Options

Hallucinations - meanings behind them?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
About a month ago I took an overdose of drugs and ended up in hospital. The nature of the drugs I took and the quantity meant that I started hallucinating, which was odd...

First of all, I saw a swarm of flies flying above me. A few minutes later, I saw thousands of flies congregating underneath the curtain by my bed. Then I saw hundreds of ants crawling around my bed and called the nurse and told her there was an ants' nest in it! :o

I was just wondering if there was any significance to these? It's just out of curiosity, wondering why I saw insects as opposed to anything else. I've tried a bit of Googling but can't find anything.

Comments

• Options
    ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

The significance of seeing these creatures is not to take an overdose again.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think hallucinations have to mean anything. I once met an elderly woman who could see a Chinese man standing on the stair laughing at her, was convinced that there were keys all over her doormat and later saw at her window a man with a long knife who wanted to kill her. None of those things were actually there, and the only meaning was that she was suffering from terminal cancer and that her brain was completely screwed, much as yours was by the drugs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About a month ago I took an overdose of drugs and ended up in hospital. The nature of the drugs I took and the quantity meant that I started hallucinating, which was odd...

First of all, I saw a swarm of flies flying above me. A few minutes later, I saw thousands of flies congregating underneath the curtain by my bed. Then I saw hundreds of ants crawling around my bed and called the nurse and told her there was an ants' nest in it! :o

I was just wondering if there was any significance to these? It's just out of curiosity, wondering why I saw insects as opposed to anything else. I've tried a bit of Googling but can't find anything.

No meaning at all. It's the effect of the drugs you took.

No different to dreams but yours was self induced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Insects are common things to see if the chemicals cause spots in your vision that your addled brain tries to make sense of (adding little wiggly legs is easy).

Most hallucinations will be distortions of things that are actually there (people unexpectedly giving nasty expressions or having melty faces).
    The level of detail can increase, depending on how much of a waking 'dream state' is occurring (from mere shadows becoming people or creatures, hiding in corners, up to being in a room and talking with people that seem totally real).