Options

Michel Roux's Service

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
Forum Member
I loved this series from a few years ago and was so disappointed there wouldn't be another one :( It was one of the few reality shows I enjoyed watching, seeing how these young people wanted to make something of their lives, it got quite emotional at times! For anyone interested, I'm glad to say the show is being repeated on Sunday morning at 11.55 (two episodes back to back) on BBC2.

Comments

• Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very good, and a joy to see how encouraging Michel Roux was with youngsters who looked anything but promising to begin with.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info - I've just set the PVR.

It was a lovely series, and it was a great shame that the BBC did not see fit to recommission what was one of the most inspirational and the most uplifting reality programmes I have ever seen.

MRJ was a kind, sympathetic but firm judge, and he knew how to get the best out of most of the young people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info - I've just set the PVR.

It was a lovely series, and it was a great shame that the BBC did not see fit to recommission what was one of the most inspirational and the most uplifting reality programmes I have ever seen.

MRJ was a kind, sympathetic but firm judge, and he knew how to get the best out of most of the young people.

You put it very well :)

I seem to remember at the beginning one of the trainees had a bit of an attitude :D Can't remember if he walked out or if they told him to go!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You put it very well :)

I seem to remember at the beginning one of the trainees had a bit of an attitude :D Can't remember if he walked out or if they told him to go!

I think I remember he was taken to one side and given a strong warning, then went and bragged to the others about it or mocked MRJ's assistant. He was then immediately told to leave.

He had been disruptive for some time and the programme improved a lot once he left. He seemed to think he was on a reality programme like Big Brother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think I remember he was taken to one side and given a strong warning, then went and bragged to the others about it or mocked MRJ's assistant. He was then immediately told to leave.

He had been disruptive for some time and the programme improved a lot once he left. He seemed to think he was on a reality programme like Big Brother.

That was it, yes. My memory isn't as good as yours! He was a bit of an arse, not really there to learn or make something of himself, just to be on tv.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michel Roux must have the least amount of body fat found on a body that isn't already dead. He's good but I find it really odd when a chef seems to be so thin he can't eat much of anything.
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michel Roux must have the least amount of body fat found on a body that isn't already dead. He's good but I find it really odd when a chef seems to be so thin he can't eat much of anything.

I'm sure he eats plenty. He also runs marathons which would explain his whippet-like physique.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lab wrote: »
    I'm sure he eats plenty. He also runs marathons which would explain his whippet-like physique.

Yes he does run marathons. And I'm sure he does eat the food, he just doesn't overeat :D
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he does run marathons. And I'm sure he does eat the food, he just doesn't overeat :D

Well, quite. Too many people around who eat more than their body needs then blame their weight on an underactive thyroid :D
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if any of the people involved are still in the industry?

I was another big fan of this show. I would have liked to have seen a second series where he focussed on the kitchen and trained up some youngsters to cook with him rather than the focus being front of house.
  • Options
    MsJoaquinMsJoaquin Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up I love Michel Roux Jr, I have just set the series record for this :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if any of the people involved are still in the industry?

I was another big fan of this show. I would have liked to have seen a second series where he focussed on the kitchen and trained up some youngsters to cook with him rather than the focus being front of house.

I think his point was that 'service' is a different career to cooking and he wanted more young people to consider it.

Even in 'service' there were different skills and some people took to some aspects better than others. Wasn't there one girl who had never drunk wine before but took to that side of the business like the proverbial duck to water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bump!

I'd love people who haven't seen this series to give it a go. It's brilliant!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think his point was that 'service' is a different career to cooking and he wanted more young people to consider it.

Even in 'service' there were different skills and some people took to some aspects better than others. Wasn't there one girl who had never drunk wine before but took to that side of the business like the proverbial duck to water.

I'm glad this aspect of the restaurant industry was looked into. We haven't seen a programme like this before, we've seen shows about people trying to be chefs, but not training to be a Maître d or a Sommelier etc.

Fred! I liked Fred :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump!

Ad stick with it, it improves a lot once the disruptive person is told to leave.

Anyone new to the series might be surprised by who eventually wins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ad stick with it, it improves a lot once the disruptive person is told to leave.

Anyone new to the series might be surprised by who eventually wins.

Yes, I had tears in my eyes in the last episode when Michel announced the winners.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump!

Yes it was. I wonder who succeeded? Even if some dropped out I'd love to know how their lives changed and what they are all doing now.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Fred. Lovely lovely Fred.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a complete mess at the end of the first episode, arguing, hiding in the kitchen and standing about! It seems like an uphill struggle for Michel and Fred to get any of the youngsters trained up to standard :D

'This is not a knocking shop.' :D
  • Options
    ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    glad that wee shit was booted out, imagine him serving you and snickering behind your back like some wee immature child.
  • Options
    p1xiep1xie Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrell had a 'very big personality'. For 'big' read 'annoying'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    glad that wee shit was booted out, imagine him serving you and snickering behind your back like some wee immature child.

Yes he deserved to go, but I'd have loved to have seen how he coped with being Maître d!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Yes it was. I wonder who succeeded? Even if some dropped out I'd love to know how their lives changed and what they are all doing now.

There were some articles around after the previous series and most had been found good placements, I think might have been at least one who decided it was not for them.

I won't post links but there are several matches through Google which give details of the winners. I mentioned that people watching might be surprised by the winner but there was another big surprise in the final.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't seen this before and watched the 1st one today. I couldn't believe the attitude of some of the trainees, so rude at times. I'm just about to watch the 2nd part :)
  • Options
    treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glad to see this repeated was hoping they'd do another series afterwards maybe this will prompt them too