Options

Gumtree: Not a place to buy and sell animals

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    My feelings too. My dog was ill-treated by the kindly old (blind) lady who was given her to help her. She came back to me a nervous wreck. Should I ever meet that old dear I will have no hesitation in slapping her hard. Old cow!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you'll probably still doubt the sincerity of the man but he's just sent us two emails.

The first one was to my Mum, and he informed us the puppy was fine in the car journey and has been sniffing around the new home and playing with her toys on the living room floor. He took her for a walk and when they returned home she went to sleep on her little bed, and in general her tail has been wagging and she's been no trouble at all.

The second one was for my little sister, and he said he hopes she's okay and promises he'll look after the puppy and give her the best life he can. He posted a picture of her lying in her bed, and posted two videos of her walking around her new living room and sniffing. House seemed fine, she seemed to be settling in well and the owner seemed very good with her.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I know you'll probably still doubt the sincerity of the man but he's just sent us two emails.

The first one was to my Mum, and he informed us the puppy was fine in the car journey and has been sniffing around the new home and playing with her toys on the living room floor. He took her for a walk and when they returned home she went to sleep on her little bed, and in general her tail has been wagging and she's been no trouble at all.

The second one was for my little sister, and he said he hopes she's okay and promises he'll look after the puppy and give her the best life he can. He posted a picture of her lying in her bed, and posted two videos of her walking around her new living room and sniffing. House seemed fine, she seemed to be settling in well and the owner seemed very good with her.

For Safety's sake I would never sell an animal off without checking the home environment it will be subjected to. You got lucky but just as easily you could have ended up giving your dog away to an abuser.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Hopefully this guy is genuine and your dog will get the love, attention and TRAINING she deserves.

I find it very interesting that you chose not to answer my previous question as to whether puppy training classes had been tried.

I urge you and your parents to consider in future what is required to be a responsible dog owner as clearly none of you have a clue. Your mum's friend is no breeder either, just someone out to make some money. Any proper breeder will take the puppy back no matter what their circumstances.

Next time your family want a pet, get a goldfish.

It truly maddens me to hear stories like this about people who have a whim and then when it's not as easy as they thought just pass the problem on to the next person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    Hopefully this guy is genuine and your dog will get the love, attention and TRAINING she deserves.

I find it very interesting that you chose not to answer my previous question as to whether puppy training classes had been tried.

I urge you and your parents to consider in future what is required to be a responsible dog owner as clearly none of you have a clue. Your mum's friend is no breeder either, just someone out to make some money. Any proper breeder will take the puppy back no matter what their circumstances.

Next time your family want a pet, get a goldfish.

It truly maddens me to hear stories like this about people who have a whim and then when it's not as easy as they thought just pass the problem on to the next person.

No, puppy training classes had not been tried.

It's already done now, the puppy is at her new home and we know never to think about getting another pet again unless we can committ. We weren't the first and won't be the last family to "give up", and i'm sorry if it bothers you but just because we didn't pay for classes (the breeder assured us that although she was very hyper, she would calm down eventually and there was no need to be concerned) doesn't mean we didn't try with the dog. We were very consistant. What more do you want me to say?
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Shadow2009;55811696 No, puppy training classes had not been tried

It's already done now, the puppy is at her new home and we know never to think about getting another pet again unless we can committ. We weren't the first and won't be the last family to "give up", and i'm sorry if it bothers you but just because we didn't pay for classes (the breeder assured us that although she was very hyper, she would calm down eventually and there was no need to be concerned) doesn't mean we didn't try with the dog. We were very consistant. What more do you want me to say?[/QUOTE]

No need to say anything more, you said it all in the first line of your post.

It beggars belief that you didn't take a hyperactive dog to classes. As for the "breeder" .... she is nothing of the sort :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    We got our puppy from a local breeder. My mum's friend. We got her when she was four weeks old, i've no idea if that's "too soon" to be removed from her mother, though.

As I said in my other thread ("out of control springer spaniel puppy!"), we wanted to return the puppy to the breeder but unfortunately the breeder had already taken two puppies back, and since she has three other dogs plus kids and a job, we didn't feel it was fair to give her back. Plus, she'd just get attached to her mother again and then would need to be seperated again.

Of course a good home would be "enough", but surely there's more chance of her going to a good home that are willing to pay money for her instead of just advertising her for free.

Hello there, I'm afraid that is WAY TOO SOON for her to be removed from her Mother and the breeder should have known this. The puppies behaviour will have stemmed from not being with her Mother long enough and not been taught certain behaviours. Dogs should be with their Mothers for at least 8 weeks, if they are removed before this time it will cause behavioural and psychological damage. I strongly suggest you report this breeder to the Kennel Club or the RSPCA, no proper breeder would do something so cruel.

No disrespect Shadow, but you really should have done your research before buying a puppy.

The fact that other puppies have been returned to the breeder just emphasises the above.

I am really disappointed in this whole situation :( Did you at least let the buyer know her history and that she has been taken from her mother too soon? If not, I suggest you contact him to let him know. Otherwise who knows where the poor little thing will end up.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The breeder needs reporting to the authorities for letting pups go at 4 weeks :mad:

This whole situation has been a cock-up from the very beginning with only one victim..........the little pup, that a) didn't ask to be brought into the world and b) deserves so much more than life has dealt her in her short life already.

It absolutely maddens me that living beings are being treated like computer games that get moved on once you've had enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 said they got the date wrong and the puppy was actually about 8 weeks when they got her.

I was just catching up on the original thread and Shadow says that the breeder has already taken back 2 of the puppys and advised them to put the pup on Gumtree as she had done with her own pups. To me this is the pefect illustration of why Gumtree is a bad thing. The woman bred her dog, stuck the puppies on Gumtree and sold them to whoever came along. One of them had to be returned because the new owner was mistreating the pup, one because the owner died (which could happen to anyone of course) and one was sold to Shadows family who obviously had no idea about what was involved in taking on a SS puppy.

To the breeders credit she did take back 2 of the pups, but proper breeders have long waiting lists and do thorough checks on the people who are taking the pups. Gumtree has just proliferated the number of people casually breeding dogs for profit and selling them to whoever comes along. Hopefully the hassle this has caused her will mean she gets her dog spayed!

Hopefully Shadows dog has been lucky, but if they had followed my original advice and given the dog to a spaniel rescue they would have 100% peace of mind that the dog was going to a great new home.
  • Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I truly hope this thread makes people really think about the dangers of buying / selling animals on sites like Gumtree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missjef wrote: »
    I truly hope this thread makes people really think about the dangers of buying / selling animals on sites like Gumtree.

Me too. Can't stop thinking about Shadow's puppy :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soapoholic wrote: »

She's fine. We've been sent more videos and pictures and was informed she slept all night (although she didn't want to sleep in her 'new bed' and instead chose to lay on the bed she had at this house) and was snoring for hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I got my collie from Gumtree 2 years ago - I'd not long had my mongrel pts and there was a massive dog shaped gap in my life.
    She was advertised as free to good home. She was 6, neutered and apparently her owner had died and the son didn't want her.
    I knew she was coming to a good home but the guy rehoming her couldn't get rid of her quick enough! He didn't want to know anything about me or how I'd look after the dog.
    She's a fantastic dog. He'd apparently tried to get her into the local dogs home but they were full. I don't know if it was true or not but I do know that she's got a home for life.

I also got a young cockatiel from Gumtree then a few months later rehomed a 2 year old cockatiel so they were company for one another. Again not a question was asked! The two birds are also here for their lifetimes.

I do get angry at all the rehoming going on - I do my research about life expectancy etc before deciding on a pet. When I see adverts for rehoming of youngish animals due to pregnancy, change of job etc it makes me mad because they've obviously not thought through what having an animal means. However I have 3 fantastic pets that I wouldn't have if it wasn't for gumtree.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Soapoholic wrote: »

Nor me :( the chances are she will end up puppy farming when she is old enough, it is rife when dogs are sold in such an awful way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be so abruft/rude/offensive but people like Shadow and their family make me sick. Why do people buy pets when they have no clue what they're doing...even down to what age a puppy can leave it's mum.

Having a pet join your family should be a lifelong committment with prior planning into all of the 'what ifs'.

I really hope Shadow and family never get another pet...unless like someone said earlier it is a goldfish.

Anyway... I spotted this earlier today http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/dogue-de-bordeaux-for-sale/94341711 ...poor doggy. 'First to see will buy' ...he's not a car FFS!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garlic wrote: »
    Sorry to be so abruft/rude/offensive but people like Shadow and their family make me sick. Why do people buy pets when they have no clue what they're doing...even down to what age a puppy can leave it's mum.

Having a pet join your family should be a lifelong committment with prior planning into all of the 'what ifs'.

I really hope Shadow and family never get another pet...unless like someone said earlier it is a goldfish.

Anyway... I spotted this earlier today http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/dogue-de-bordeaux-for-sale/94341711 ...poor doggy. 'First to see will buy' ...he's not a car FFS!

Poor dog. It makes me sick to see adverts like that, i think it shows that the people care more about getting money back than what kind of home their dog ends up in.

There is no way i could or would be willing to give up a loved family pet on a website like this to the first person to view. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow, Bless her, she probably wanted something familiar after being shipped from pillar to post.

Bafty, I am glad that you were the person to adopt the dog and I am disgusted to hear about the b*****d who wanted rid. I am pleased that you have two birds as well and yet again even more b*****ds wanting to get rid :mad:

I do understand that if it wasn't for Gumtree you wouldn't have adopted these lovely pets but not everyone is like you so I really wish that Gumtree would stop allowing pets to be sold/given away on the site. A part of me does ask what would happen to the animals if they can't be re-homed. Although some may end up in rescue centres, I don't even want to imagine what could happen to the others :(

2shy, I am just hoping this person is genuine and will be able to deal with her behavioural problems. I guess we'll never know :(

Garlic, couldn't agree with you more. You certainly haven't come across as abrupt, rude or offensive. I think there should be a law on people having animals, pigs would fly before that happens though. The animal welfare law that is already in force is very basic.

I am tempted to contact the person selling the dog on Gumtree and give them a hard time but I know it wouldn't make any difference. Perhaps if I was polite? Don't think it would change their minds but possibly prick their conscience.

Missjeff, completely agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member

Well said xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't believe this advert...http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/american-bulldog-pure-white-open-to-offers-needs-to-go-today/94526641

"Female American bulldog 9months old great with kids selling as it's to big and dont have time open to offers cash or swops"

Just noticed this too...

"7 gorgeous ginger with black markings baby rabbits 10 each or two for 18 as need them rehoming so I can mate them again in spring"

Why are people so unkind and greedy?!

I visit Gumtree everyday as one of my cats went missing on New Years Eve and I'm hoping that if someone finds her they will put an advert up.

It breaks my heart to see these animals treated so poorly! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe this advert...http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/american-bulldog-pure-white-open-to-offers-needs-to-go-today/94526641

"Female American bulldog 9months old great with kids selling as it's to big and dont have time open to offers cash or swops"

:mad: i honestly despair!
    it's gotten too big so they are just getting rid! i think they NEED to bring in some kind of laws in which people are vetted before being able to buy dogs. It's just outrageous how some people feel its perfectly fine to buy dogs then just toss them aside when they become too big or too much of a handful.
    I think anyone that does this should also be banned from ever owning another dog, as they clearly can't cope with them.

Garlic - i hope you find your cat x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thankyou Missjef, I've been cooking kippers and mackerel on the BBQ every couple of days and I've rang alll of the local vets, put up posters and asked neighbours but still no luck. The vets have suggested that as she's a Bengal she is prone to wandering so hopefuly she'll wander back home soon.

And you are right, Gumtree really do need to ban pet adverts and people who get rid of pets just because they're bored and the novelty has worn off should be fined and/or banned from keeping animals.

I have just sent a message suggesting they try a rescue centre so they know the dog is going to a good place. I think the chances of them doing that are slim though, greed will prevail unfortunately!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou Missjef, I've been cooking kippers and mackerel on the BBQ every couple of days and I've rang alll of the local vets, put up posters and asked neighbours but still no luck. The vets have suggested that as she's a Bengal she is prone to wandering so hopefuly she'll wander back home soon.

And you are right, Gumtree really do need to ban pet adverts and people who get rid of pets just because they're bored and the novelty has worn off should be fined and/or banned from keeping animals.

I have just sent a message suggesting they try a rescue centre so they know the dog is going to a good place. I think the chances of them doing that are slim though, greed will prevail unfortunately!

Ive got my fingers crossed for you that she ll come back!

I know there are a few people on here who have given good loving homes to pets from gumtree, but i honestly hope they do ban people from being able to advertise pets on there - especially dogs.
    How anyone could give up a dog to just anyone who turns up is completely beyond me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you find your cat too, Garlic. Thinking of you. Good idea to contact the person in that advert suggesting a rescue, lets hope they take your advice.

That advert makes my blood boil, Missjef. Why don't people research how big a puppy is likely to grow when they first get it! Who knows where the poor mite will end up now :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading this thread, for some reason this evening i decided to have a browse of pets for sale in my area on Gumtree, as i've never looked on the website before - minus obviously reading the ad's that posters have linked to on here..
    And i honestly have to say i completely regret even looking, it's making me feel quite upset , as well as being angry!

The amount of large dog breeds that people are wanting to get rid of at about 1 year old, just makes you realise how many people but get dogs & not realise just how much hard work they can be - by large dog breeds, i mean huskys / malamutes / akitas. :(

It's like people just see them as toys that they can toss aside. :rolleyes:

I just hope to god they all get the loving forever home they deserve!!

I also truly hope that Gumtree will eventually stop selling pets like this. I just can't believe people just don't seem to care who their pet goes to. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ad's like this break my heart - why on earth would a "break down in relationship" mean you had to sell your 9 month old husky, why couldn't one of them keep him? :rolleyes:
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/full-pedigree-siberian-husky-for-sale/94348385

I wish there was some kind of "vetting" system in place where people had to go through a registration process before getting a pet dog. Because i think it is just so so easy for people to buy puppies on websites like Gumtree - for example husky pups, because they are beautiful looking dogs, without realizing any of the hard work they take, so then they end up having to be rehomed...

I have a thing about huskys - we have a huskamute (husky x malamute) who we rehomed & the previous owners had just got him because they liked the film "whitefang" & they told us he only needed 1 walk a day - :eek:
    As if!! luckily my step dad has had alaskan breeds of dog before so knew exactly what they were getting into with him, but he'd already been rehomed once before, so i think its especially breeds like this that are prone to going from home to home because people just don't seem to realise just how much effort it takes to look after them! :(

Also it really frustrates me that none of the people selling breeds like huskys on Gumtree put in the advert that they do need a LOT of exercise - which i think is something that should be pointed out.