3, can't get a signal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
Forum Member
For some reason since last night my phone cannot get a signal. Anyone know if the 3 network is down?

Comments

• OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's working where I live, tried rebooting the phone?
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter was taken in to hospital on Saturday night, its a very big hospital in the middle of a large city and i couldn't get a signal on Three stood outside in the hospital grounds, i had to go for a walk to find a signal to keep everyone updated.

What kind of a network cant even provide a signal around what is lets be honest a quite important building.
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I've just left three. I never get a signal in most buildings. I was in Lincoln hospital last month for a few days at the bed I was in was right by a window and had no service for the whole time I was there. In the end the guy next to me used his O2 (the network I'm now on) portable hotspot so I could whatsapp family. Not impressed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the no signal in a building due to the frequencies involved but not having a signal outside the place is rubbish.

My daughter is on GiffGaff and now she is feeling a bit better after an operation she is sending the odd text etc. and the room she is in is right inside the hospital, by that i mean not on the edge of it with a window to wide open spaces etc.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some times i have to put my s4 in flight mode and turn it off again to get a signal not sure why?
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    For some reason since last night my phone cannot get a signal. Anyone know if the 3 network is down?

Have you checked your local mast?

http://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage
  • Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    In my local hospital I don't get a signal on O2 and on three I get a very weak signal 1 bar 3G and slow!

Deep in the bowels of the building but full signal outside.

So it's unacceptable to not get a signal outdoors. That hasn't been the case for me. I've had no signal on O2 more than three.

In that situation try going in and out of airplane mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just put a GiffGaff SIM in my Nexus 5 and i get full signal strength sat here (Zero signal on Three) So it looks like im asking for a PAC off Three.

Calls and texts are far more important to me than free 4G or even fast 3G.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    It's down to the frequencies used by mobile networks; unfortunately, hospitals block a lot of mobile phone frequencies due to the way they are built.

In this case, you'll have the best luck getting some sort of signal (2G, 3G, 4G) on either Vodafone or O2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    It's down to the frequencies used by mobile networks; unfortunately, hospitals block a lot of mobile phone frequencies due to the way they are built.

In this case, you'll have the best luck getting some sort of signal (2G, 3G, 4G) on either Vodafone or O2.

You clearly didn't read the entire thread then.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    I have just put a GiffGaff SIM in my Nexus 5 and i get full signal strength sat here (Zero signal on Three) So it looks like im asking for a PAC off Three.

Calls and texts are far more important to me than free 4G or even fast 3G.

I'd check what the data is like before you commit to giffgaff. The 3 o2 masts that i use regularly, work/home/pub, any sort of streaming (even radio) was impossible.

Although if all you want is calls and texts then o2 2g is superb.
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    I'd check what the data is like before you commit to giffgaff. The 3 o2 masts that i use regularly, work/home/pub, any sort of streaming (even radio) was impossible.

O2 has pretty poor voice quality.

Their 2G network, it has to be said, is excellent. But there 3G network is absolutely dreadful: poor coverage, poor speeds.
  • Carl_BoysCarl_Boys Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I'm in hospital in South London/Sutton, she is on t mobile/EE and could not get signal on the top floor of building, I was getting 3bars 4g on three and used personal hotspot, it's swings and roundabouts but do agree signal in these places is really required to contact family, I Havnt used wifi but like everything in hospital are all chargeable but I've had no need, 4G Hotspot works great!
  • sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I was on GiffGaff and just this month switched to Three because I prefer their package. I never had any issues with GiffGaff (O2) with 3G signals especially data but now with Three there are so many signal problem in the areas I loiter.

I was out and about for work and a whole postcode area didn't have any 3G signal contrary to what it says on the coverage map, I ended up at a McDonald's using their wifi. Had the phone in my jeans back packet at a restaurant once and the phone has no signal at all. At work I'm consistently barely getting 1Mbps data speed. Hope their 4G is better when I eventually move on to it.

I have no idea how Three can come second http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28837671
  • Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    sky0000547 wrote: »
    I have no idea how Three can come second http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28837671

I think its just down to luck.

Always a postcode lottery with these things. I bravely went with the one plan after a month of testing out a PAYG three sim.

Following my move i did a big tour of devon and cornwall as well as time in london. As my wife was with me i compared three signal and speeds with her o2. In every case three won or matched o2. If both had 3g three 9/10 is likely to have quicker speeds.

I have been around much of the midlands, peak district, oxfordshire and the north west. Visited most places i'm likely to go back to again and i've never had an issue with three. Rural coverage also impresses me. Quite often i'm finding 3G deep into the peak district with speeds over 20Mbit/Sec. Ask my wife how sad it is when i do speed tests in the middle of a field. To keep balance, there is 1 place in the peak district where i don't get a signal but I've tried my EE and o2 sims and both of them don't get a signal either.

I am continuously impressed by three. They have had a few instances of poor speeds in some places due to congestion and i have had more instability due to maintenance, wind and upgrades compared to o2, so downtime is slightly worst but usually downtime indicates new things / improvements to come.

The take away is, always get a PAYG sim and try it for a month before swapping.

Three have been the best network by far for me, i've tried all but vodaphone. I was burnt by o2's poor 3G coverage which delayed my move to three. o2's 3G is/used to be so poor i naturally assumed that there would be loads of places i would get no signal at all on three. Now i'm on three, it is amazing just how many places i do actually get a signal. o2 are so far behind. (Maybe they have improved recently)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »

I swapped yesterday because i was so fed up with Three, the speeds on Three were brill but the amount of dead spots around here were unacceptable and by that i mean within 10miles, not just in my house and thats despite the Three map showing good coverage.

The data on GiffGaff is utter shite, why they offer an unlimited option is beyond me and it is clear you are down the pecking order due to my phones absolute reluctance to swap to 3G, and when you do get 3G the speeds are rubbish compared to Three but in use Farcebook and Twitter loaded just the same.

The plus side of course is i get good signal now so calls and texts are working correctly, found the call quality more than acceptable, sounded good.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    I swapped yesterday because i was so fed up with Three, the speeds on Three were brill but the amount of dead spots around here were unacceptable and by that i mean within 10miles, not just in my house and thats despite the Three map showing good coverage.

The data on GiffGaff is utter shite, why they offer an unlimited option is beyond me and it is clear you are down the pecking order due to my phones absolute reluctance to swap to 3G, and when you do get 3G the speeds are rubbish compared to Three but in use Farcebook and Twitter loaded just the same.

The plus side of course is i get good signal now so calls and texts are working correctly, found the call quality more than acceptable, sounded good.

Why didn't you move to EE? Same 3G coverage as 3 but they have a 2G network for you for you to use in the gaps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Why didn't you move to EE? Same 3G coverage as 3 but they have a 2G network for you for you to use in the gaps.

I was with EE for 19 years via One2One and T-Mobile, so i think we can say i was happy with them, however they refused to offer me a retention deal, they wanted me to go from £7.50 a month to over £20 a month. Given this was for me and the missus the prices are obviously doubled and i don't think what i had been getting for £7.50 was suddenly worth it at at over £20.
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been able to get a signal for a few hours now. Anyone else experiencing the same?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to get a signal for a few hours now. Anyone else experiencing the same?

I had that for a few hours yesterday. They must have been doing something to a nearby mast as recently the speeds have been rubbish but now it's increased to 4-5Mbps.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »

What and have nothing to moan about.:D
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For essential communications - I would recommend a dual sim phone with an EE and o2 sim in it. It should pretty much provide the best coverage possible.
  • jsdickinsonjsdickinson Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Just moved to o2 after a year with three. Really desperately wanted to like three but unfortunately their signal was just too inconsistent for me. The number of times in London their signal just didn't work was too frustrating. So far first few days with o2 signal strong in buildings, call quality more than acceptable, plenty of fast 4G about and 3G more than quick enough. Now I've heard mixed things about them outside of cities but considering I spend 95% of my time within the M25 it works for me.

As with any network try out a PAYG sim for a while. Network coverage is so variable across a town let alone the country.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Just moved to o2 after a year with three. Really desperately wanted to like three but unfortunately their signal was just too inconsistent for me. The number of times in London their signal just didn't work was too frustrating. So far first few days with o2 signal strong in buildings, call quality more than acceptable, plenty of fast 4G about and 3G more than quick enough. Now I've heard mixed things about them outside of cities but considering I spend 95% of my time within the M25 it works for me.

As with any network try out a PAYG sim for a while. Network coverage is so variable across a town let alone the country.

O2 is the best in London in my experience.

Once you go outside London however....
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    O2 is the best in London in my experience.

Once you go outside London however....

Definitely not for 3G speeds. Their network dies during the rush hour.