X-Factor - could the picture be any worse?

mobilymobily Posts: 261
Forum Member
Morning all,

I've just been watching X-Factor on catch up TV on demand and the picture quality was just awful! There was so much pixelation it was almost unwatchable at times.

When will ITV pull their finger out and output programmes with a half decent bit rate!?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you completely - it is no better on SKY - I gave up trying to watch footie matches on ITV - it was like having cataracts !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    it is no better on SKY

But Sky don't have catch up TV on demand :confused:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mobily wrote: »
    Morning all,

I've just been watching X-Factor on catch up TV on demand and the picture quality was just awful! There was so much pixelation it was almost unwatchable at times.

When will ITV pull their finger out and output programmes with a half decent bit rate!?

X-Factor picture quatiy was as normal, the problem lie's with itv-play and has done for some week's now.:mad:

It's Virgin's problem. Time to get the finger out Virgin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Im just dumping sky and currently have sky+ and a humax 9300 side by side. The xf picture on sky was abysmal last night compared to the humax on freeview..
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,740
    Forum Member
    The ITV Player on VM has terrible pictures - it seems ITV upload them themselves.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never noticed anything wrong with ITV OD :confused:
    Forum Member
    Saw two Coronation Streets and two X-Factors today - was like watching Youtube.
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never noticed anything wrong with ITV OD :confused:

You might not if watching on a 14" TV on anything bigger you can clearly see the picture becomes full of blocks, wouldn't call it pixellating, but definitely macroblocking.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isnt all "Catch Up" TV poor quality, it always is by my eyes, i only use it as a last resort, i record all progs i want to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Isnt all "Catch Up" TV poor quality, it always is by my eyes, i only use it as a last resort, i record all progs i want to watch.

Yes, just that ITV is even worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Personally I've always found the quality of ITV to be poor in comparison to other channels. This is the same for live and on demand content.

You would think that the main channels would be able to have decent PQ. I wouldn't even like to see what HD is like if they can't even sort SD:(
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    brettiex wrote: »
    Personally I've always found the quality of ITV to be poor in comparison to other channels. This is the same for live and on demand content.

You would think that the main channels would be able to have decent PQ. I wouldn't even like to see what HD is like if they can't even sort SD:(
    Personally I think ITV have done really well in regards their HD PQ, some of what I have seen has been really good, football for example, what's disappointing is the limited amount they broadcast and the omission of 5.1.
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Personally I think ITV have done really well in regards their HD PQ, some of what I have seen has been really good, football for example, what's disappointing is the limited amount they broadcast and the omission of 5.1.
    The biggest complaint about ITVHD programmes - is there is no gaurantee it will be in HD.

It is not uncommon for the programme not to be broadcast even though advertised. This happened with Jurasic Park on Saturday.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching it live at the weekend on West country on Sky and the picture was great but this was on satellite.
    Forum Member
    The main topic of this thread is the very poor bandwidth or programmes uploaded by ITV onto the ITV Player on VM - it is worse than some YouTube videos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    When the program was broadcast live the quality was very poor , even the missus noticed and she cant even tell the difference between hd and sd

I think they need to look at the broadcast bit rate first of all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    The main topic of this thread is the very poor bandwidth or programmes uploaded by ITV onto the ITV Player on VM - it is worse than some YouTube videos.

I dont get why people think this is in anyway unique to VM and their execution of ITV Netplayer. They just use the same source as you get via your PC. If the pictures poor its ITV's fault and there is little that VM can do about it other than pass on complaints to ITV. I have not looked at X-factor but agree the PQ is not generally as good as BBC i-Player but I would not describe it as anything like as bad as the best U-Tube video I have seen ( Viewed on Panasonic 37" 1080 LCD.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilson wrote: »
    I dont get why people think this is in anyway unique to VM and their execution of ITV Netplayer. They just use the same source as you get via your PC. If the pictures poor its ITV's fault and there is little that VM can do about it other than pass on complaints to ITV. I have not looked at X-factor but agree the PQ is not generally as good as BBC i-Player but I would not describe it as anything like as bad as the best U-Tube video I have seen ( Viewed on Panasonic 37" 1080 LCD.)

Well the BBC encode the TV version to a better spec than the online version, so there should be no reason why ITV don't either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flashpaul wrote: »
    When the program was broadcast live the quality was very poor , even the missus noticed and she cant even tell the difference between hd and sd

I think they need to look at the broadcast bit rate first of all

I saw some of the original and it looked pretty good to me in view of some of ITV's ouput (VM+ at 1080i)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the BBC encode the TV version to a better spec than the online version, so there should be no reason why ITV don't either.

Could you give a source for this info? What about HD on i-player? i-player HD looks pretty good to me on my PC/1080p monitor?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you give a source for this info? What about HD on i-player? i-player HD looks pretty good to me on my PC/1080p monitor?

It's in one of the BBC blogs.
  • AdamAnalogueAdamAnalogue Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I saw some of the original and it looked pretty good to me in view of some of ITV's ouput (VM+ at 1080i)

Yes, I watched a V+ recording last night and thought the PQ was good - certainly better than it used to be on Sky (I have recently changed to V+ from Sky). Only real problem was pixellation on the stings introducing each act - what with the multi-coloured backgrounds etc. Oh, and the blatantly homophobic comment from Ms Minogue. But that's another story.;)
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    X-Factor picture quatiy was as normal, the problem lie's with itv-play and has done for some week's now.:mad:

It's Virgin's problem. Time to get the finger out Virgin

Why is it Virgin's problem exactly? Virgin show whatever ITV give them!
    Forum Member
    I'm told by somebody at Virgin that the picture being broadcast by ITV Player is how it was uploaded by ITV
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it Virgin's problem exactly? Virgin show whatever ITV give them!

Absolutely, couldn't agree more...