has been dealt with by someone from within the CEO's office.

Speaking as a father of a son who has severe learning difficulties, I used to ignore such attitudes, but I just got so fed up with making excuses for them. Whenever I hear such comments aimed at him I make a stand at the time and as public as possible causing them as much shame and embarrassment as I possibly can.