Programmes you remember - but no one else does!

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of those Sunday evening period serials, shown, I think, in 1980, and featuring the antics of three mischievous teenage boys at a boarding school in the nineteenth century. The closing credits always showed them doing this odd little dance together. I cannot for the life of me remember the title. Does anyone else remember this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Pugwalls Summer? it was about a band in Australia
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    One of those Sunday evening period serials, shown, I think, in 1980, and featuring the antics of three mischievous teenage boys at a boarding school in the nineteenth century. The closing credits always showed them doing this odd little dance together. I cannot for the life of me remember the title. Does anyone else remember this?
    That was 'Stalky and Co." an adaptation of a book by Rudyard Kipling.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Anyone remember Pugwalls Summer? it was about a band in Australia
    Yes, I liked that one.

Also, a show called 'Ramona' which was shown around the same time as Pugwall. About a young American (or maybe Canadian) girl and her sister. Channel 4, Sunday morning, 1989/1990 ish.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Loving Memory wth Thora Hird and Christopher Beeney set in an undertakers.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    In Loving Memory wth Thora Hird and Christopher Beeney set in an undertakers.

Really good show when he joined Last Of The Summer Wine I was hoping they would have a joke about Edie looking like his Auntie
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Moving Story' with Warren Clarke, about a team of removal men.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Maid Marian And Her Merry Men.

I remember it so well as I grew up in Worksop a town it often featured in it I was often upset about the way we were featured

http://cdn.static.ovimg.com/episode/294420.jpg
    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedimage.php?image=KevinGilvear/marianS2-2.jpg
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/bRAoNKJVDvA/0.jpg

A few of the more upper class may have been that posh but were we far more common
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Here is one from the early years of C4: Isaura the Slavegirl. It was a Brazilian period drama set in 19th century Brazil.
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else remember The Sunday Show from I think the mid nineties - I might be wrong but I think it may have been where Peter Kaye made his tv debut. :D
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out Of Town with pipe puffing old codger Jack Hargreaves.

With information on how to increase your yield of Beetroot and scrunge your mangelwurzels and splods and stop ferrets infesting your wainscoting.

re imagined by Paul Whitehouse et al as Bob Fleming.

How!
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love a show called hr puffin stuff. It was about a boy and his magic flute and witchypoo. There was also a show with a character called gnashes. I used watch it all the time
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murraymar wrote: »
    I used to love a show called hr puffin stuff. It was about a boy and his magic flute and witchypoo. There was also a show with a character called gnashes. I used watch it all the time

I think the boy in that was Jack Wild who played the artful dodger in the film Oliver. Sadly he died at a young age a few years ago from cancer. There was a programme about him before he died and how he had to have his tongue cut out as the cancer there was so bad. It made such sad watching especially when you could remember him as such a bright and talented child.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Box of Delights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a series in the 80s called 'Help!', a Saturday tea-time comedy based around three Liverpudlian friends looking for work, which somehow involved them hanging around a deserted bandstand for long periods of time. Heart warming, witty, engaging - none of these words can be applied to this atrocity, and the only reason I remember it is the absolute scathing reviews it got, most of which pointed out that no-one in their right mind would employ any of the three utterly f**kwitted protagonists. Imagine 3 x 'Billy from Bread' after he's been on a massive drugs bender and you're only halfway to imagining the horror. It was pulled after only two episodes, which for a peak time BBC comedy in the eighties was almost unheard of.

One show I'm surprised was not more succesful (very few people I know recall it at all) was 'Common As Muck', with Edward Woodward, Tim Healy, and Neil Dudgeon amongst others. A great ensemble piece about a group of binmen and their families, it had a standout performance by Stephen Lord (recently in EastEnders I believe) as the troubled Jonno. I'm hoping to be shot down in flames on this one to be honest, with everyone exclaiming how well they remember the series, but whenever I mention it I'm met with the blank looks...
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Kymberly wrote: »
    Does anyone else remember The Sunday Show from I think the mid nineties - I might be wrong but I think it may have been where Peter Kaye made his tv debut. :D

Yes. as Dennis Pennis. I think Katie Puckrick co-hosted
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    There was this US show shown on Irish kids' TV called
    "The Adventures of Scrapiron O'Toole",
    http://www.worldcat.org/title/living-on-the-desert-the-adventures-of-scrapiron-otoole/oclc/072447313

about an old man who lived in the
    Chihuahuan Desert. Apparently it was meant to teach kids about
    environmentalism and looked like something from PBS, not the commerical US
    channels. I remember it because the host of the kids show ( Ray D'Arcy)actually used to slag off "Scrapiron O'Toole" mercilessly and apologise for showing it!

He showed far worst shows there and had nothing but good words for them...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murun Buchstansangur. A little blob thing who wore a watch and shoes (no trousers!) and lived in a kitchen. I remember it being very bleak and depressing, lol.
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    There was a series in the 80s called 'Help!', a Saturday tea-time comedy based around three Liverpudlian friends looking for work, which somehow involved them hanging around a deserted bandstand for long periods of time. Heart warming, witty, engaging - none of these words can be applied to this atrocity, and the only reason I remember it is the absolute scathing reviews it got, most of which pointed out that no-one in their right mind would employ any of the three utterly f**kwitted protagonists. Imagine 3 x 'Billy from Bread' after he's been on a massive drugs bender and you're only halfway to imagining the horror. It was pulled after only two episodes, which for a peak time BBC comedy in the eighties was almost unheard of.

I loved this, I was only a young teen at the time, but I thought it was good.Must have been me being northern.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0lefax wrote: »

A little before my time to be into soaps but I can vividly hear the theme tune in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Ua0xXpd-E

Brings it all back.

There is one show - a kids show (which I've mentioned in kids tv threads before) a cartoon about two warring tribes/peoples and the leader of the "evil" tribe was a huge dragon/monster which was usually set in stone form and only every now and then could it free itself and become flesh and attack the "good" tribe.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heres one I just recalled off the top of my head - The Flying Doctors!
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »

One show I'm surprised was not more succesful (very few people I know recall it at all) was 'Common As Muck', with Edward Woodward, Tim Healy, and Neil Dudgeon amongst others. A great ensemble piece about a group of binmen and their families, it had a standout performance by Stephen Lord (recently in EastEnders I believe) as the troubled Jonno. I'm hoping to be shot down in flames on this one to be honest, with everyone exclaiming how well they remember the series, but whenever I mention it I'm met with the blank looks...

I remember 'Common as Muck'. It was good, well-written.

Does anyone else remember 'All Quiet on the Preston Front' from the 90s? Alistair McGowan was one of the leads in it.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one here which is very obscure. A friend asked me about this programme which I didn't remember at all, and apparently no-one else did either. It's 'The Happy Apple', a sitcom with Leslie Ash set in an advertising agency. It only had one short series in 1983. He reckons it was really good, and nobody argues with him because nobody else can remember it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coriakin wrote: »
    Here is one from the early years of C4: Isaura the Slavegirl. It was a Brazilian period drama set in 19th century Brazil.

Blimey-that was an odd, obscure one which I have vague memories of. For a period piece it looked very 70s. :D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c0lefax wrote: »
    Murun Buchstansangur. A little blob thing who wore a watch and shoes (no trousers!) and lived in a kitchen. I remember it being very bleak and depressing, lol.

I remember this, too - it was often shown as filler during Channel Four ad breaks. I believe it disappeared in the late 90s.

Here he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJHGg9c86fs&hl=en-GB&gl=GB