Options

iOS 8 release - 17/09/2014

Comments

• Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only gripe with Swiftkey is the lack of keyboard click. Other than that, I've found it's no different to the stock keyboard..

I was wondering if you had been into the settings (not sure about the iOS version, but the Android version you can set it to click and then another option to set it to what volume? Also there is the setting in there to have it vibrate on each key press so you get some feedback.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

You can't customise any of that stuff on iOS though. There are no options in the settings for things like that. Maybe they will come in time.

The thing I can't quite work out with SwiftKey Flow, and the reason I've all but given up, is how to to type a whole sentence without taking my finger off the keyboard. I know that I can swipe down to the space bar and continue typing, and the words appear in the centre pane above the keyboard, but after four or five words everything I've typed so far will just disappear from that pane, and I have to start all over again.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^

You can't customise any of that stuff on iOS though. There are no options in the settings for things like that. Maybe they will come in time.

The thing I can't quite work out with SwiftKey Flow, and the reason I've all but given up, is how to to type a whole sentence without taking my finger off the keyboard. I know that I can swipe down to the space bar and continue typing, and the words appear in the centre pane above the keyboard, but after four or five words everything I've typed so far will just disappear from that pane, and I have to start all over again.

I guess so.

With the Flow you just slide your finger around for each word and then as soon as you take your finger off it will complete the word and then add a space at the end so there is no need to go down to the spacebar.

If you need 2 letters the same next to each other you just circle round the letter to get it to put 2 of them in, so if you have a word like FOOD you would start with F, then slide around the O and then back to the D and then take your finger off where it will complete the word and then enter the space for the next word.

There is an example of Flow here (started part of the way into video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5Horw_SOE#t=32
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if you had been into the settings (not sure about the iOS version, but the Android version you can set it to click and then another option to set it to what volume? Also there is the setting in there to have it vibrate on each key press so you get some feedback.

I tried the settings but there's honestly nothing there to set a keyboard click or any kind of vibration either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither SwiftKey nor Swype has a readily accessible £ symbol. With SwiftKey, you have to long press the $ symbol. With Swype, it appears that there isn't one anywhere on the keyboard.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Health app seems rather limited at the moment, it'll be because Healthkit apps were pulled from the App Store earlier today after a bug was discovered. Apple is promising a fix by the end of the month.

I'm really underwhelmed by that in particular. After using S health on my galaxy phones for the past year and a half I was looking forward to see what the health app would bring and so far absolutely nothing! The only thing I've managed to do is enter my pulse which I took with my galaxy S5.
  • Options
    slattery69slattery69 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I updated my daughters ipad mini (1st gen) last night and god it runs slow now, safari is terrible constant page reloads , it stutters and stalls. really shocked how bad it is. Any suggestions before i go down the route of a restore ?
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slattery69 wrote: »
    I updated my daughters ipad mini (1st gen) last night and god it runs slow now, safari is terrible constant page reloads , it stutters and stalls. really shocked how bad it is. Any suggestions before i go down the route of a restore ?

A full factory reset should help. Not sure if you have any other options really
  • Options
    lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 5s seems slower. A lot slower.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting it installed on my wifes 5C was fun trying to free up the space :s

I installed onto my iPad which is a couple of years old now and seems to make it a bit nippier. Also solved a rather irritating habit of safari crashing from time to time and triggering mail to open all my my emails for me :D
  • Options
    slattery69slattery69 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »

thanks i did fear that , thats my job for later then
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine updated last night. The weather location is still wrong! And did anyone else get "new carrier updates" on the 4s?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something a bit concerning - SwiftKey's background activity is accounting for around 10% of my battery usage.

That's quite a lot - I looked quickly at the small print about allowing access, and it sounds like it needs to phone home to look up words. So I guess if its constantly doing that, rather than all just local activity on the phone then its going to use some juice.

I did find it worked pretty well though - although for longer words it might take a little more practice to fluidly swipe around the keyboard without having to stop and think monentarily where you need to go.

Design wise, I'm not sure it fits in too well with the OS though.

The one thing I really can't believe they haven't fixed (or seem to think are OK) are the ridiculously garish colors used in HealthKit.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    If you honestly don't like 8.0 you normally have 48 hours (until sometime Friday) before Apple stops digitally signing 7.1.2 - so you have until this to manually restore the old OS!
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm having to restore from backup as my kindle library has been deleted.:(
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    This is draining my battery even faster so I am not happy.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    This is draining my battery even faster so I am not happy.

Did you accept the iCloud drive ?

Check it in "settings" and you might find it's still 'upgrading'. I found that when I tried the last but one beta, it took so long to upgrade to the iCloud drive, it did hammer my battery quite significantly.

Once it was done, everything was fine though.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Did you accept the iCloud drive ?

Check it in "settings" and you might find it's still 'upgrading'. I found that when I tried the last but one beta, it took so long to upgrade to the iCloud drive, it did hammer my battery quite significantly.

Once it was done, everything was fine though.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Haven't tried any keyboards yet, will have a bash later after work.

A little tip if some people didn't see it, on the stock keyboard if you don't like/want the spelling suggestions feature, just grab the top of it and swipe down, it'll dissapear

Couple of very small niggles for me, on the stock weather app you could used to tap on the temperature and it would give you humidity, chance of rain in% etc, that seems to be gone and also screen orientation seems not as sensitive I.e you have to move the phone around abit more to get it to rotate, nothing major just small things

It's still there. If you scroll up the page it gives you a really detailed list of the weather including sunrise, sunset, chances of rain, humidity, wind speed, feels like, precipitation and visibility among other things.
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Anyone updating on an iPhone 4S?

Yes, I did it yesterday.
    Works a treat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's still there. If you scroll up the page it gives you a really detailed list of the weather including sunrise, sunset, chances of rain, humidity, wind speed, feels like, precipitation and visibility among other things.
    I normally use the BBC Weather App. I found the detailed forecast in the stock one but not how to get it to expand on its details for future days - does it?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I normally use the BBC Weather App. I found the detailed forecast in the stock one but not how to get it to expand on its details for future days - does it?

It gives the forecast, actual temperature and feels like for the next 10 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It gives the forecast, actual temperature and feels like for the next 10 days.
    Thanks . I have not missed anything then! The BBC App gives more detail for future days.
  • Options
    General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any real downside to me sticking with 7? Security, compatibility with apps etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any real downside to me sticking with 7? Security, compatibility with apps etc?
    Unlikely to be any downside for quite some time! I stuck with IOS 6 from September 2013 until May 2014 - and nothing forced me to change even then!