Options

'Windows Security Alerts' - is this a virus?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
http://i35.tinypic.com/2cyijph.jpg

That came up this morning. There's been no pop-up asking me to download anything, it's just in the taskbar and that's what happens when you roll the mouse over it.

I have McAfee, which is terrible, so I'm not going to be too surprised if it's a virus.

I know how I'm meant to remove it if it's a virus, but I don't know what it is!

Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anything happen when you double click on it, I am sure in Vista it is simply a list of security validations (telling if you have a firewall, ad-aware protection etc), does it appear when you are in Safe Mode? If it does its unlikely to be a virus.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Try using malwarebytes. It is a nasty bit of malware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ginock wrote: »
    Does anything happen when you double click on it, I am sure in Vista it is simply a list of security validations (telling if you have a firewall, ad-aware protection etc), does it appear when you are in Safe Mode? If it does its unlikely to be a virus.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2b73u9.jpg
    That's what happens when I double-click on it. It doesn't look like a virus...
    Try using malwarebytes. It is a nasty bit of malware.

I'm using Malware Bytes to do a full scan right now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The program in itself is legit however if you have a program advising you don't have Virus protection when you do (I remember you mentioned McAfee) I would make sure it is full up to date and download a second AV program like AVG. Once you have this get yourself some MalWare software and DC you modem, once it is dc'd reboot your PC into Safe Mode and run some scans. I would also recommend getting hold of AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Also run these in Safe Mode, this should pick up anything suspicious.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://i35.tinypic.com/2b73u9.jpg
    That's what happens when I double-click on it. It doesn't look like a virus...

I'm using Malware Bytes to do a full scan right now :)
    It is Windows telling you that it can't tell if you are running any Anti Virus. It is not a Virus.

I'm sure I've seen something like this in the Computing forum of DS and McAfee may well have been involved there as well.

If there is other evidence that McAfee is running then you can probably ignore the warning. And if you have Malwarebytes then you can probably ignore the warning about Windows Defender as well. Malwarebytes is likely to do a better job anyway.

Maybe ditching McAfee and going for something free like Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira would be an option.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    It is nothing to do with Malware. The reason that is coming up is because the computer is telling you there is no antivirus protecting you. Try investigating your McAfee as it should be showing up there, perhaps it is turned off? If you can't get it to appear, then it would be worth turning on Windows Defender in the meantime so you still have some protection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you everyone! Sorry, I'm not very good with computers :D

McAfee won't load at the moment, so I'll turn on Windows Defender in the meantime :) Thank you very much! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst WD will give you a level protection I would recommend downloading another AV program. If you go to www.download.com they offer a lot of software with real people giving real opinions. I have used the site for years and never had any problems. If you have any more questions by all means ask :)