Options

Cat with a croaky 'meow'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
Forum Member
I'm a new cat owner, so it's all a bit new to me :o I adopted a beautiful 4 y/o tabby rescue cat, Rosie, 3 weeks ago. She's my first cat ever so we're still getting used to each other!

I noticed this morning as she was meowing at me while I was making her breakfast, that her 'voice' sounds very croaky. Almost like a human would sound a bit hoarse. She's eating and drinking fine, is happy to play and seems her usual self (though I only have 3 weeks to compare it to!)

Should I be worried? She absolutely hated being in her cat box when we brought her home, so I don't want to put her through the trauma of a trip to the vet unless I need to.

Comments

• Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most cats hate being in cat boxes and will wail the whole journey.....the main trauma is to the owner not the animal!

As for the croak, why not ring the rescue centre to see if they had noticed the croaky meow, as a starting point. As you have only just got your cat, it would be a good idea to take her to the vets anyway for a general check-up and it would give you a good time to mention it. May be something as simple as a sore throat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That might be a good idea actually. She had a clean bill of health from the shelter, but it can't hurt to get her registered with the local vet and get it checked out at the same time. I just feel so bad for her, with her meowing the whole journey!

She seems fine now, she meowed a little when I was making her supper and it sounded back to normal. Maybe something just got caught in her throat this morning? Typical me, worrying about every little cough and burp :o hehe.

I love her to bits, it feels like we've had her for much longer, I can't imagine the place without her now.

Thanks so much for replying! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    That might be a good idea actually. She had a clean bill of health from the shelter, but it can't hurt to get her registered with the local vet and get it checked out at the same time. I just feel so bad for her, with her meowing the whole journey!

She seems fine now, she meowed a little when I was making her supper and it sounded back to normal. Maybe something just got caught in her throat this morning? Typical me, worrying about every little cough and burp :o hehe.

I love her to bits, it feels like we've had her for much longer, I can't imagine the place without her now.

Thanks so much for replying! :)

Good luck.....I suggest earplugs!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    It may just be her meow. Siamese have a distinctive, croaky almost baby-like meow, maybe she's part-Siamese (my two are and one is a tabby - one has more of a Siamese call/meow than the other).

Also, cats will make different meows when it suits. My two both gurgle when they're hungry and when I'm feeding them. They have a gurgley/croaky meow. Other times, a normal meow, and sometimes an almighty howl. :D

If it happens when you feed her, I just think she's hungry and she's telling you she's hungry.

PS I like her name, very cute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have so much to learn - they have different tones of 'meow'?!

I heard a different tone and thought she had laryngitis or something! I feel silly now. :o Her usually 'meow' returned at suppertime. I bet she thinks I'm daft, I was checking her all over and I've been following her about all day to make sure she's okay!

And thanks :) we spent ages thinking of a nice name, then when we brought her home it came to me and I thought it really suited her. She's such a sweet little thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have so much to learn - they have different tones of 'meow'?!

I heard a different tone and thought she had laryngitis or something! I feel silly now. :o Her usually 'meow' returned at suppertime. I bet she thinks I'm daft, I was checking her all over and I've been following her about all day to make sure she's okay!

And thanks :) we spent ages thinking of a nice name, then when we brought her home it came to me and I thought it really suited her. She's such a sweet little thing.

That's ok :), she sounds lovely.

They have several different calls, chirrups, wails and meows. The gurgley/croaky one is quite cute though. I normally get both of them padding up and down on my tummy, swishing their tails and gurgling/croaking away...so I know that they want something to eat. If I ignore it (to my peril), I'll be responded with a wail sometimes but more often than not a huffy "hmmpf!" whilst one throws himself on the floor at my feet in a tantrum.

....yes you have lots to learn, I'm still learning too but it's fun! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh and the cat box. If she hates it now, she will forever unless she gets used to it as something else. If you leave it out with a blanket in it and some toys, she'll get used to it as another bed/den, etc so that when you do have to take her to the vet, it won't be so traumatic for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wait to hear the throaty 'clicky' sound when she is sitting next to the window and can see a bird outside!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boy huffs and sighs sometimes -- freaked out one of my friends when they were alone together for a time :D

He also occasionally groans (sort of a growl I guess?) when looking out the window at the wildlife, which can be very annoying in the early hours when you are trying to sleep.
  • Options
    sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi OP,

has your cat been sick? My cat often has a croaky miaow after she's puked up a furball- it's very croaky today as she produced 3 over night- one on my bed!
  • Options
    fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    The silent miaow's the most fascinating of all. :):)
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fancynancy wrote: »
    The silent miaow's the most fascinating of all. :):)

Ah, the silent miaow, the highest compliment a cat can pay you.:D
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Maine ****'s got quite a wide variety of miaows. There's the "Oh God, I'm going to throw up" miaow (very loud), the "Excuse me, the food bowl's empty again" one, the "I'm very happy and I love you all" miaow (mixed up with loud purrs), and a unique one that I've not heard any of our other cats do - the "I'm having a moan and I'm NOT happy" miaow! The last one sounds exactly like a human muttering under their breath, it's really strange!

Oldest cat is a master of the silent miaow, or sometimes the half-miaow ("mi" or "aow", but not both), but when he comes back from the cattery, for a few days he has a real yowling miaow. He sits on the doorstep making a hell of a racket and shows us up! After about a week, he's back to his silent miaow again.
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I open the door and call Fergus in he saunters down the path and the noise he makes sounds just like he is saying hello and if I say hello back to him he does it again. :D
    Cats have lots of different meows, you will learn them all in time.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lilly chirrups a greeting first thing in the morning when you go to feed her.

She has a slightly croaky"wow" sound when she wants you to go and look at her empty food bowl.

She also has the most reproachful miaow when she is shut in the utility room and wants to come into the rest of the house.

She makes all manner of strange squeaking ans clicking noises when she is watching birds through the window.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sesmo wrote: »
    Hi OP,

has your cat been sick? My cat often has a croaky miaow after she's puked up a furball- it's very croaky today as she produced 3 over night- one on my bed!

Not that I've noticed. I have yet to experience a furball :D looking forward to it! lol
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I've noticed. I have yet to experience a furball :D looking forward to it! lol

I don't know why they call them furballs. More like fursticks !
    My cats have never bought up anything other than long sausage type sticks of matted fur amongst the goo that goes with it. Took me a while to realise that these were the famous furballs I'd heard so much about.:D

Welcome to catworld summerain. You're going to have a great time being a cat slave:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat when I was growing up, Schrody, she used to have a whole range of meows and once I was copying her and doing meows back at her. After a while of this 'conversation' she got up off the chair, walked over to me and bit me on the hand (just softly) as if to say "stop copying me" or maybe I insulted her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My cat when I was growing up, Schrody, she used to have a whole range of meows and once I was copying her and doing meows back at her. After a while of this 'conversation' she got up off the chair, walked over to me and bit me on the hand (just softly) as if to say "stop copying me" or maybe I insulted her?

She was "kissing" you, telling you she loved you. Cat nibbles are another thing to look forward to, it's their way of telling you they love you. Both mine do it, one likes to nibble me on the back of my arm, the other one will give me a little lick on the wrist and then a nibble of the hand. When both are in a real lovey-dovey mood, they will try to wash my hair and start chewing my buttons. Daft things.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Taken to the vet's for a croaky meow, PMSL, the little dear wouldn't thank you for that. They make all sorts of funny noises, varies hugely from cat to cat. Some breeds have their own noises too. Mine are chatterboxes, always got something to say, and sometimes it doesn't come out right, just like humans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    She was "kissing" you, telling you she loved you. Cat nibbles are another thing to look forward to, it's their way of telling you they love you. Both mine do it, one likes to nibble me on the back of my arm, the other one will give me a little lick on the wrist and then a nibble of the hand. When both are in a real lovey-dovey mood, they will try to wash my hair and start chewing my buttons. Daft things.

I'd like to think that she was saying that, but it was very much a "stop it!" bite!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Taken to the vet's for a croaky meow, PMSL, the little dear wouldn't thank you for that. They make all sorts of funny noises, varies hugely from cat to cat. Some breeds have their own noises too. Mine are chatterboxes, always got something to say, and sometimes it doesn't come out right, just like humans.

Am I right in thinking you've got Maine Coons, or was that someone else? Just wondered if anyone else's Maine Coons muttered under their breath like mine does! :)
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking you've got Maine Coons, or was that someone else? Just wondered if anyone else's Maine Coons muttered under their breath like mine does! :)

I have 2 of them, both sitting on my hands here, excuse the typing errors if any. Yes, crooning, chattering, clicking, meowing, though a fairly weedy meow, but mostly purring. They purr when you look at them or talk to them, and scratch their ears on my stubble. I'm glad they are so eager to be friendly though, as Leo's paws are now about 50mm, with claws to match. He has taken to scratching the laundry basket in the last couple of weeks, and nearly killed it. He is currently attacking my shoelaces:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I have 2 of them, both sitting on my hands here, excuse the typing errors if any. Yes, crooning, chattering, clicking, meowing, though a fairly weedy meow, but mostly purring. They purr when you look at them or talk to them, and scratch their ears on my stubble. I'm glad they are so eager to be friendly though, as Leo's paws are now about 50mm, with claws to match. He has taken to scratching the laundry basket in the last couple of weeks, and nearly killed it. He is currently attacking my shoelaces:D

Bless! I've never heard a cat purr as much as our Maine ****, he sounds like a little engine. We have quite detailed conversations sometime! Ours has also nearly killed a laundry basket, but his absolute favourite is supermarket bags (the reusable ones). I keep having to ask for new ones because the old ones are covered in toothmarks!