Options

Why Lidl? (Merged)

124»

Comments

• Options
    geraldinemariageraldinemaria Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sell fresh meat, fresh fish, fresh veg, fresh fruit (the fruit & veg are excellent quality and mostly from UK), milk, plus cold meats, cheeses...the only "fresh" that my local doesn't do is "freshly baked bread in-store", but they do sell the usual pre-sliced loaves as well as more european breads.

And organic too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My latest Lidl bargs - iceberg lettuce, pickled gherkins, & their top price French and Spanish red wine at under a fiver are all good deals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe we're all rabbiting about Lidl and Aldi!:D

Aldi sell 200g bags of blackcurrant gums that are gorgeous and taste like ribena for 79p

M&S sell the exact gums in 150g bags for £2.50!!!

Lidl diet Rola Cola is 39p and it tastes like diet coke. So there:p
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad to see that not everybody here are brand snobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I bloody hate Lidl - cheap poorly made food from unheard of brands. But I will not deny their pork sausage is actually nice...

But there is one food store I hate way more than Lidl.

And that is...Farmfoods. YEEEUK!
  • Options
    adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I <3 Tweety wrote: »
    Since they are celebrities, I thought they would be a bit more fussy :eek:
    Even I wouldn't shop there :confused:

More fool you then. Nothing wrong with Lidl food. Better than many other supermarkets
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a Lidl the other day.
    It's not so much a shop, more a famine relief centre !

Would you care to explain that remark,please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But how can such a cheap store offer the most money? :confused:

Because they have so many customers they ptobably make more money. And they don't normally spend lots on TV advertising with Julie Walters doing the voice over as some do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yata wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Lidl, although congratulations on being able to afford to pay extra for the same thing

Like many of the Waitrose snobs do!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Since they are celebrities, I thought they would be a bit more fussy :eek:
    Even I wouldn't shop there :confused:

Why? They'd sell the same stuff as a Tesco more or less. Or do you mean you'd be too ashamed?

LOL imagine that: you arrive there after beating all the other house mates in 2 tasks - your first time out in almost 2 weeks and you refuse to go inside once you see it's a Lidl! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tj999 wrote: »
    :confused:Who,s the snob?

All those on here who act as though they wouldn't be seen dead in there. OK, but don't complain about the cost of living if you shop elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    It's the only supermarket that would allow Jedward through the door, even Netto said no.

lol!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aleksis wrote: »
    There's a lot of crap in Lidl but it's not all bad. Pray tell, which shops do all the snobs on Digitalspy deign to darken?

Could you give some examples of the 'crap' in Lidl. I've never found anything that's any worse than any other supermarket. But if you want to shop where almost everything costs more - even the same brands that other supermarkets sell- go to Waitrose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_G13 wrote: »
    I bloody hate Lidl - cheap poorly made food from unheard of brands. But I will not deny their pork sausage is actually nice...

But there is one food store I hate way more than Lidl.

And that is...Farmfoods. YEEEUK!

Just because you haven't heard of the brand doesn't mean it's no good. In what way is the food poorly made?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,030
    Forum Member
    adwalton wrote: »
    All those on here who act as though they wouldn't be seen dead in there. OK, but don't complain about the cost of living if you shop elsewhere.

I shopped there earlier on if you saw my post and now i have changed my mind about lidl as i scoffed about it last night. made a good saving too so lidl all the way for me now. i,m no snob turncoat yes snob no.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    I don't think I've been to a Lidl, not one nearby, but I do occasionally go to an Aldi nearby, and a Tesco, and a Waitrose, even M&S.

It depends what offers are on. Waitrose aren't that expensive if you're careful what you get, a lot of their essential stuff is the same price as Tesco and their fruit is excellent if you really need top ingredients (for a special meal etc).

I don't mind Aldi but I will say that if you check the ingredients and additives Aldi (and I assume Lidl and other discount supermarkets are the same) do have worse things in their food that places like Tesco and Waitrose don't and if you have a condition, or, like me, a kid with a condition that is effected by what he eats that is very important.

So I guess what I'm saying is that they all have their good points depending on what you need, but be careful with what you're buying if it is amazingly cheap - there usually is a reason why it is so cheap, like certain discount clothes stores (naming no names) where it turns out it is so cheap because kids in the developing world make them for a pound an hour!

I like looking at the special offer non-food items in Aldi and have enjoyed their chocolate and booze, £3 for a bottle of something like baileys - can't go wrong!

F
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidl have a great selection of fruit and veg to be fair. A much wider selection than ASDA or TESCO I have found - and always fresher and less expensive!

I'm not ashamed to say I like some of the things Lidl has to offer :)
  • Options
    LucypherLucypher Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a Lidl the other day.
    It's not so much a shop, more a famine relief centre !

Ha ha, love it!!!
  • Options
    LucypherLucypher Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are we considered snobs if we choose not to shop in Lidls? Do we have to be Lidl shoppers if we want to be accepted on this forum???

I can't stand Lidls for the reasons I gave. Perfectly good reasons. Plus, we have freedom of choice, don't we?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    adwalton wrote: »
    Just because you haven't heard of the brand doesn't mean it's no good. In what way is the food poorly made?

I get it, you're a regular Lidl shopper and desperate to justify yourself and the company. Why the need to defend them? If you like them, then you should ignore anyone who doesn't.

Don't let me stand in your way, knock yourself out and gorge yourself silly on Newgate Beef Dinners till you puke :)
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_G13 wrote: »
    I get it, you're a regular Lidl shopper and desperate to justify yourself and the company. Why the need to defend them? If you like them, then you should ignore anyone who doesn't.

Don't let me stand in your way, knock yourself out and gorge yourself silly on Newgate Beef Dinners till you puke :)

Quite. If you are happy to pay for the advertising costs that are built into well-known brands, good for you.
    I have no idea what Newgate Beef Dinners are as I don't buy pre-pared meals, but I do buy fruit and vegetables at Lidl as they are fresh and have a good range of organic foods at uninflated prices.
    Their washing and cleaning products are excellent too, and far cheaper than elsewhere.