Dog has hurt his back leg..Advice on pain killer?

ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
Forum Member
✭✭
One of my dogs seems to have hurt one of his back legs while running down the stairs. He has a slight limp and cant get up on the couch (his favourite place to sleep.)

I intend to take him to the vet in the morning if there's no improvement and he doesn't seem to be in distress or severe pain so I dont think it merits an emergency call out but I was just wondering if there is anything I can give him to take the edge off til morning.

I have some baby Calpol, would a half dose be okay? Any advice or suggestions gratefully recieved.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boy did exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago. He tripped when he was bolting up the stairs and was limping afterwards. He didn't seem unduly bothered so I just made him rest it and he was fine in 2 days. I was ready to take him to the vet but he was absolutely fine. I shouldn't think it would be wise to give your dog anything. Just take him to the vet if you are still worried tomorrow.
    I wish him better soon. Its such a worry isn't it?
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what breed/weight is your dog?

our vet suggested giving our collie half of a 500mg paracetamol tablet for hip pain
    she is between 20-24 kilos
    could be an idea?
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a cocker spaniel. 24kgs.:o He does like the odd pizza crust so I guess his weight isn't helping.

But thanks for understanding. Mr L is looking at me as if I've just grown horns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ValLambert wrote: »
    He's a cocker spaniel. 24kgs.:o He does like the odd pizza crust so I guess his weight isn't helping.

Pizza crust was my cocker spaniel's no 1 favourite!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are considering giving your dog any human medication check with a qualified vet first. You emergency vet should be able to advise over the phone.

Some human medicines are suitable for dogs under vet supervision More than weight should be taken into account such as liver function, age, previous medical history. And, as I think xdow implies, breed. For example, Invemectin (used in a particular flea treatment) is poisonous to collies but other breeds are fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with StressMonkey to be wary of giving human medicines. Once he's settled down for the night I doubt he'll be in much pain. When you think that something as innocent as grapes can be harmful to dogs I'd be really worried about administering medicines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add - I don't know if Calpol contains it, but there is a sweetener that is poisonous to dogs - Xylitol. Perfectly safe for humans, so might be used in medicine (Don't know - would have to check labels)

So even if a medicine is OK for dogs, the carrier might not be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello.

thank you for all your advice. I went with just letting him sleep in my bed in the end.

Seemingly he has "staved" his back leg. Is this vetspeak for sore leg? But he's to rest and keep off it for a few days which is very difficult since my other spaniels idea of a good day is chase me or I'll lick your face for hours til you do and he's not being left alone.

But thanks for helping. It was good to ask people who would understand. Mr L thinks I care about them more than my child. It's more like having three children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the update VL:) Glad it isn't too serious.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    xdow wrote: »
    what breed/weight is your dog?

our vet suggested giving our collie half of a 500mg paracetamol tablet for hip pain
    she is between 20-24 kilos
    could be an idea?

When our dog had a sore tooth we asked the vet if we could give him paracetamol and he said no way.It was my father in law who told us to do it.He's a dog breeder and done it for years.We didn't take the risk though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    When our dog had a sore tooth we asked the vet if we could give him paracetamol and he said no way.It was my father in law who told us to do it.He's a dog breeder and done it for years.We didn't take the risk though.

My vet told me to give my dog paracetamol when he damaged his leg. I used to give it to him when his joints played up in the winter aswell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add, my vet told us not to give our dog paracetamol, but that a dose of ibuprofen occasionally would be fine, but not too often as it can upset a dog's stomach.

This was when my dog's hips were starting to deteriorate, just before he was diagnosed with Arthritis and it seemed to help quite significantly on his bad days.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    So whats going on with these vets ? How can one say yes and another say no ? Surely there must be a consensus.We had the same kind of advice about vaccinations too.A vet in our family says not to bother with annual injections as they aren't needed but are seen as easy income for vets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So whats going on with these vets ? How can one say yes and another say no ? Surely there must be a consensus.We had the same kind of advice about vaccinations too.A vet in our family says not to bother with annual injections as they aren't needed but are seen as easy income for vets.

I'd hazard a guess that it's because paracetamol is a pain-killer whereas ibuprofen is primarily an anti-inflammatory, so it would be dependant on the type of injury.

AFAIK the vaccinations debate is still a contentious one among vets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My vet says that too and recommends every three to five years but our insurance policy will seemingly be declared void if I let the yearly ones lapse.
  • goonerladygoonerlady Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My vet says that too and recommends every three to five years but our insurance policy will seemingly be declared void if I let the yearly ones lapse.

That is very interesting my husband always says once a year is a rip off.Going back to the old days we never had our dogs vaccinated.Though both my dogs will be vaccinated once a year(they are both young so have not had the reminders yet).We were told that there can be parvo at the dog beach so we will not take any chances.

Hope your dogs leg is feeling a bit better.They always look so sad when they are not well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JackBoe has problems with his back leg. When he is in pain, he'll hide away and cry. We took him to the vets and they gave us medicene, and said if no change within the week, we will X-Ray him, we havent had that done, but when I stroke his leg (his favourite place), it feels like its clciking in and out of place, though it doesnt give him pain anymore.

Hope your bog feels better soon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hazard a guess that it's because paracetamol is a pain-killer whereas ibuprofen is primarily an anti-inflammatory, so it would be dependant on the type of injury.

AFAIK the vaccinations debate is still a contentious one among vets.

As a rule of thumb, you should not give your pet human-formula aspirin, paracetamol or ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory). Sometimes the make-up is different to that produced specifically for veterinary use and often the "carrier" (the other substances in the medication such as the flavouring, the glazing, etc) is dangerous if used in animals.

The vaccination debate is certainly not a contentious issue among vets. It is the biggest thorn in vets' sides that so many animals (particularly but not only dogs) have to be put to sleep because they have not been vaccinated and have contracted preventable fatal illnesses. Not vaccinating is irresponsible. If you hear a vet say you don't have to vaccinate, run a million miles.

What is debatable is the benefit of giving an animal a vaccination when it is on medication for another condition (eg antibiotics) or when its body is also trying to fight off another condition (eg kennel cough). Both of these issues can reduce the efficacy of the vaccine but some vets will still vaccinate under these conditions (often the lesser of two evils if you are met with an owner who is not going to keep their animals in or away from other animals under any circumstances) and some vets won't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I don't know about paracetomol but I have an opinion on injections. I do not have my dogs injected annualy. There is no proof fewer dogs die from disease that have been injected than those that have not. There is proof that a lot of dogs react badly to injections and many die as a result.
    It is an easy money spinner for the vets.
    :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member

I'm a vet nurse, in 20 yoears Ive never heard a vet reccomend paracetamol, by far the opposite. It may be ok for a larger dog, but so easy to overdose. it has an accumulative effect as well. I myself will not take the stuff as it has such disasterous effects on the liver if taken to much.
    Half a paracetamol will kill a cat.
    Encouraging the public to self medicate pets is a foolhardy route to follow, whos to say if someone is told it is ok to give their Lab a nurofen, they wont twig, and do the same with their yorkie?
    Ive seen pets die from paracetamol overdose, and nasty repercussions for ibruprofen overdose.
    Not worth the risk.
    Mild lameness can usually be resolved afters a days strict rest, if there is no improvement after that, then seek your vet out.

ggrrr wish Id noticed how old this thread was!!!!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I agree with Simon11 - yearly vaccinations are unnecessary and can do more harm than good. My previous dog died 3 days after his booster injection and I know of others who have suffered too.
    Even the manufacturers don't recommend yearly boosters now.
  • wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow which insurance company do you have ??

This could be a crucial matter for discussion - it's something I haven't considered .

My friend worked at a dog sanctuary for over 20 years and never had less than 5 dogs at his home ( usually the ones nobody wanted) but NONE of them ever had injuections of any kind and none of them EVER contacted anything either . HE was working ona daily basis with sick dogs but he were fine ... makes you think that it may be a bit of a scam >>??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wsmansem wrote: »
    Wow which insurance company do you have ??

This could be a crucial matter for discussion - it's something I haven't considered .

My friend worked at a dog sanctuary for over 20 years and never had less than 5 dogs at his home ( usually the ones nobody wanted) but NONE of them ever had injuections of any kind and none of them EVER contacted anything either . HE was working ona daily basis with sick dogs but he were fine ... makes you think that it may be a bit of a scam >>??

More likely to be either adult dogs that had their puppy jabs & first booster or herd immunity.

There is an argument to switch to a 3 year protocol for boosters but I don't anyone would argue that dogs shouldn't be inoculated at all.
  • wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So can you name your Insurance company for us ??