Options

O2 2G/3G - Discussion

lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just moved from three to O2 because I was fed up of not receiving signal in the buildings I use the most (work family and home) and to give them credit...o2's 2G Network is bloody good for calls and text.

I just have one niggle.

There are about 4 O2 3G masts quite close to my work (a town centre location) and about a mile away... Towering over the whole town....a massive O2 2G mast. The 2G mast seems to be that big and powerful it overrides the 3G ones all the time whilst I'm at work. I can have 3 bars 3G one minute and the next the phone is on a 5 bar GPRS Connection again.....particularly annoying when half way through loading a web page or downloading an email.

However like I mention...this is only a niggle. Not a complaint. I'm just happy to have signal indoors for once.

My question for those who are more technically minded is .... Is there anyway on iPhone 5s that I can tell the phone whilst at work just to look for 3G and not 2G. I don't seem to have anything in my settings to do this....only an 'enable 4g' button.

Many thanks

P.s when on the said 3G connection a speed test throws back very decent results of around 10/12mbps download.

Comments

• Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee18xx wrote: »

My question for those who are more technically minded is .... Is there anyway on iPhone 5s that I can tell the phone whilst at work just to look for 3G and not 2G. I don't seem to have anything in my settings to do this....only an 'enable 4g' button.

Many thanks

P.s when on the said 3G connection a speed test throws back very decent results of around 10/12mbps download.

I'm not familiar with iPhones but can't you set it to 3G only while your at work?

I was on giffgaff (o2) and used to leave my phone on 2G only, i used to change it to 3G only when i wanted to use data. It only took a couple of seconds to set it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I used to be able to so with my 4s. But I can't find any bloody option anywhere lol
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I used to be able to so with my 4s. But I can't find any bloody option anywhere lol

Well this seems a bit of faffing about, taken from the Apple forum
    Well I kinda found out a work round...and it's been working for me every single time... What I do is I enable 3G in the cellular settings. Then I scroll back to Carrier in my setting and change it from Automatic to Manual. So what Does it actually does is that it searches for each network and since 3G is enabled it will search for your Carrier in 3G mode. So whenever my 3G goes I just go to Carrier select a different network for like 5 seconds and then select my default network... I have been using this method and it works like 9/10 If not 10/10. Well I hope it helps you all..

EDIT
    That's actually for an iphone 5 so you may not be able to do it. From further reading you might only get that option if you jailbreak.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member

No, once the SIM card is 4G enabled, the iPhone only lets you turn on / off the 4G signal.

I suspect your problem with O2 is the same as I've seen with Vodafone on my work handset, they have the SIM set to "prefer" 2G as they believe their 2G network is stronger/better. Unlike Three and EE who prefer 3G.

Not much you can do about this but flick airplane mode on then off again to force the phone to look again - or ask Apple for a proper mode switch. Generally Apple thinks things should be automatic, as the majority of people would end up with the switch in the wrong setting!
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The iPhone is built for the US market where coverage is in general, much better than the UK. LTE is fair more wide spread, hence why they didn't consider the option to force 3G, let alone 2G.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another question....do O2 not have an EDGE network? I've seen not seen it yet either GPRS or 3G. Wouldn't mind it keep falling back to 2G if Edge was available. :-)
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    EDGE is available in high-population areas from my experience (i.e. very large towns or cities).

However, even in London there isn't 100% EDGE coverage I don't think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    The iPhone is built for the US market where coverage is in general, much better than the UK. LTE is fair more wide spread, hence why they didn't consider the option to force 3G, let alone 2G.

Well if you're talking about Verizon that's possible in many areas, but all 4 US networks have the same problems as we have in the UK.

However given Verizon is the biggest LTE in the US today they probably want to force traffic onto their LTE network rather than the legacy CDMA.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just moved from three to O2 because I was fed up of not receiving signal in the buildings I use the most (work family and home) and to give them credit...o2's 2G Network is bloody good for calls and text.

I just have one niggle.

There are about 4 O2 3G masts quite close to my work (a town centre location) and about a mile away... Towering over the whole town....a massive O2 2G mast. The 2G mast seems to be that big and powerful it overrides the 3G ones all the time whilst I'm at work. I can have 3 bars 3G one minute and the next the phone is on a 5 bar GPRS Connection again.....particularly annoying when half way through loading a web page or downloading an email.

However like I mention...this is only a niggle. Not a complaint. I'm just happy to have signal indoors for once.

Many thanks

I moved to GiffGaff for the very same reason and GiffGaff hangs on to 2G for grim death as well but like you have pointed out getting a signal inside is more than worth it.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Another question....do O2 not have an EDGE network?
    I have seen E on my O2 phone (usually see one of G, H or if I am lucky H+).
  • Options
    M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid Apple omits the network type option. Just another reason why i hate them, a friend of mine has one and his nearest voda masts 3G went wrong making his phone useless as it was on but not accepting traffic and he couldn't switch to 2G so had to wait until voda fixed it nearly a month!!! i went there with my sony xperia z2 also on voda selected 2G only and made a call! to say he was pissed off was an understatement
  • Options
    Forum Member
    M1kos wrote: »
    Stupid Apple omits the network type option. Just another reason why i hate them, a friend of mine has one and his nearest voda masts 3G went wrong making his phone useless as it was on but not accepting traffic and he couldn't switch to 2G so had to wait until voda fixed it nearly a month!!! i went there with my sony xperia z2 also on voda selected 2G only and made a call! to say he was pissed off was an understatement

So Voda broke something and couldn't remotely turn off the 3G transmission, so it because the *users* problem? I didn't realise they were incompetent at Vodafone as well as crap coverage. Plenty of people are non technical enough to know how to switch this setting on any device, iOS, Android, WinPho. :-(

Apple gives the network control over the single setting. The USA assumption being that 4G is just "data" and you don't have to pay a different price plan to use it.

So now that Voda has a 4G network, the option in the 5c and 5s settings is "4G on and off" but Voda *could* have chosen to set this by the price plan but chose not to.

With a 5 handset with Vodafone there is still the 3G switch, as the 5 doesn't do LTE on 800mhz, but on an Orange, T-Mobile or EE SIM card the switch becomes a 4G switch, even if you don't have a 4G price plan.

The UK rollout of 4G has been as premium product, sadly.