Options

Where Can I Buy A Monkey?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    By showing a link to the prices they sell for, and the required information that needs to be presented to be considered by (what seems to be) a reliable website isnt encouraging the OP in my opinion. I agree keeping a monkey probably isnt a good idea (I would never keep them personally) but at the same time Im sure theres some dedicated keepers that can provide exactly the care and space they need, maybe more so than zoo's, so to say that its doubtful whether anyone (except for the authority that is zoo's and private parks I guess) could keep them wouldnt be true in my opinion, or at least I wouldnt believe it unless it was shown to be completly true.

I agree that adopting a monkey is a good idea.

I had a quick look through that site so I may have got it wrong but it seems to be a consultancy which sources "exotics" for their clients from around the world. They seem to be more focused on the "keeper" than on the animal. I'm not saying they're not legit, but the fact that they are offering these creatures for sale does not make it ok.

As for monkeys being kept by private individuals ... unless there are acres of land available & properly built enclosures where they can be kept in family groups as they would be in the wild and cared for by knowledgeable people, they should not ever be kept.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    LooWheeze wrote: »
    I had a quick look through that site so I may have got it wrong but it seems to be a consultancy which sources "exotics" for their clients from around the world. They seem to be more focused on the "keeper" than on the animal. I'm not saying they're not legit, but the fact that they are offering these creatures for sale does not make it ok.

As for monkeys being kept by private individuals ... unless there are acres of land available & properly built enclosures where they can be kept in family groups as they would be in the wild and cared for by knowledgeable people, they should not ever be kept.

I agree, I would be suprised if there arent any private primate keepers that meet all those requirements in the UK.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have the money, space, knowledge and experience to keep monkeys in such a way that they will be happy and thrive then fair enough. This is what (some) zoos and sanctuaries do.

However, I would think that there are very few people capable of doing so. If the OP has a few grand to spare and has extensive knowledge and experience of his chosen breed of monkey, go for it.

Otherwise, yeah, the 'adoption' approach is probably a better option. Twycross Zoo has a major monkey and ape breeding program and do adoptions - and you can gift aid your donations (if you work).

Or a toy monkey.:D

Or a Chinese Crested dog. Monkeys in a dog's body:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the money, space, knowledge and experience to keep monkeys in such a way that they will be happy and thrive then fair enough. This is what (some) zoos and sanctuaries do.

However, I would think that there are very few people capable of doing so. If the OP has a few grand to spare and has extensive knowledge and experience of his chosen breed of monkey, go for it.

Otherwise, yeah, the 'adoption' approach is probably a better option. Twycross Zoo has a major monkey and ape breeding program and do adoptions - and you can gift aid your donations (if you work).

Or a toy monkey.:D

Or a Chinese Crested dog. Monkeys in a dog's body:rolleyes:
    I think I'll go with adopting :).

I do like toy monkeys :o...

A Chinese Crested dog, well...that's...something :D.
  • Options
    QuicheofDeathQuicheofDeath Posts: 2,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sell Zebra's! I want a Zebra! And a liger.
  • Options
    geoffSFgeoffSF Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, my cousin had a monkey when we were little. That little asshole threw his food and his crap everywhere and would try to bite me when I got close to it. It was awful. They ended up getting sick of it and giving it to a zoo. Poor monkey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Why don't you phone up Monkey World and tell them what you are planning to do http://www.monkeyworld.co.uk/main.php.

Can't belive that in 2009 there are still people in the UK like you around.:mad: Sorry mate but you have made me very angry that you even had such a thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smjxm09 wrote: »
    Why don't you phone up Monkey World and tell them what you are planning to do http://www.monkeyworld.co.uk/main.php.

Can't belive that in 2009 there are still people in the UK like you around.:mad: Sorry mate but you have made me very angry that you even had such a thought.
    I would have thought that they would be quite happy that I was planning to adopt a monkey :confused:. All the money would go to rebuilding their habitat and whatnot :).
  • Options
    misshollandmissholland Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Harris_07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can by a monkey in the UK? And for how much?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated :).

Are you insane:eek::mad:It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep a monkey as a pet;it's cruel apart from everything else!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I think we've been through this already! The OP has listened to advice and decided on adopting a monkey, not actually buying one!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid quite a few people had monkeys and other such pets.
    I remember once , my brother and I were walking down our road and heard a noise, looked up and see two chips on a roof fully dressed in children's clothes.

Another time, I was getting off the bus at the top of my road and stroked this lovely strange brown dog , and the lady said its not a dog its a bear

Even in the 80s I see a cage of spider monkeys in a pet shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it not illegal to keep a monkey as a pet in the UK now?

Its not illegal to keep some species in the UK, some have been removed from the DWA list. However, anyone looking for help in finding one on here should be sorely disappointed.

Monkeys are not your average pet; they require CONSTANT love and attention, and it takes a special person to keep one.

I dont understand why anyone would want one unless they are stupid and cant see past the 'cute' factor. they are not always cute, they can be vicious. and the amount of care they need means the most likely outcome would be either neglect or abandonment...once they have wrecked every item of furniture in your home.

Yes, adopting would be a better idea!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you insane:eek::mad:It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep a monkey as a pet;it's cruel apart from everything else!

No, I'm not insane.

Its not impossible, people have done it and some people I know are still doing it.

I've said already that I'll be adopting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skimps wrote: »
    Its not illegal to keep some species in the UK, some have been removed from the DWA list. However, anyone looking for help in finding one on here should be sorely disappointed.

Monkeys are not your average pet; they require CONSTANT love and attention, and it takes a special person to keep one.

I dont understand why anyone would want one unless they are stupid and cant see past the 'cute' factor. they are not always cute, they can be vicious. and the amount of care they need means the most likely outcome would be either neglect or abandonment...once they have wrecked every item of furniture in your home.

Yes, adopting would be a better idea!!

I know :)!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust Harris to want a monkey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beardie_ wrote: »
    Trust Harris to want a monkey.

What's that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its not impossible, people have done it and some people I know are still doing it.

If you know people that have got monkeys, why did you need to ask for information on a forum?

Monkey World in Dorset would be able to advise you on adopting a monkey, as has been suggested already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's that supposed to mean?

:p
    You cant be normal, and want a cat/dog.
    You have to go that extra mile..
    Hey! Its a good thing ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    If you know people that have got monkeys, why did you need to ask for information on a forum?

Monkey World in Dorset would be able to advise you on adopting a monkey, as has been suggested already.

I asked on this forum because the people who I know who have monkeys are abroad. I was asking for information about inside the UK.

I'll give Monkey World a try, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beardie_ wrote: »
    :p
    You cant be normal, and want a cat/dog.
    You have to go that extra mile..
    Hey! Its a good thing ;)

Hell yeah, baby :D!
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just came across this

http://79.170.40.161/tskaexotics.co.uk/zen/

loooads of primates. sad really, but there you go
  • Options
    cyfrincyfrin Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet monkey keepers = bad news!
    So many wrongly class primates as pets, they are not pets, they are an exotic species.

The Animal Welfare Act clearly stipulates
    the following:

The need for a suitable environment

The need for a suitable diet

The Need to be able to Exhibit Normal Behaviour Patterns

Any need to be housed with or apart from, other animals

The need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease

IF this thread is not a wind up then I am glad to hear the OP has decided on adoption only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xdow wrote: »
    just came across this

http://79.170.40.161/tskaexotics.co.uk/zen/

loooads of primates. sad really, but there you go
    It is pretty sad.

A crocodile for £600 :eek:?
    cyfrin wrote: »
    Pet monkey keepers = bad news!
    So many wrongly class primates as pets, they are not pets, they are an exotic species.

The Animal Welfare Act clearly stipulates
    the following:

The need for a suitable environment

The need for a suitable diet

The Need to be able to Exhibit Normal Behaviour Patterns

Any need to be housed with or apart from, other animals

The need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease

IF this thread is not a wind up then I am glad to hear the OP has decided on adoption only.
    Its not a wind up and I have.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    I'd love a chimp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love a chimp

I feel the same way. It'd be so cool having a chimp around.

But then there's the risk to the animal and other stuff we need to consider.

Still...it'd be so cool.