Options

Is Hazel presenting the golf

big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know? I really hope so as she is the best at it by a country mile:)

Comments

• Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Yes, Hazel Irving and Dan Walker in the morning.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Has Liniker been dropped presenting from the Golf?
  • Options
    funk2011funk2011 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    no eggheads again shove golf to espn not the BBC.
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    Has Liniker been dropped presenting from the Golf?

Yeah, they dropped him a few years ago now
    funk2011 wrote: »
    no eggheads again shove golf to espn not the BBC.

That's a bit harsh. You might not like golf but there's a fair few who do
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit harsh ? thats an understatment its insanity , seriously Eggheads lol.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only unshared golf tournament that the BBC hold rights to.

Let's face it, The Open is the only tournament held in the UK that should be exclusively on the BBC.

The other tournaments held in the UK had their pathetic Thursday and Friday 2.15pm start on BBC2 why they were forced to share with Sky. The Open is the only tournament held in the UK that the BBC do proper justice to.
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They kept it a bit quiet dropping Lineker. He just never came back, but nothing was said.

Having said that, he was bloody rubbish.
  • Options
    AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »

Let's face it, The Open is the only tournament held in the UK that should be exclusively on the BBC.

I agree.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Open is the only tournament held in the UK that the BBC do proper justice to.

Nearly, but not quite. Last year it went off BBC2/BBC HD and on to red button on both Thursday and Friday evenings.
  • Options
    nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Highlights each evening on ESPN.
  • Options
    HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    ...its a shocking course though !

Can't wait to see the cooling towers in the background off the 7th !

Not exactly Troon, Hoylake etc..... more like the view from the car park at Scunthorpe Steel works !
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Nearly, but not quite. Last year it went off BBC2/BBC HD and on to red button on both Thursday and Friday evenings.

Yeah, but wasn't that at about 8 o'clock at night after they had been showing coverage for ten hours!
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Open is the only tournament held in the UK that the BBC do proper justice to.
    When they actually show golf I'd agree, but last year for more than hour on both Saturday and Sunday they decided we rather see lots of chat than live golf. 'Highlights' included getting to see Hazel and Ken Brown fawning all over the Duke of York.

Yes there is the option of the red button but having finally started to cover The Open in HD it's the chat that should be shoved off on to the red button not the golf!

A different BBC outlet (5 Live) had a similar fondness for chat during Wimbledon when they thought we'd like celebrity interviews with Richard Bacon rather than commentary.

I wonder what they have in store for the weekend this year?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they actually show golf I'd agree, but last year for more than hour on both Saturday and Sunday they decided we rather see lots of chat than live golf. 'Highlights' included getting to see Hazel and Ken Brown fawning all over the Duke of York.

Yes there is the option of the red button but having finally started to cover The Open in HD it's the chat that should be shoved off on to the red button not the golf!

A different BBC outlet (5 Live) had a similar fondness for chat during Wimbledon when they thought we'd like celebrity interviews with Richard Bacon rather than commentary.

I wonder what they have in store for the weekend this year?

i agree it was pathetic last year and have to say if McIlroy wasnt teeing off at 9:09 then they would have been yacking for an hour without any golf!
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They kept it a bit quiet dropping Lineker. He just never came back, but nothing was said.

Having said that, he was bloody rubbish.

I think you will find he quit covering golf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only unshared golf tournament that the BBC hold rights to.

The other tournaments held in the UK had their pathetic Thursday and Friday 2.15pm start on BBC2 why they were forced to share with Sky. The Open is the only tournament held in the UK that the BBC do proper justice to.

Since its the only place that golf gets a real audience then no doubt they will stay with the Beeb for the forseeable.
    Would be embarassing having the biggest golf event in the world and it couldn't muster a million people watching it.
    Hence the Masters were clever enough to ensure that happened to their event when it came to the key time of the tournament. Fine having the early stages on SKY but when it mattered the The Masters still got the big audience with BBC coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Since its the only place that golf gets a real audience then no doubt they will stay with the Beeb for the forseeable.
    Would be embarassing having the biggest golf event in the world and it couldn't muster a million people watching it.
    Hence the Masters were clever enough to ensure that happened to their event when it came to the key time of the tournament. Fine having the early stages on SKY but when it mattered the The Masters still got the big audience with BBC coverage.

But talking about the old days when the PGA at Wentworth and Scottish Open were exclusively live on the BBC (not talking about the open), it was apalling that they first came on air at 2.15pm Thursday's and Friday's, off air dead on 6pm while the likes of Bargain Hunt, Homes under the hammer, Cookery shows took precedence over live morning golf. No evening highlights. If you missed it the 2.15pm to 6pm coverage, it was the case of tough, you'll have to tune in the next day at 2.15pm. That was a terrible situation, no wonder the European PGA were so unhappy.

I wouldn't wish for the Open to go to Sky at all nor for all 4 rounds of the Masters, PGA at Wentworth and the Scottish Open to go on Sky. I never actually said they should.

But why are people so seriously worried just because Sky have 2 rounds of the PGA, Scottish Open and The Masters live. In America they only get to see 2 rounds live FTA at the weekend. It will be no different here with the Masters, PGA and Scottish Open. Don't get too seriously worried over something that will not happen.

The arrangement is perfectly fine the way it is now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have always got to see a lot more coverage of ordinary PGA tournaments on American TV than you ever saw of ordinary European Tour ones on the BBC.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compared to Sky though the actual quality of the BBC coverage is apalling. A lot of this has to do with the actual pictures. I believe the company used is different to the normal European tour & it shows for anyone used to the normal tour events.
    We miss so much, hardly see anything except putts, focus too much on a couple of golfers & all those crowd shots & arty farty angles!
    This morning was a perfect example. Apart from the putts virtually nothing was shown of Thomas Bjorn Or Jimenez.
    Sky use a dedicated camera team who cover golf week in & week out & know exactly what they are doing. The commentary is pretty bad too, although at least Sam Torrance has gone. Peter Aliss' whimsy is getting a bit tiresome & it's obvious half of the commentatots have no idea about some of the players, even well known European tour players.
    Yiou don't half miss Richard Boxall & Wayne Riley when they aren't there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    Compared to Sky though the actual quality of the BBC coverage is apalling. A lot of this has to do with the actual pictures. I believe the company used is different to the normal European tour & it shows for anyone used to the normal tour events.
    We miss so much, hardly see anything except putts, focus too much on a couple of golfers & all those crowd shots & arty farty angles!
    This morning was a perfect example. Apart from the putts virtually nothing was shown of Thomas Bjorn Or Jimenez.
    Sky use a dedicated camera team who cover golf week in & week out & know exactly what they are doing. The commentary is pretty bad too, although at least Sam Torrance has gone. Peter Aliss' whimsy is getting a bit tiresome & it's obvious half of the commentatots have no idea about some of the players, even well known European tour players.

I have to agree with the above. Do the BBC team (Ken Brown excepted) not follow the European and PGA tours?

Wayne Grady is especially poor.

The best hour today was when CBS's Jim Nantz was in the box (whilst on holiday).
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Yes, Hazel Irving and Dan Walker in the morning.

But who's going to accompany Hazel on presenting duty on the final day as for well-documented reasons, Sundays are off-limits for young Daniel...;)
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    But who's going to accompany Hazel on presenting duty on the final day as for well-documented reasons, Sundays are off-limits for young Daniel...;)

She'll probably present all the coverage over the weekend. They're still on air for quite a long time, but not 11 hours
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nh3com wrote: »
    i agree it was pathetic last year and have to say if McIlroy wasnt teeing off at 9:09 then they would have been yacking for an hour without any golf!

You'll find that McIlroy teed off at 9:09 because the BBC coverage started at 9. The same has happened for years with Tiger Woods
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »

Sky's Steve Beddow is doing holes 14-16 on the BBC's red button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But talking about the old days when the PGA at Wentworth and Scottish Open were exclusively live on the BBC (not talking about the open), it was apalling that they first came on air at 2.15pm Thursday's and Friday's, off air dead on 6pm while the likes of Bargain Hunt, Homes under the hammer, Cookery shows took precedence over live morning golf. No evening highlights. If you missed it the 2.15pm to 6pm coverage, it was the case of tough, you'll have to tune in the next day at 2.15pm. That was a terrible situation, no wonder the European PGA were so unhappy.

I wouldn't wish for the Open to go to Sky at all nor for all 4 rounds of the Masters, PGA at Wentworth and the Scottish Open to go on Sky. I never actually said they should.

But why are people so seriously worried just because Sky have 2 rounds of the PGA, Scottish Open and The Masters live. In America they only get to see 2 rounds live FTA at the weekend. It will be no different here with the Masters, PGA and Scottish Open. Don't get too seriously worried over something that will not happen.

The arrangement is perfectly fine the way it is now.

No, I agree with the way it works now. SKY having Thursday and Friday means the main coverage is available for the masses on the weekend. Its how they do it in USA isn't it ?

So long as The Open stays where it is I think Golf have it just about right.