cheap present for husbands birthday (east of England)

merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I have scoured the internet for ideas and thought I would turn to you lovely lot on ds for ideas.

Basically we are a little short of cash (like most) and my hubster has asked me not to spend too much on his birthday but just to do something 'nice'

He is a quiet type, into programming and gardening, 26 years old, doesn't like clubbing. We live in the east of england (between suffolk, cambridge, norfolk and essex) and I am happy to travel.

The problem is we have explored most areas around us in terms of walking etc... We have punted in cambridge, rowed in flatford and he always went to cromer and surrounding areas on holiday as a child.

I am lost of somewhere to take him/ an activity to do. He's not into massage.

My budget is about £50. I was going to spend about £10 on some bits like books he can unwrap.

Please can someone give me an idea of something nice to surprise him and do. He has a wii and a high powered computer and I am tempted to enable him to have a gamers day, but not sure what games are good (he loves mario and GTA.)

Please help!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Being the the east of England and the area you are in, have you thought of Go Ape?

http://goape.co.uk/

The nearest one to you would be in Thetford Forest, between Thetford and Brandon.

I haven't done it for a couple of years, but it was great fun and there's nothing like climbing trees and hanging of zip lines!
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he a outdoor type ? Are you looking for some sort of adventure day out ?
  • merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks maleko, do u need to have a group of people for go ape?

He loves the outdoors, and hates sitting around and 'wasting a day' which is my preference lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Get him a camera. You can't go wrong with a camera. Use indoors or outdoors.
    If you like walking etc...take snaps of the nature / wildlife on your walks and share the images on flickr & the like...

For indoor use, well, ahem... use your imagination.

£50 will get you an OK digital camera.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a digital slr. Was a wedding present. That would have been a lovely idea though :) for our anniversary last year I made him a kind of picture book with all the things we had done during our marriage with a few extracts from me... He did really like that!
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try find a segway day - it's something you wouldn't buy for yourself normally, and it's great fun! Deals are fairly easy to find.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Thanks maleko, do u need to have a group of people for go ape?

He loves the outdoors, and hates sitting around and 'wasting a day' which is my preference lol.

When I did Go Ape it was for someone else's birthday, so there was a small group - I think you can do it on your own though.

MarzBar85 wrote: »
    Try find a segway day - it's something you wouldn't buy for yourself normally, and it's great fun! Deals are fairly easy to find.

Interestingly enough, the link I gave for Go-Ape shows information about segways in forest settings - offroad segways! Haven't done it yet, but it does look like fun!

http://goape.co.uk/forest-segway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If go ape is your typical tree walkway type place then it will be more fun if there are group of you doing it. Sessions are not mega expensive so you may be able to afford inviting a few along.

Also keep an eye on groupon and the other voucher places, they often have deals on for these types of activities. We picked up vouchers for rope runners which is similar concept, its based at secret nuclear bunker in Kelvedon Hatch which should not be too far for you. They also do a lot of other activities there as well and of course you can also visit the nuclear bunkers which is pretty spooky,

http://www.roperunners.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=35&Itemid=97
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Do you like animals? There are various local places where you can do animal experiences. Africa Alive in Lowestoft has a safari trip where you can feed giraffes and things and Banham Zoo does a variety of keeper experiences, including a Birds of Prey experience.
    Or take a small boat on the Broads? £50 will get you a couple of hours and you can moor up and have a picnic. Great fun - if the weather is good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may look at the broads (we got engaged on the broads so has lovely memories) and sedgeway. We looked at going to the nuclear bucker. Is it near manningtree?

I've always thought africa alive looks as though its for children but I may have a look at the days out. We did recently win one in chesington.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The secret bunker is at Kelvedon Hatch.

I went to Thetford Forest last week, and it was quite good, bike rides, sedgeway, goape and there is always Centre Parcs, literally right round the corner that offers lots of different activities as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I would recommend buying him an mushroom knife, consists of brush and knife blade incorporated with nice wooden handle; ideal for mushroom picking, get a mushroom book as well for your £50.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    If he's really into gardening how about going to a website such as the Royal Horticultural Society and possibly visiting a few of the gardens local to yourselves.
  • PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he grow vegetables? if not, how about getting him an allotment? the annual fee may be £20 & the rest could be given in garden vouchers? if they're booked you could put him on the waiting list for next year.

Does he like wine or beer? you could get a nice wine/beer making kit, with all the apparatus? or a wine tasting session at a local vineyard (or brewery)

Does he like to cook? maybe there is a local cookery school or farm shop that do a sausage making course, or curry course or something?

These pressies last for years to come & you can both benefit :D x
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A magazine subscription. Sounds dull, but it's a pleasant surprise each month when it lands on the doormat. Yup, I have the memory of a goldfish.
  • QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Bomber Command day out HERE Not expensive to get in but well worth a trip. There is also one at Duxford but its a bit more expensive. Take a picnic. It does not have to be expensive to have a great day out :D
  • bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.essexfalconrydays.co.uk/falconry-experience-days/

I'm not sure how near this is to you or whether it would appeal to your OH but i bought one for my dad and brother about 10 years and they still talk about it. And the photos are amazing. Best thing is you can go with him for next to nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may look at the broads (we got engaged on the broads so has lovely memories) and sedgeway. We looked at going to the nuclear bucker. Is it near manningtree?

I've always thought africa alive looks as though its for children but I may have a look at the days out. We did recently win one in chesington.

by your location description I thought your were closer to haverhill. nuclear bunker is about 10 minutes from brentwood, down the A12 for you. I would say about one hour drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I'm near Diss, not sure how my location was set up! My other half works in cambridge, I work in norwich and we have family in essex so no problems with travelling.

All the suggestions have been fab. We had an allotment but we let it go as it took up a lot of time.

I will look at the falconary day and the bomber command day.

He also has all the brew stuff (annoying like that lol) so there is nothing he really wants lol.

You can hire a canoe on the broads too, which might be fun and is quite reasonable.

Keep your suggestions coming they have been brilliant.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    For my brother's birthday I bought him a voucher for a tour of a brewery and Winery with tasting afterwards and discount in the shop.